Tom Warren and Paul Tassi get into a scrap on Twitter regarding Xbox strategy

Shadow2027

15 Dec 2023
In all fairness the 360 was magnificent. It did things with standards that have been lost since that generation.

If they just built on that instead of hitting the rest button to a lesser system, things could have worked out.
Magnificent? :ROFLMAO:

No it was not, please stop. It introduced paid online (worst thing ever in the history of console gaming), paywall for basic functionalities, pushed hard for microtransactions, it had SKUs with no HDMI, no HDD and no wirless controllers and all units produced in the first 3~4 years die quickly due to RRoD. MS also changed focus completely to Kinect mid gen while Sony had a far better library of game in the end.

Xbox 360 fucking sucked and RRoD, Kinect and PS3 fucking up are the only reason why it isn't looked as just another bombed out Xbox.
It was mainly competitive because sony got in their own way with price difference and making development harder for 3rd parties. The 360 was horrible and having 2 of 3 of mine red ring, its install base size was largely inflated by people having to buy replacements

Durondo12

Banned
26 Nov 2023
I think the funniest part is Xbox fanboys thinking these publisher acquisition would result in 3rd party franchise rip off PS & permanently exclusive to Xbox when it looks like Xbox will be 3rd party anyways in the next 10 years
10 years? Nah I give it 5 to 6 years into next-gen.

OP
OP
Shmunter

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022

No it was not, please stop. It introduced paid online (worst thing ever in the history of console gaming), paywall for basic functionalities, pushed hard for microtransactions, it had SKUs with no HDMI, no HDD and no wirless controllers and all units produced in the first 3~4 years die quickly due to RRoD. MS also changed focus completely to Kinect mid gen while Sony had a far better library of game in the end.

Xbox 360 fucking sucked and RRoD, Kinect and PS3 fucking up are the only reason why it isn't looked as just another bombed out Xbox.
Coming from me, someone that spent the generation on the system, and also had a ps3 :

The paid online seemed justified at the time, it was revolutionary in how seamless and integrated all games were at a system level standard, unlike now. Compared to the ps3 at the time it was a no contest.

I dont buy micro transaction and have no recollection of ms leading the charge.

HDMI came post 2005, this is hardly a talking point? Every tv was using component for HD at the time

No hdd was a mind bender, but everything ran fine anyway designed to stream of the dvd. It was a suprise and non issue till much later games started requiring a hdd.

Mine came with wireless controllers, didn’t even know they were sold with wired.

RROD sucked, but my ps3 also YLOD even with significantly less usage, so my experience wasn’t as catastrophic. Regardless, reliability aside, the experience and games all ticked the right boxes…till they started chasing the casual crowd towards the twilight years.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Coming from me, someone that spent the generation on the system, and also had a ps3 :

The paid online seemed justified at the time, it was revolutionary in how seamless and integrated all games were at a system level standard, unlike now. Compared to the ps3 at the time it was a no contest.

I dont buy micro transaction and have no recollection of ms leading the charge.

HDMI came post 2005, this is hardly a talking point? Every tv was using component for HD at the time

No hdd was a mind bender, but everything ran fine anyway designed to stream of the dvd. It was a suprise and non issue till much later games started requiring a hdd.

Mine came with wireless controllers, didn’t even know they were sold with wired.

RROD sucked, but my ps3 also YLOD even with significantly less usage, so my experience wasn’t as catastrophic. Regardless, reliability aside, the experience and games all ticked the right boxes…till they started chasing the casual crowd towards the twilight years.
All I read are a bunch of excuses. I also had a 360, I'm not easily fooled by people that what to pain the 360 as something it wast.

PS3 having major flaws doesn't redeem the Xbox 360 and makes it better than it actually was. It was a mediocre console at it's best and one of the worst influences we ever had for games.

Paid online and microtransaction are at the core of all the major issues we have had in games for many years, the Xbox was a terrible influence for the console market.

OP
OP
Shmunter

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
All I read are a bunch of excuses. I also had a 360, I'm not easily fooled by people that what to pain the 360 as something it wast.

PS3 having major flaws doesn't redeem the Xbox 360 and makes it better than it actually was. It was a mediocre console at it's best and one of the worst influences we ever had for games.

Paid online and microtransaction are at the core of all the major issues we have had in games for many years, the Xbox was a terrible influence for the console market.
I’m trying to understand your reasoning, but I’m afraid it’s just not gelling for me.

Reactions: Jim Ryan

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I’m trying to understand your reasoning, but I’m afraid it’s just not gelling for me.
If you don't understand how charging for online was a terrible thing for the console market then you will never get it.

What was actually good about the 360 that wasn't just a consequence of how bad the PS3 fucked it up? Pretty much nothing. Paid exclusives like Gears and Mass Effect? RoRD and Kinect massively boosting it's sales?

OP
OP
Shmunter

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
If you don't understand how charging for online was a terrible thing for the console market then you will never get it.

What was actually good about the 360 that wasn't just a consequence of how bad the PS3 fucked it up? Pretty much nothing.
It sucks, but it doesn’t seem to be a deterrent in the slightest with people happily buying consoles and subscribing.

Reactions: Jim Ryan

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
It sucks, but it doesn’t seem to be a deterrent in the slightest with people happily buying consoles and subscribing.
People are morons, it's a rip off and bad influence for console gaming and the thing that set up the gamepass business model that just killed Xbox.

There was never any justifiable reason to charge for online multiplayer, PC had free online all along with cheaper games and it's even a platform that is generally harder to develop for and support.

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
Xbox civil war

Interest Popcorn GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023

Thank you for reminding me that I had to pay for a wireless adapter to use my Xbox. Microsoft has always been this way.

• Shake
Reactions: Nhomnhom