Ubisoft seeks to replicate the success of Ghost of Tsushima in Japan with Assassin's Creed Shadows

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
ubisoft-busca-replicar-o-sucesso-de-ghost-of-tsushima-no-japao-com-assassin-s-creed-shadows-112091.webp

The next release to be set in Japan is Assassin's Creed Shadows. With this in mind, Shadows' head producer, Karl Onnée, says he is looking to replicate the success of Ghost of Tsushima in Japan with Assassin's Creed Shadows with an authentic product.

It's important from an artistic perspective, but also from a commercial one, too. Assassin's Creed Shadows is an opportunity for Ubisoft to grow the series in Japan. It's unusual for Western-developed action games to sell in large quantities in Japan, but it does happen, and one notable example is Sony's Ghost of Tsushima, which is also a historical action-adventure game set in Japan and developed in the West (by US studio Sucker Punch). That game went on to sell over a million copies in the country, and Ubisoft will be looking at that as an indicator of what's possible here. All of this means it's vital Shadows is as authentic as possible.

"Obviously when we make a game, we are trying to appeal to a global audience,"
- Onnée tells us.

"Since we are making a game in Japan, we do hope to appeal to more Japanese players. So, it is very important that we try to be as authentic as possible. We come from a humble position of we don't know anything and we need to learn everything from scratch. We are making sure we respect things, because that is something very important to Japanese people, as it is in many other countries. When you come in, you don't want to come in as if you know everything. We want to build something that when they see and play it, they will recognise their own country."

Source

Last edited:

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Can you bypass playing as the African character and just go with the Ninja girl?

Last edited:

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Can you bypass playing as the African character and just go with the Ninja girl?

Its far more than just that, they'll never be able to compete with something like RotR on accuracy, the number of little things they'll miss out on by not growing up immerced in historic Japanese culture or speaking Japanese natively to look stuff up on Wikipedia. GoT at least based itself off of chanbara cinema and stunning visuals you have long since stopped seeing in Ubislop. Ubisoft isn't going to be able to hide behind that and in a "new market" like Japan the game is going to mired in the ridiculous animus/genetic memories bullshit that stopped being relevant after 3.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I thought it was a parody article. Let’s see if Gene Pak trashes this game for not being created by Japanese devs.

Last edited:
Reactions: laynelane

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
I thought it was a parody article. Let’s see if Gene Pak trashes the game for not being created by Japanese devs.

It does come across as a parody article, doesn't it? I particularly enjoyed "we are coming from a humble position" and their use of the word "respect".

Reactions: Entropi

Summer Nightmares

Veteran
Icon Extra
12 Jan 2023
What do sales have to do with quality?

When Ubisoft talks about replicating the success they are probably just talking about sales or revenue. There is no way Shadows is going to be as good as GOT but its probably going to make a lot of money. Valhalla made over a billion dollars.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
When Ubisoft talks about replicating the success they are probably just talking about sales or revenue. There is no way Shadows is going to be as good as GOT but its probably going to make a lot of money. Valhalla made over a billion dollars.
Doesn't look like it. AC already sold more than GoT. They wouldn't need top chase its success. They're talking creative side here.

Summer Nightmares

Veteran
Icon Extra
12 Jan 2023
Doesn't look like it. AC already sold more than GoT. They wouldn't need top chase its success. They're talking creative side here.

You might be right. I loved GOT and it was my first game when I bought my PS5, but it always felt like just a really well crafted Ubisoft game.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
someone comparing PoP AC games to fresh and newly made game.. not ridiculous at all.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
You all still doubting assassin's creed after Valhalla sold 15 million copies.
This probably maxes out at 10 million tops. Everything about it has been controversial and not in the good ways, its only on current gen systems and pc as well. I wouldnt be surprised if it tops out at 8 million.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The thing is, as much as people try and make out that GOT, Horizon, Rise of Ronin and Spiderman are just AssassisCreed with PS characters. The combat in these games, and everything else is so much better than AC.

AC will sell anyway but I dont think it will be a semi hit in Japan like GOT was. Maybe

Last edited: