Tom Henderson: We'll see "Launching on Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 5, Nintendo Switch 2, and PC" a heck of a lot in 12-18 months

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
This Gen has picked up just fine, with PS5 selling like the PS2 did.

What colour is the sky in your world?

I would like you to show me those sales that suggest this. I have seen many complain anbout this generation and last I checked its still lagging behind the Switch In sales.
I’ve seen some stupid things said around here, but this takes the cake.

And by cake, I mean moldy dog turd.

this is basic knowledge that sales do not equal profits. They make the money back via hardware sales not consoles sold.

This person is one of many consumers complaining about the lack Of a graphical upgrade from the previous generation. Personally to Me there’s been a lack of interesting Looking games this gen.

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
I would like you to show me those sales that suggest this. I have seen many complain anbout this generation and last I checked its still lagging behind the Switch In sales.

this is basic knowledge that sales do not equal profits. They make the money back via hardware sales not consoles sold.

This person is one of many consumers complaining about the lack Of a graphical upgrade from the previous generation.
It is deminishing return, the more polygons the less of a jump it would be.

If you are old enough you will remember people complaining FF13 on PS3 looks similar to FFX on PS2, and more hallway too.

PS5 actually tracking more than the Switch though, what Sony lacks is evergreen franchises like Mario to compete with Nintendo...

Not to mention Switch got the pandamic boost and doesn't suffer an shortage too.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

For a few indies or AA games that require small horsepower, maybe. Most of them will continue not being released on the Nintendo portable. And even less with big AAA games: most fo them won't release on Switch 2 due to lack of horsepower.

Same as happened with Switch 1 and most previous Nintendo systems.

Last edited:

sugarbetik

Banned
30 Jun 2023
Yeah, that's why I doubt it will be sold ar $400. It will be $349 at most and that's still very expensive. Otherwise, the hardware is way less powerful than Steam Deck
It's not going to have any problem at $400 since oled Switch is selling over 16 million units in less than 2 years.

reziel

Banned
12 Jun 2023
Didn’t a document from court leaked say, that the performance will be close to a Standard PS4 and Xbox One?
I doubt that Nintendo would take a loss on hardware for performant specs. Nintendo can’t afford to go over 400.00 price tag. A Handheld with PS4 pro specs would be to expensive to manufacture. The new Asus ROG handheld doesn’t even support 1440p or 4k to begin with. 4k and 60fps for a handheld under 400.00 is not viable.

Edit: Sounds like MH6 will be held back by Switch 2…

Yep there's definitely a reason it's not called Monster Hunter World 2 and we all know why.

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
“lagging behind switch”

Switch is a handheld.

He said ps2 level hardware sales. I’d like to see something that truly suggests the ps5 is outselling the switch. Handheld or not shouldn’t matter. Their Sales should be equavalent to one another.

It is deminishing return, the more polygons the less of a jump it would be.

If you are old enough you will remember people complaining FF13 on PS3 looks similar to FFX on PS2, and more hallway too.

Maybe because those were games on the previous systems and not much you can do about that To begin with. Personally I think crysis still looks alright. Sonic unleashed still looks great as well not as good as frontiers.
PS5 actually tracking more than the Switch though, what Sony lacks is evergreen franchises like Mario to compete with Nintendo...

The ps5 is currently barely ahead of the n64 which had similar sales in a spam of five years. I believe there is a problem with Sony exclusives not being on the same playing field as nintendos games are.

Not to mention Switch got the pandamic boost and doesn't suffer an shortage too.

the pandemic has been used as a excuse for a lot of things imo. I won’t say it didn’t play a role in the problem but i think a lot of this boils down to a lackluster launch with Titles like cyberpunk that should’ve been ready by then.

There’s good games in there sure but most of the good games in there are just remasters or in Spider-Man’s case a good idea but nothing that couldn’t be put on a competing platform.

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I'm wary of this kind of announcement, which means absolutely nothing.
It was the same promise with the Switch before its launch. Third-party publishers were to make a comeback at Nintendo, and we've seen the results.

A small reminder

That was on a old at the time piece of hardware when PS4 games could kind of run on switch with some caveats. Also no Nvidia DLSS was available to help with performance delta differences. Now it looks like NVIDIA has got its way in having Nintendo go with a much stronger chip where they can support DLSS. Meaning profile wise for third party's porting a game over will not mean making a complete different/shit version.

I said this a while ago "if XBox were to become even more irrelevant if there was anyone to keep Sony on their toes its Nintendo". If third party versions are good versions and not monstrosities like MK1, then you will see a good amount of people in Japan among other regions consider Nintendo as their primary for more than Nintendo first party.

To me this is bad for Microsoft not Sony as much.

Reactions: Snes nes

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
“lagging behind switch”

Switch is a handheld.

It’s not even that. That person is just plain wrong.

PS5 has been outselling Switch all year. It’s the market leader in regions, except Japan, this year. It’s up YoY every month by a significant amount.

