Tom Warren thinks PC ports of PS5 exclusives will release a lot faster after Spider-Man 2

BillyZ

18 Jul 2024
The silliness of this thread is something to behold.

"What!? PlayStation will port Spider-Man 2, 18 months after its PS5 release? It's over, PlayStation will stop making consoles."

Its Over GIF
Why did you add 3 months out of nowhere? It's 15 and it was supposed to be at least 24. So do you see nothing wrong with them lowering the delay more and more?

akira__

29 Sep 2024
Why did you add 3 months out of nowhere? It's 15 and it was supposed to be at least 24. So do you see nothing wrong with them lowering the delay more and more?

Why is it supposed to be 2 years atleast?

How is this release evidence lowering the release date?

And who will have a PC strong enough to run the game?

When they will pc requirements, the pc community will be up in arms. With Alex of df leading the charge.

akira__

29 Sep 2024

Thanks, that is a great chart. It shows that it's deviating from the norm for triple-A single-player perspective.

However, why should porting games 1 year after the fact indicate no more consoles?

GTA6 is going to be at least a 1-year console exclusive, although online talking points are one thing, actual consumer behavior is another.

There seems to be a 3-month period for the launch window for consumers of games.

Highlights
• Denuvo DRM protects total revenue from piracy by a mean of 15% and a median of 20%.
• Piracy causes mean total revenue to decrease by 20% when Denuvo is cracked quickly.
• Piracy causes zero mean total revenue loss when Denuvo survives for 12 weeks or more.

On top of that, the PC requirements for Spider-Man 2 will become another selling point for the PS5, As 90% of PCs already struggled with FF7, Spider-Man 2 will be much more demanding as it relied on exotic ps5 features(asset streaming).

The online outrage will be something else.

BillyZ

18 Jul 2024
Why is it supposed to be 2 years atleast?

How is this release evidence lowering the release date?

And who will have a PC strong enough to run the game?

When they will pc requirements, the pc community will be up in arms. With Alex of df leading the charge.
So you're really going with who cares they won't be able to run it anyway? What a sad cope.

akira__

29 Sep 2024
So you're really going with who cares they won't be able to run it anyway? What a sad cope.

The console war is over, it's a wrap. Xbox will bring their games to ps. It's done.

So I'm going with: "who cares which platform can play the game, and when."

I'm currently worried about which games will get ps5 pro upgrade, and haven't had clear information on upgrades for older titles without a patch.

akira__

29 Sep 2024
I agree and the winners are Valve and Nintendo. Sony and Microsoft are the pathetic losers.
I see, you're a silly goose.

A old Xbox gamer that pretends to be part of the PCMR. But still has a deep hatred for playstation.

Posting on a playstation centric board to concern troll, to get back at playstation for sega and xbox.

This year with all those playstation exclusives, xbox games coming to playstation, and the ps5 pro it must have been difficult for you.

BillyZ

18 Jul 2024
I see, you're a silly goose.

A old Xbox gamer that pretends to be part of the PCMR. But still has a deep hatred for playstation.

Posting on a playstation centric board to concern troll, to get back at playstation for sega and xbox.

This year with all those playstation exclusives, xbox games coming to playstation, and the ps5 pro it must have been difficult for you.
walter white GIF

Just one question, can you explain why an Xbox gamer would buy a PS5 at launch?
rY3zfzl.png

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Boswollox

Boswollox

7 Sep 2024
see, you're a silly goose.

This line of argument is pervasive on this forum and should be a bannable offense. It adds nothing to discussion and boils down to "everyone I disagree with is an Xbot". It's a pointless discussion.

akira__

29 Sep 2024
Just one question, can you explain why an Xbox gamer would buy a PS5 at launch?

That is a good question, why do people who hate playstation buy their consoles and games?

Why post and speak negatively about a brand, take the time to create and push false narratives and concern troll said brand.

But yet still buy their products?

BillyZ

18 Jul 2024
That is a good question, why do people who hate playstation buy their consoles and games?

Why post and speak negnegatively about a brand, take the time to create and push false narratives and concern troll said brand.

But yet still buy their products?

Or maybe I owned all PlayStations but funnily enough the only one I got at launch was the PS5. And what do I get in return? No games and a bunch of PC ports. I'm gonna call them out when they fail, you keep damage controlling if it makes you feel better.

akira__

29 Sep 2024
This line of argument is pervasive on this forum and should be a bannable offense. It adds nothing to discussion and boils down to "everyone I disagree with is an Xbot". It's a pointless discussion.

But what is the context of that post?

Saying that PlayStation lost a console war because Xbox is porting their games to PlayStation is just silly.

Using that to say Valve won makes you PCMR. Especially with stuttergate going on currently.

Going to a playstation centric forum, to only post negativity about the brand is bizarre behavior. There is thread for that stickied at the top of the forum.

