[UK] 65% of Resident Evil 4 sales were on PlayStation platforms, 20% on Xbox and 15% on PC (Physical + Digital)

VillaiN

10 Feb 2023
People need to realize that the golden age of PC gaming is over. Bad ports, bad OS, overpriced graphic cards, ram etc… all that had an effect on that platform. it’s a place only for niche games and for building enthusiasts.

There’s a reason PC sales has been declining very fast over the years. But!!! no matter how people try to spin this, PC has better odds of survivl than xbox.
We might be watching the slow death of a platform.
I have dude at work who cries like every week how games wont work on his build. It cost him like 3000 euros. Sad to see.

PC ll always have fans and users. MS and xbox and their vision re problems.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
I have dude at work who cries like every week how games wont work on his build. It cost him like 3000 euros. Sad to see.

PC ll always have fans and users. MS and xbox and their vision re problems.
when i built my PCs, i always went to Intel, Nvidia. all games worked all the time. unless it is a buggy mess, then, everyone effected. never had any problems.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
when i built my PCs, i always went to Intel, Nvidia. all games worked all the time. unless it is a buggy mess, then, everyone effected. never had any problems.

Mine is a full AMD build and no issues, everything runs smoothly.

• Shake
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Mine is a full AMD build and no issues, everything runs smoothly.

Staring Star Wars GIF by Disney+

• Shake
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
Your essay gets an F.

It demonstrates limited understanding of how sales are broken down per region, citing global lifetime sales figures and ratios and ignoring the stated UK PS5 : XBX/S ratio in your argument.

It grossly overestimates the Windows Store sales percentage, then combines that overestimate with the Xbox sales percentage, while simultaneously downplaying the PlayStation sales because they're combined.

It also ignores the reality that Xbone software sales are too low to be worth releasing a game for despite having a much higher userbase than XBX/S, which should be of immense concern and which should have clued you in to one other fact:

Sales for a game do not scale and have never scaled linearly with hardware sales. Userbases on healthy consoles are diverse and few games have universal appeal.

It ignores observed purchasing behaviours in Japan for RE4, where the split between PS5 and PS4 is roughly even but in PS5's favour, and indeed ignores reported splits between last and current gen consoles belonging to the same family in the UK, where PS5 tends to lead despite having a fraction of PS4's install base. This is consistent across console manufacturers and generations.

It claims 325k to 200k isn't bad, but this again ignores that the split in this fictional scenario would be a damning 1.6 : 1 vs a console split of 1.2 : 1, and honestly I would expect the rebuttal to claim this is a positive despite the author's other claim that PS4 outsold Xbone 3:1 prior to gamepass, with all evidence pointing to PS5 doing better against XBX/S than PS4 did against Xbone, and further evidence (admissions from MS) that GP cannibalises game sales. Do you think GP is making Xbox software more competitive?? The 3:1 ratio you're trying desperately to disprove is the same as one you readily admit has happened in a past generation.

Finally, it grossly over exaggerates Xbox Series sales (~20mil is a good estimate, anywhere near 25mil is absurd).

Reading his comments is....like it is not part of reality. I mean WTF? Em....check these posts of his, you will surely ask yourself "the fuck did i just read"

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Cool hand luke

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Reading his comments is....like it is not part of reality. I mean WTF? Em....check this posts of his, you will surely ask yourself "the fuck did i just read"

guy is out of touch with reality.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Your essay gets an F.

It demonstrates limited understanding of how sales are broken down per region, citing global lifetime sales figures and ratios and ignoring the stated UK PS5 : XBX/S ratio in your argument.

It grossly overestimates the Windows Store sales percentage, then combines that overestimate with the Xbox sales percentage, while simultaneously downplaying the PlayStation sales because they're combined.

It also ignores the reality that Xbone software sales are too low to be worth releasing a game for despite having a much higher userbase than XBX/S, which should be of immense concern and which should have clued you in to one other fact:

Sales for a game do not scale and have never scaled linearly with hardware sales. Userbases on healthy consoles are diverse and few games have universal appeal.

It ignores observed purchasing behaviours in Japan for RE4, where the split between PS5 and PS4 is roughly even but in PS5's favour, and indeed ignores reported splits between last and current gen consoles belonging to the same family in the UK, where PS5 tends to lead despite having a fraction of PS4's install base. This is consistent across console manufacturers and generations.

It claims 325k to 200k isn't bad, but this again ignores that the split in this fictional scenario would be a damning 1.6 : 1 vs a console split of 1.2 : 1, and honestly I would expect the rebuttal to claim this is a positive despite the author's other claim that PS4 outsold Xbone 3:1 prior to gamepass, with all evidence pointing to PS5 doing better against XBX/S than PS4 did against Xbone, and further evidence (admissions from MS) that GP cannibalises game sales. Do you think GP is making Xbox software more competitive?? The 3:1 ratio you're trying desperately to disprove is the same as one you readily admit has happened in a past generation.