People really don’t know how to evaluate sales. Especially with a product that launched 3 years before PS5.

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
So can someone challenge my opinion? I’d like to see how I’m wrong. Outselling this year isnt even the whole picture it’s still behind the switch. I’m looking at units total not market fluctuations and the things I had in my original
post. Like a poor launch.

If I’m wrong then I’m wrong it’s nothing important to me I’d just like to see whats suggesting this.

Last edited:

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
So can someone challenge my opinion? I’d like to see how I’m wrong. Outselling this year isnt even the whole picture it’s still behind the switch. I’m looking at units total not market fluctuations and the things I had in my original
post. Like a poor launch.

If I’m wrong then I’m wrong it’s nothing important to me I’d just like to see whats suggesting this.

SMH wow. Outselling the Switch this year is indeed the whole picture. It’s showing PS5 is in more demand than the Switch and Xbox.

Unit total? Are you kidding me? My point still stands. You are not comparing PS5 and Switch correctly.

Why do you believe Switch total sales is more than PS5 right now? Could it be because it launched in 2017? Nearly 3 years before PS5? It’s not rocket science.

• brain
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
SMH wow. Outselling the Switch this year is indeed the whole picture. It’s showing PS5 is in more demand than the Switch and Xbox.

Okay it did but thats not the entire picture.

As stated in the article this is because it’s past it’s lifespan? they have to rely on their current user base to buy their games. I think they’ve done a good job keeping interest in it.

Unit total? Are you kidding me? My point still stands. You are not comparing PS5 and Switch correctly.

I think being the third best selling console in a long time vs the ps5 3 years in is telling something is arwy. iirc switch sold more three years in.
Why do you believe Switch total sales is more than PS5 right now?

it’s not. But you know their games are doing better than sonys big titles out right now?
Could it be because it launched in 2017? Nearly 3 years before PS5? It’s not rocket science.

already addressed in my previous post:

the pandemic has been used as a excuse for a lot of things imo. I won’t say it didn’t play a role in the problem but i think a lot of this boils down to a lackluster launch with Titles like cyberpunk that should’ve been ready by then.

A article even suggests what I’m saying.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
Okay it did but thats not the entire picture.

As stated in the article this is because it’s past it’s lifespan? they have to rely on their current user base to buy their games. I think they’ve done a good job keeping interest in it.

I think being the third best selling console in a long time vs the ps5 3 years in is telling something is arwy. iirc switch sold more three years in.

it’s not. But you know their games are doing better than sonys big titles out right now?

already addressed in my previous post:

A article even suggests what I’m saying.

You are still not getting it. Sorry but nothing you posted addresses my point or changes it.

You ever heard of the term launched aligned? You use it when products did not launch at the same time to compare sales of said products over the same time period.

Launch aligned PS5 is selling equal to and more than the Switch. This year PS5 is leading all hardware sales.

The fact that the Switch sold 130M is irrelevant. Of course it’s total sales is higher. It came out in 2017. The PS5 is tracking the along side and ahead of the Switch across the same time period so far.

By March PS5 will have sold over 65M consoles.

You are looking for too many excuses to prove Switch is selling better than PS5. It’s not.

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
You are still not getting it. Sorry but nothing you posted addresses my point or changes it.

could you actually counter the arguments presented?
You ever heard of the term launched aligned? You use it when products did not launch at the same time to compare sales of said products over the same time period.

I did it’s in the middle of its lifespan. I recall the switch selling more.
Launch aligned PS5 is selling equal to and more than the Switch. This year PS5 is leading all hardware sales.

I see market fluctuations between the two consoles and data that suggests otherwise. maybe not the most accurate data but its still a good estimate.
The fact that the Switch sold 130M is irrelevant. Of course it’s total sales is higher. It came out in 2017. The PS5 is tracking the along side and ahead of the Switch across the same time period so far.

I’m not sure your understanding what I’m trying to say here.
By March PS5 will have sold over 65M consoles.

In a three year timespan it’s sold less than the n64 it could take A sudden shift and start selling less or maybe more. Time will tell.

You are looking for too many excuses to prove Switch is selling better than PS5. It’s not.

The units total tell a different story. You failed to even counter argue anything I’ve said and just told Me I didn’t know anything about what I’m saying without backing your own arguments. All I’ve seen is a fluctuation Between the two companies. Perhaps that’s because the portable/home console approach allowed for higher sales?

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
You just used vgchartz. Your argument in invalid.

My counter argument is exactly that you don’t know how to compare sales. That’s the main point. There’s no reason for me to argue anything further if you can’t understand how sales work.

Why are you using Switch total sales to prove PS5 is not selling better? It launch 3 years ago. Of course it going to have higher sales. Are you going to use same sales comparison when Switch 2 is released next year and has only a few million sales compared to PS5 75M-80M? I bet you won’t.

Once again…..you still do not get it.