To be honest with people here what good has activision done for video games in the last couple console gens?

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
activision was already destroying itself when it merged with blizzard. Personally I hope they destroy cod and buy ubisoft and destroy that too. I’d rather rid gaming Of these trash companies. I mean these are the same guys who responded to consumers with a “Don’t you have phones” when they were showing their games off.

Weirdly enough all im hearing is buzz around cod and how taking it away from playstation is bad. To me if that was the only game then who cares lol. Ive always heard more negativity around it than anything good.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Playstation Sucka

8 Jan 2023
Multiplayer is the only one I can actually think of people like to complain but their live service package has like multiple modes and options where Halo and battlefield lagged behind

Last edited:

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Couple generations? Guitar Hero, Skylanders, COD:MW, they've created or redefined entire genres. Granted, most of those aren't the games I want to play, but they've definitely done stuff.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
I think OP went one gen too far back lol.

COD4:MW revolutionized competitive FPS.

Outside of that nothing special, and just your typitcal run of the mill publisher funding titles.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Snes nes

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
activision was already destroying itself when it merged with blizzard. Personally I hope they destroy cod and buy ubisoft and destroy that too. I’d rather rid gaming Of these trash companies. I mean these are the same guys who responded to consumers with a “Don’t you have phones” when they were showing their games off.

Weirdly enough all im hearing is buzz around cod and how taking it away from playstation is bad. To me if that was the only game then who cares lol. Ive always heard more negativity around it than anything good.
Activision is overrated as Fck and this deal is a big meh to me even if they pulled all their games from ps. I’ve haven’t touched cod in nearly 6 yrs, I don’t play Diablo, don’t play overwatch, I was only interested in the sypro and crash collections but I have no interest in new games from those franchises. As a gamer I don’t so wtf activation has to offer me. I did like StarCraft 2 back in the day but I don’t play rats games like I used to.

Activision currently has no new games announced coming anytime soon. They have a rumored survival game which I have zero interest in. Even Diablo fans are disappoin the current Diablo, overwatch fans are disappointed in the state of the game, the new cod is dlc with a premium price. I see nothing for activision but more decline as Microsoft try’s to squeeze money out of it to make this deal worth it. They are going to monetize the Fck out of anything that comes from abk and focus on pc and mobile. Abk is trash and will continue to be trash.

• fire

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Last ABK game I loved was Sekiro. They put out some real garbage, them leaving PS will only make the brand more quality.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
What they did in redefining fps was ages ago/generations ago. But COD is still the gold standard for a great, smooth playing fps.

I also use to love Warzone so I guess although that was a push to enter the field Fortnite built I appreciate their work on the ftp Warzone. Ppl who cannot afford or buy maby games at least can play a ftp, competent, realistic BR COD.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Cmon guys. Strong toxic ex girlfriend energy from this thread. Just move on and let go. Activision, EA, Rockstar and Fortnite are the backbone of console gaming. Its not that PS gamers are savants that play Team ICO games and Dwarf Fortress... they play the same tired MP shooters and sports games that bring a crapton of money. Add mobile to the equation and...

MS just wants to leech from Sony and Nintendos income. They wont change much, its in their best interests to leave the MP moneymakers in as many platforms as possible. Much easier than to take the games from the competition and expect 100M more customers to get an xbox.

Last edited:

EightC

11 Jul 2022
They also have a massive back catalogue of games. You have franchises like Crash, Spyro, Tony Hawk, Wow, COD and King which is a behemoth of a company in itself. It'll be interesting to see what they do because most of their franchises they now have are best suited for multi-platform and I honestly can't see MS flipping a switch and being like it's all on Xbox now it's just far too much money for them to leave on the table and now they have to pay for this purchase. I think for MS just being able to put COD on gamepass day one will help them cause that is a pretty massive value for a lot of people. I can definitely see some smaller titles going first party only but their big ones will most likely stay multi-platform at least for several years to come.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
They were really on fire during the 360 / PS3 genation, just as multiplayer hit its stride, they had COD.

As others have said, combining characters into Skylanders, Tony Hawks, Guitar Hero, Transformers games and even Spider-man.

But since then? Nothing but cruising and doubling down on COD's success and popularity. It's become a factory for the same type of game annually.
It's not a creative pursuit in this regard anymore. Just new skins on the same concept.

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
They aren't leaving playstation
Playstation players have the moolah
All future non CoD games are for a limited time. If it was about money then post Bethesda acquisition games would still be on Playstation. I can see CoD shenanigans happening that will stop before the 10 years. Maybe a rebrand of the game to a different name with moving staff out of the studios remembered for making CoD and sunsetting them.

OP
OP
Snes nes

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
I think OP went one gen too far back lol.

COD4:MW revolutionized competitive FPS.

Outside of that nothing special, and just your typitcal run of the mill publisher funding titles.

Did people forget it was a quake clone originally? It wasn’t really even an innovation in that regard. Sure I mean it was better when it was fresh but now all I hear is more talk about fortnite than either of the previous games I mentioned.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Activision has been the worst publisher for like 20 years. When EA was getting hate from everybody during the Riccitello period, Activision was still worse.

24 Jun 2022
I think the Guitar Hero & DJ Hero (and Rock Band) stuff was pretty good, actually. Had fun with those. Too bad that phased out the colorful character-driven rhythm games like Parappa/UmJammer and Gitaroo Man, which IMHO are superior rhythm game experiences.

They (MS/ABK) have already name-dropped bringing Guitar Hero back so while on one hand I'm interested to see what they do with that IP, on the other hand I'm worried they're just going to ruin it with rampant GaaS monetization BS and chop the whole thing up as a result.

Sony should strongly be considering bringing back Parappa/UmJammer, Fanta Vision, and Amplitude. Wipeout, as well. They're the ones who really spearheaded and set the standard for rhythm games and strong music infusion in games atmospherically. Don't let MS run away with that unchallenged.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
I think the Guitar Hero & DJ Hero (and Rock Band) stuff was pretty good, actually. Had fun with those. Too bad that phased out the colorful character-driven rhythm games like Parappa/UmJammer and Gitaroo Man, which IMHO are superior rhythm game experiences.

They (MS/ABK) have already name-dropped bringing Guitar Hero back so while on one hand I'm interested to see what they do with that IP, on the other hand I'm worried they're just going to ruin it with rampant GaaS monetization BS and chop the whole thing up as a result.

Sony should strongly be considering bringing back Parappa/UmJammer, Fanta Vision, and Amplitude. Wipeout, as well. They're the ones who really spearheaded and set the standard for rhythm games and strong music infusion in games atmospherically. Don't let MS run away with that unchallenged.
I like DJ hero ... If they revive it I can't see it being exclusive since they cant just chuck it on gamepass when it needs the peripherals so they'd need actual sales