Tom Henderson on PS5 Slim: "I'm inclined to believe it will just be called a PS5 and branded as an improved model. It's my understanding that this new

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Yeah Id guess the PS5 with BD are significantly outselling the digital model, but Sony doesn't want to stop making them. So this way they can mass produce one box and still offer both options. I think youre right about the availability of add-on drives in stores, but Sony will probably sell them direct.
I think that making the disk optional is also the point. Moving people to downloads only makes them tons of money with the savings on physical disc printing, labelling, boxes, storage, transport, stores displays, etc. So they get pure money.

Also, if they cut down their production price and distribution costs then don't pass on the savings to their clients this is like a stealth price hike.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Yeah Id guess the PS5 with BD are significantly outselling the digital model, but Sony doesn't want to stop making them. So this way they can mass produce one box and still offer both options. I think youre right about the availability of add-on drives in stores, but Sony will probably sell them direct.
Sony needs to maintain focus on a disc based model. Discs are what gives Sony the retail exposure to the mass market, not just gamers that know what they are looking for.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
This is ps5 consoles we’re discussing, not game sales right?
Sony needs to maintain focus on a disc based model. Discs are what gives Sony the retail exposure to the mass market

The console itself is what gives the retail exposure and great AAA games (marketing-high scores-word of mouth) is what makes it desirable to the mass market.

so no, Sony doesn't need to maintain focus on a disc based model in order to achieve exposure to the mass market, that model is for the hardcore gamers....and they already have one, for them, it will be the PS5Pro next.

• brain
Reactions: Shmunter
17 Jun 2023

I don't know anything about the recent PlayStation Slim rumors and when it will be revealed. Logically, with a release set for September, a reveal soon makes sense. As for if it will be called the "Slim" or not, I'm inclined to believe it will just be called a PS5 and branded as an improved model. It's my understanding that this new model will completely replace the current PlayStation 5 with the last units hitting shelves by the end of the year

Don’t assume it is a “slim” unless it is official from Sony, though I highly doubt it will be called that given that it is not. Though people assuming so and complaining about it not being “slim”… is hilarious.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
If it's slim or not is completely irrelevant. It's probably going to be smaller because the internals of the regular PS5 have already reduced in size considerably.

To me the most interesting info is if the detachable disc reader is actually real or not.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Would be very Apple of Sony to remove the option for a disk drive, opting to sell separately.

Would also make the og disk model a rarity similar to the original PS3 model.

If they make it cheaper than the current digital model it will be a decent choice

Last edited:
Reactions: BroodCorp