Ubisoft exec: get used to not owning your games !!!! |UP| with Larian Studios response and Concerns.

Kx11

Banned
7 Jan 2024
Katar
flickr.com
Oh man this guy went all in

GD7_UeXWQAEoaaN

source

Updated by mod 1/17/24 Larian Studios response..

Swen Vincke, Head of Larian Studios, Shares Doubts and Concerns over Subscription Services Potentially Becoming the Dominant Gaming Model​

Whatever the future of games looks like, content will always be king. But it's going to be a lot harder to get good content if subscription becomes the dominant model and a select group gets to decide what goes to market and what not. Direct from developer to players is the way.
Getting a board to ok a project fueled by idealism is almost impossible and idealism needs room to exist, even if it can lead to disaster. Subscription models will always end up being cost/benefit analysis exercises intended to maximize profit.

There is nothing wrong with that but it may not become a monopoly of subscription services. We are already all dependent on a select group of digital distribution platforms and discoverability is brutal. Should those platforms all switch to subscription, it'll become savage.
In such a world by definition the preference of the subscription service will determine what games get made.

Trust me - you really don't want that
TLDR ; you won't find our games on a subscription service even if I respect that for many developers it presents an opportunity to make their game. I don't have an issue with that. I just want to make sure the other ecosystem doesn't die because it's valuable

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
Trolling
But you're master race, right? I guess that means you must already be used to not really owning your games anyway.

Enjoy your Denuvo and ENIGMA malware.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Ubisoft is one of the companies I never buy games from. That works out even better now considering they don't want to sell them. This subscription dream so many of these companies have provides very little for customers. I hope more people are waking up to this fact.

Reactions: Shadow2027
10 Jan 2024
People need to realize Ubisoft is in a weird space at the moment and currently hedging there bets into a digital future for pure survival.

It was not so long ago they slashed targets, cancelled games and were blaming the economic environment. They then had the audacity to shift the blame to the employees with that ridiculous message "The ball is in your court".

The only reason why they are even relevant is because CMA forced Microsoft to approach Ubisoft to be the vendor of cloud gaming rights of the Activision catalogue....

I would take anything face value from the board of Ubisoft, they are incompetent then and they are incompetent now!

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Imagine wanting to own modern day games. They aren't worth pirating, let alone paying for.

Keep your ubislop to yourself.

D

Deleted member 223

Lol....

Not even a pro at the double speak. Good, continue yapping out loud.

Meanwhile my copy of Avatar Frontiers of Pandora has prob exchanged hands a couple times already - considering how mediocre the game is.

I guess our views do align in a weird way cause I've no interest in ownership of their games - the recent crop since more or less last gen and forward,

They locked the Star Wars IP cause they're in the fucking gutter with original IP. Only way to get me, def not day one.

• Heart
Reactions: Bryank75

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
Works for me. Stop caring about ownership and collecting games since the second half of the Xbox 360/PlayStation 3 generation. Give me more subscriptions baby!!!

OP
OP
Kx11

Kx11

Banned
7 Jan 2024
Katar
flickr.com
Works for me. Stop caring about ownership and collecting games since the second half of the Xbox 360/PlayStation 3 generation. Give me more subscriptions baby!!!

Iliked EAplaypro for the past 12months and the games out on it since december 2022 all the way to december 2023, now the sub is off and i can't access those games but hey i'm fine with it, whenever i can i'll buy the sub again :D

Reactions: peter42O

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

That's fair enough but I think the option to own both digitally and physically should always be there in some form. Especially for bigger single player games.

Reactions: peter42O