"PlayStation has no games" is a decade old Xbox talking point.

Or maybe I owned all PlayStations but funnily enough the only one I got at launch was the PS5. And what do I get in return? No games and a bunch of PC ports.

DarkLordOtaku

18 Oct 2024
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
What makes you think that PlayStation without console would be able to make games of the same quality as now, if at all?
While it's not a perfect indicator, I've been playing a number of their PC ports and really enjoying the games. I thought they did a pretty good job with God of War and Horizon. It seems they're also establishing teams which can port to other consoles, like Switch.

Which is to say, I think they're fostering the correct development infrastructure to support moving exclusively publishing. Though, I want to be clear, that's not what I'm advocating they do, nor do I think it's in their immediate short term strategic future.

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
While it's not a perfect indicator, I've been playing a number of their PC ports and really enjoying the games. I thought they did a pretty good job with God of War and Horizon. It seems they're also establishing teams which can port to other consoles, like Switch.

Which is to say, I think they're fostering the correct development infrastructure to support moving exclusively publishing. Though, I want to be clear, that's not what I'm advocating they do, nor do I think it's in their immediate short term strategic future.
So setting up in a way to produce games of worse quality (because this is what happens when you have to develop for more platforms) is the correct way?

Getting in a position (being a third party publisher) where a single series of commercial failures can get you out of business is the correct way?

Reactions: J_Paganel

BillyZ

18 Jul 2024
But what is the context of that post?

Saying that PlayStation lost a console war because Xbox is porting their games to PlayStation is just silly.

Using that to say Valve won makes you PCMR. Especially with stuttergate going on currently.

Going to a playstation centric forum, to only post negativity about the brand is bizarre behavior. There is thread for that stickied at the top of the forum.

"PlayStation has no games" is a decade old Xbox talking point.
PlayStation has no games maybe wasn't true 10 years ago, now?
22 games but at least 7 of those will be on PC, so 15 exclusives in 4 years, that's really sad to me.

Boswollox

7 Sep 2024
Going to a playstation centric forum, to only post negativity about the brand is bizarre behavior. There is thread for that stickied at the top of the forum
Lurk moar. Go read threads on teamxbox, neogaf and IGN warning how Xbox was doomed, followed by hundreds of posters saying that was Sonypony talk, Xbox was fine and the Xbone would be the best console ever.
What followed was cope of how well the Xbox one was doing LAUNCH ALIGNED WITH DA VREE SIGZDY

It's the same conversation just about a different platform. Same issues, same protests, same inevitable end.

DarkLordOtaku

18 Oct 2024
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
So setting up in a way to produce games of worse quality (because this is what happens when you have to develop for more platforms) is the correct way?

Getting in a position (being a third party publisher) where a single series of commercial failures can get you out of business is the correct way?
I don't think you should aim to make worse games as a developer or publisher. That's not a particularly wise business prospect. While it is true that developing for a single platform is easier, it is an interesting perspective to assert that games developed for cross-platform releases are worse in quality. I can think of a number of releases, including Game of the Year recipients, like Elden Ring, which were designed for cross-platform releases.

I think regardless of if you manufacture hardware or not, releasing a string of commercial failures will always jeopardize your business. If by "correct way," you're referring to their best strategic path forward, I don't think fully pivoting to third party publishing at this time makes sense. However, if they ran numbers and decided it's the best path forward, I could understand the reasoning behind such a decision.

• haha
Reactions: arvfab

akira__

29 Sep 2024
Lurk moar. Go read threads on teamxbox, neogaf and IGN warning how Xbox was doomed, followed by hundreds of posters saying that was Sonypony talk, Xbox was fine and the Xbone would be the best console ever.
What followed was cope of how well the Xbox one was doing LAUNCH ALIGNED WITH DA VREE SIGZDY

It's the same conversation just about a different platform. Same issues, same protests, same inevitable end.

"PlayStation doomed"
homer simpson simpsons GIF

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
I don't think you should aim to make worse games as a developer or publisher. That's not a particularly wise business prospect. While it is true that developing for a single platform is easier, it is an interesting perspective to assert that games developed for cross-platform releases are worse in quality. I can think of a number of releases, including Game of the Year recipients, like Elden Ring, which were designed for cross-platform releases.

Elden Ring isn't even the best From game, let alone GotY worthy, but assuming it was, the multiplatform development still led to a worse experience for all players, shown by the multitude of bugs and technical issues it launched with.

You can count on a hand the multiplatform releases which equal in quality the exclusive ones, and those usually take even longer to develop.

I think regardless of if you manufacture hardware or not, releasing a string of commercial failures will always jeopardize your business.

Yet having constant revenue due to subscriptions and hardware sales should be enough of a safety cushion, ensuring not going out of business.

Look at what happened to Konami and how they are now slowly getting into game dev again and that in the safest of way, with remakes and remasters.