There are a few thousand games on PS5, only a small % of them run at 30FPS. Breaks the illusion and myth that this gen would mostly be 30fps games.

PlacidusaX

Veteran
24 Oct 2022
it absolutely is fine. it's not 24fps.
It's not ideal. 40 or 60 is better. but it's fine.
and most people play far away from their tv. I play with 48" c1 on my desk, very close and it's fine even in that case.

Don't spread your inability to adapt to others.
60 needs motion blur enabled.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: balrogboy

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
60 needs motion blur enabled.
of course it does.
When I had 240hz monitor few years ago, it was the first refresh rate with enough frames, to make games motion look just as good with and without motion blur.
I mean, there are so many frames at 240fps, you don't really need any motion blur. There are enough frames to create full motion in your brain.
with 30 and 60, the gaps are big enough you need to cheat accordingly.
The rule would be like with the camera. Each frame needs to capture motion since the last frame. so 30fps, each frame should not be static but contain 33ms of motion (so blur). At 240fps, the gaps are so small, it looks just like so. checked with doom 2016 !!!

Reactions: PlacidusaX

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
I don’t mind 30fps. But I’m now realizing I haven’t played a game in that frame rate in 4 years 😭

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I don’t mind 30fps. But I’m now realizing I haven’t played a game in that frame rate in 4 years 😭
Yeah I hvnt noticed either because most games are above tht or have the option.

peter42O

Veteran
Icon Extra
12 Jan 2024
How many of those games are current generation (PlayStation 5/Xbox Series) only? Cross-generation games should have no problem having a 60fps mode.

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
Where did he find the time to test all those? 😳
Here

Z8vi2i.gif

Reactions: KvallyX

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
30fps is fine, 60fps is 1000x better

But more devs need to start adding a 40fps mode...if PS5 Pro can't do 60fps on certain games, then it should have a 4k 40fps mode minimum at the least.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
There definitely aren't 3140 games on PS5 that aren't backwards compatible. See where the confusion arises?
The definituve number he put isn't finite and there's a little over four thst aren't hence I changed the title yesterday. Point still stands a resounding amount of games mostly have a 60fps option.

Last edited:
Reactions: KvallyX

balrogboy

Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Anyway - 30fps is fine. Rebirth was fine at 30, ff16 also, plenty of games play good at 30. I have no issues with it if it's well done... which it rarely is this gen because stupid modes ruined everything.
I used to think like this, then I got 60fps in mostly everything and then I was like "oh no 30 is trash."
But after a while I started thinking differently.
30 is only bad is directly compared to 60fps, like, if you are playing something in performance mode and then switch to 30 its horrendous.
But I started my second playthrough of Alan Wake 2 and this time I'm playing in Quality mode and its honestly not bad at all, if your eyes are ajusted its actually pretty smooth.
The biggest issue comes when FPS is unstable, if you're playing something at 60 and it drops to 50 even you'll definitivelly notice it, which is why I assume these games are locked to 30, so it has stable fps rather than something that floats between 40 and 60, making it a terrible experience. (if you want to know what I mean try playing The evil within 2 on ps4 with unlocked framerate, its jarring having some parts running at 60 then sudenly its 30 and it feels super choppy)

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer

balrogboy

Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I play a bunch of ps4 games that arent patched to run at 60 and while I think 30fps is fine 60 will always be prefferable.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
The only people pushing the narrative that this gen would be 30fps are the trashy Xbox losers like Colteastwood. Redfall and Starfield were 30fps so they tried to say it'd be the norm
I used to think like this, then I got 60fps in mostly everything and then I was like "oh no 30 is trash."
But after a while I started thinking differently.
30 is only bad is directly compared to 60fps, like, if you are playing something in performance mode and then switch to 30 its horrendous.
But I started my second playthrough of Alan Wake 2 and this time I'm playing in Quality mode and its honestly not bad at all, if your eyes are ajusted its actually pretty smooth.
The biggest issue comes when FPS is unstable, if you're playing something at 60 and it drops to 50 even you'll definitivelly notice it, which is why I assume these games are locked to 30, so it has stable fps rather than something that floats between 40 and 60, making it a terrible experience. (if you want to know what I mean try playing The evil within 2 on ps4 with unlocked framerate, its jarring having some parts running at 60 then sudenly its 30 and it feels super choppy)
@rofif is right, playing at 30fps immediately after 60fps is awful. But force yourself to play at 30fps for a few hours and you get used to it and after a while it doesn’t bother you anymore

Reactions: rofif and KvallyX
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
The only people pushing the narrative that this gen would be 30fps are the trashy Xbox losers like Colteastwood. Redfall and Starfield were 30fps so they tried to say it'd be the norm

@rofif is right, playing at 30fps immediately after 60fps is awful. But force yourself to play at 30fps for a few hours and you get used to it and after a while it doesn’t bother you anymore
Yeah after awhile I don't notice.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: balrogboy