Toxicity in gaming and does it change depending on the game's ppl play.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

"Since 2021, reports of toxic attitudes among online gamers have increased from 64% to 72%, highlighting the broader social issues at hand"

1712939728706.png

I was sitting here just thinking about how great online play with randos has been in Helldivers 2. I play over 95% of missions with random players and I have had really good experiences with not one toxic issue to report. I usually use the "hug" action and we all hug and go into our mission with most playing their part.

You see the above stat but I have'nt experienced that in a long time. I also think tht certain types of games lend themselves to a more toxic community. Ppl point to COD in this instance but even then it's been years since I've really run into the toxic dude bro environment, although it has happened sporadically but I brush it off, say my piece and understand there are alot of kids and clowns playing.

What do you think and what has been your experience with the latest multiplayer games?

Reactions: laynelane

Sunrise Ninja

5 Feb 2024
"Toxic" "Toxicity" 😄Only a certain group of people use that word.

I look at those people like

icegif-312.gif

Batzy

Veteran
10 Jan 2024
I am playing gta online rn and its toxic af. But Helldivers 2 is toxic free.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
I would have to see the methodology to see if there's any validity to this(I don't particularly care to).

But I will say that the fact that more and more players are playing the long term GaaS games probably increases general toxicity on a macro scale. The more time invested in a game(game out X years) the less likely experienced players are going to positively handle the game and/or other players "ruining" their time.

It is well known that long established franchises/games get more and more contentious in the inner circle.
Think about how FF fans can never agree on anything, WoW playerbase are always never happy(even when content is delivering) and LoL players are intentionally griefing if anything goes wrong in their game(s).
DotA 2 players are also mentally ill.

The list goes on and on.

I will say that the type of MP game is a huge factor to this.
Helldivers is co-op, Diablo 4 is literally going zoom zoom and farming loot.

Toxicity is mostly a by-product of a competitive team game environment where players can't always control their destinies.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I have not seen any toxicity in Diablo 4 most people are just going about there days and farming.
(Well not counting people complaining about each season and the state of the game)
Nice, thts, been my experience lately with other games. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I would have to see the methodology to see if there's any validity to this(I don't particularly care to).

But I will say that the fact that more and more players are playing the long term GaaS games probably increases general toxicity on a macro scale. The more time invested in a game(game out X years) the less likely experienced players are going to positively handle the game and/or other players "ruining" their time.

It is well known that long established franchises/games get more and more contentious in the inner circle.
Think about how FF fans can never agree on anything, WoW playerbase are always never happy(even when content is delivering) and LoL players are intentionally griefing if anything goes wrong in their game(s).
DotA 2 players are also mentally ill.

The list goes on and on.

I will say that the type of MP game is a huge factor to this.
Helldivers is co-op, Diablo 4 is literally going zoom zoom and farming loot.

Toxicity is mostly a by-product of a competitive team game environment where players can't always control their destinies.
Hence ppl saying COD is very toxic. Good point. I rarely hear stuff about Destiny though and tht is coop but also competitive PvP.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Is it cursing at all or cursing at other people specifically. Cause i swear all the time in games but it ain't at teammates (or opponents) lol
Nah not just cursing tht doesn't at least bother me. I might die in an objective and be like "fuckkkk" and thts not toxic imo, it's not directed at anyone else. But you bring up a good point that what's toxic for one person or bothers one person might not bother the other.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Toxicity has really come to mean just about anything, hasn't it? From the article:

Nowadays, toxicity is generally considered as behavior and actions that create negative experiences for others.

An example used is swearing.

For example, if one player does not approve of swearing but another does, the first may consider the other’s behavior toxic.

It does talk about more serious examples too (eg. discrimination), but this comes off as an alarmist, 'mountain out of a molehill' piece. This isn't to say that negativity doesn't exist, but more that camaraderie and enjoyable exchanges do too.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
I don't care for the way people use the word, outside of culture wars toxic means something poisonous, cause pervasive physical damage. We used to teach people that name calling and bottom of the barrel insults were worthy of laughing off/ignoring and now we pretend like hearing some bad words is harmful like poison. Bunch of fucking pansies out there.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I don't care for the way people use the word, outside of culture wars toxic means something poisonous, cause pervasive physical damage. We used to teach people that name calling and bottom of the barrel insults were worthy of laughing off/ignoring and now we pretend like hearing some bad words is harmful like poison. Bunch of fucking pansies out there.
I agree.

• Shake
Reactions: Nym
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Toxicity has really come to mean just about anything, hasn't it? From the article:

An example used is swearing.

It does talk about more serious examples too (eg. discrimination), but this comes off as an alarmist, 'mountain out of a molehill' piece. This isn't to say that negativity doesn't exist, but more that camaraderie and enjoyable exchanges do too.
Yup, anything is fucking toxic nowadays if it bothers someone.

Reactions: laynelane

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I have not seen any toxicity in Diablo 4 most people are just going about there days and farming.
(Well not counting people complaining about each season and the state of the game)
I only play Diablo with close friends and those people whose humour I enjoy.

So with that, i am limited to what the masses are all about in terms of toxicity.

Saying that i don't think Diablo would be a very toxic game,

However, the main area that upsets people, let's talk diablo2 here, is the lack of updates from developers and people that engage in botting.

With this in mind, most of the toxicity then happens on the Diablo official forms, which I am sad to say can be a bit of a shitfest at times. A lot of people have taken a very personal vendetta in regards to Diablo, with slanging matches often coming out, especially when people compare Diablo with another franchise like POE (Path of Exile); this, in turn, gets the Blizzard fanboys defending their games and causes a lot of strife which escalates into personal matters.

Saying all that, I played a game called League of Legends a long time ago, that game, had some serious rage in it.

I saw racism in it: bigotry, women hate, and people using slurs against gay people; it was really bad and happened in a lot of games; probably every 1 in five games I would play, something nasty happened. No idea how it is now, I would hope it has changed.

I am extremely thick-skinned, which is different from being fat @TubzGaming( stuff you) and can happily take a lot of levels of so-called abuse.

I do think people have a tendency to be too easy to offend these days, and need to grow a bit of a backbone in a lot of the cases.

Ofc there are the really horrible examples that should not be allowed, but in general i think people should be able to take a comment thrown at them and walk away, but maybe that's just me.

Last edited:

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Tyler the Creator quote comes in to play.

Gamers have been calling each other naughty words for fucking decades, it was part of the culture and part of the fun. If those words offend you, turn the console off and go do another hobby.

Instead of telling the people who have always called each other names, to not call others names because of hurt feelings, how about telling people with hurt feelings to man up and deal with it?

Pussies.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I don’t think I’ve ever experienced “toxicity” in the last 20 years of playing games online. Not even when XBL first dropped and we actually had stuff like proximity chat in by default etc.

Then again… I’m usually the Sherpa in raids and quite patient and kind lol (and made plenty of friends because of it). In PvP? Well… I get hate messages often… but don’t care? I mean… it’s comp. I want to destroy you and that’s the point. So … I mean… wtf you expecting?