TOMBA IS COMING BACK (PS4/PS5/SWITCH/STEAM)!!!

24 Jun 2022

This is awesome. Tomba and Tomba 2 are two of my favorite games on PS1, and in general. Awesome, funny, quirky, challenging (but not unfair) and a good amount of Metroidvania-style explorability to it.

I suggest everyone interested in the IP, or quirky '90s platformer-adventure games, to pick it up. This is a remaster for the 1st game only; I'm hoping Tomba 2 gets the same treatment sooner rather than later. And I'm praying both do well enough to get us a proper Tomba 3. This is a Day 1 for me (PS4), and hopefully the game finds new fans with this re-release as well.

Anyone here got any memories with the Tomba games? Or other lesser-known PS1 2D/3D platformers in general?

OP
OP
thicc_girls_are_teh_best
24 Jun 2022
I hate the fact its by limited run

What's wrong with them? Hopefully nothing too controversial, because I'm definitely considering picking up a physical copy of this.

This game was amazing back in the day. Buying for sure - hoping for a sequel!

Same. Tomba 2 was a bit jarring at first due to going full 3D, but I enjoyed the hell out of it. The final trek to the last boss was unnerving and surreal, but loved every moment of it.

OP
OP
thicc_girls_are_teh_best
24 Jun 2022
Not to forget most will be scalped and thrown on Ebay for double or triple the price.

Best just getting the originals on the PS1.

I hear 'ya, but I'd also like to play this for trophy support. And, if it means we can get a Tomba 2 remaster and that could hopefully lead to a Tomba 3...well, I'm gonna buy 'em 🤣.

For these particular games, I can't let the chance pass by.

Reactions: Muddasar

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
You could order a copy and not have it for a year after they said they delivered it
Its actually worse than that, they also run scam give-aways and fixed it so that a friend of the company could "accidentally" have the rarest physically released video game of all time (and worst of all, the game is absolute shit, an uninspired faux-8bit platformer that represents everything wrong with low effort indie games.) They're sacks of shit and are lucky Embracer doesn't keep a better eye on its owned entities.

Last edited:
OP
OP
thicc_girls_are_teh_best
24 Jun 2022
Its actually worse than that, they also run scam give-aways and fixed it so that a friend of the company could "accidentally" have the rarest physically released video game of all time (and worst of all, the game is absolute shit, an uninspired faux-8bit platformer that represents everything wrong with low effort indie games.) They're sacks of shit and are lucky Embracer doesn't keep a better eye on its owned entities.

Y'all are making me a bit nervous about getting a physical copy of this game. Maybe, hopefully, things have gotten better since then?

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Y'all are making me a bit nervous about getting a physical copy of this game. Maybe, hopefully, things have gotten better since then?
Since a year ago?

Anyways, their bigger physical releases are fine, but if this is a limited qty mail order sale you better hope you log onto their website the second it gets activated or it will sell out and never get a second printing.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I remember that back then the game was cool, but I remember that its gameplay was pretty poor. I assume gameplay must be crap today, let's hope they also update gameplay.

OP
OP
thicc_girls_are_teh_best
24 Jun 2022

Because it's a really fun game.

I remember that back then the game was cool, but I remember that its gameplay was pretty poor. I assume gameplay must be crap today, let's hope they also update gameplay.

Maybe the gameplay wasn't to your taste, but having played both of them multiple times, it's definitely not "poor" game design or game mechanics. Things like the jumping might feel stiff at first but considering the lineage of the developer, makes perfect sense, and the stages are designed with that jump in mind. There's many ways to do effective backtracking, you don't have to do much any item management, collision detection is mostly perfectly fine.

For the locations where there are bottomless pits, yeah you have to do a bit of trail and error to memorize how to clear those gaps but the game's very generous with lives and you can rack up tons of extra lives very early on. Save points are also good enough and the secrets are well-hidden. One of the few things that would be nice is an Event tracker to let you know what Events you have active and which ones you've already completed.

It doesn't even need to show you Events you haven't unlocked yet, IMO. That should be up to the player to come across and Events are easy enough to unlock as you play the game normally.

Reactions: Swift_Star