Finally, it grossly over exaggerates Xbox Series sales (~20mil is a good estimate, anywhere near 25mil is absurd).
Police, I’d like to report a brutal beating…

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It's not a tale. It's actual facts. If you and others actually look up all that shit like I did, you would come to the same conclusion. Third party games never sold on Xbox pre-Game Pass despite so many believing that they did. If anything, it's people who are anti-Game Pass wanting to make it out like it's the reason for lower sales in regards to third party games when the reality is that they didn't sell even during the Xbox 360 generation which was between 4 and 12 years earlier than when Game Pass was created in June 2017.
I'm not sure sure what the narrative you are trying to create here...

3rd-party always sold on Xbox (the exception was JRPG 3rd-party but even the big AAA titles sold around the proportion of the userbase ratio) and to be fair Xbox even have in a lot of titles a ratio bigger than the userbase compared with PS lead you to believe.

But Gamepass happened and that 3rd-party sales is fast (or slow depending of how you look at it) decreasig and the ratio is becoming way lower than the userbase ratio and that is really bad.

I remember the time when Xbox fans were entusiastic and comemorate just because in proportion Xbox sales of a game were higher per user than on PlayStation.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
@Remij is struggling hard with this news but it should come as no surprise. Even if Capcom makes PC as its main development target, franchises like resident evil and monster hunter will keep being console centered, specially ps centered. High end PC gaming is mostly niche, that’s why most pc focused games (like Diablo) are not that demanding graphically, since they need to support old hardware to make sure they get their ROI.
Cold, hard facts.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
@Remij is struggling hard with this news but it should come as no surprise. Even if Capcom makes PC as its main development target, franchises like resident evil and monster hunter will keep being console centered, specially ps centered. High end PC gaming is mostly niche, that’s why most pc focused games (like Diablo) are not that demanding graphically, since they need to support old hardware to make sure they get their ROI.
Cold, hard facts.
Exoprimal is an example of a game that was developed with PC as the main platform.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Remij

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
People need to realize that the golden age of PC gaming is over. Bad ports, bad OS, overpriced graphic cards, ram etc… all that had an effect on that platform. it’s a place only for niche games and for building enthusiasts.

There’s a reason PC sales has been declining very fast over the years. But!!! no matter how people try to spin this, PC has better odds of survivl than xbox.
We might be watching the slow death of a platform.
The golden age of gaming on Windows is long gone, DX12, W11 and the shitty store fronts have made gaming on PC a complete nightmare.

It's up to Valve now to offer an alternative (they have done a fantastic job with the Deck).

• haha
Reactions: KiryuRealty
24 Jun 2022
Yeah sf6 will heavly favour PS.

Sony getting sf5 exclusivity last gen was a master stroke, they absolutely destroyed the FGC on xbox.

In the 360/Ps3 gen even though ps3 had a huge lead over xbox in japan, you had japanese players who preferred to play fighting games like SF4 on xbox 360.

Sony completley killed that momentum off, and then some.

Yeah, it was a really smart move on Sony's part. Funny thing is MS actually did have an exclusive fighter early in XBO's life with Killer Instinct, which was well-received and initially had some strong support. But I think there were changes made in either Season 2 or 3 that a lot of core fans didn't like and it started to die down; XBO slowing down as a whole didn't help either.

It actually took a while for PS4 to run away with the fighting game market because SFV didn't drop until 2016, they only had a port of USFIV prior to that in 2014 (though that was kind of a big deal since XBO didn't have the BC program up yet so the only way to play SFIV on an Xbox was to use a 360) and I don't think there were any major fighting games released for PS4 or XBO prior to SFV besides GG Xrd but GG was always a more niche franchise, but it was a PS4 console exclusive.

So between Killer Instinct and GG Xrd I'd say KI had more mainstream appeal and was probably the bigger of the two games so theoretically Microsoft should have been able to hold on to the fighting game scene/market better than they did. But they let KI degrade and had literally nothing to counter SFV on PS4. Even if SFV launched in a rough state...it was still a new Street Fighter, and that catapulted PS4 as the defacto platform for fighting games from that point on, to this day.

Well, for anything but Smash. But Nintendo's actively trying to kill competitive Smash themselves so :/

I sincerely hope that if Sony buy Capcom that they do not remove these IP from Xbox.

They wouldn't. There's really no reason to, TBH. However, if say they brought back Dino Crisis or Onimusha proper, I wouldn't picture there being Xbox versions for those IP considering the vast majority (or in the case of Onimusha, all) of their nostalgia and brand power is associated with PlayStation.

You'd get PS/PC for those sort of games. I don't remember how well Megaman 9 and 10 did on Xbox, but if those did poorly there then I could see something like a new Megaman Legends being PS/PC/Switch.

What missing retailer for Playstation? They say that's a major Nintendo retailer...

As I said... GMG and Fanatical missing for PC is far more detrimental than a mostly Nintendo retailer missing for Playstation..

Considering virtually 100% of all PC software sales are digital, GfK missing brick-and-mortar retailers for PC sales means absolutely nothing in terms of actual PC software sales. It would only impact hardware i.e OEM PC purchases, GPU cards, CPUs etc. but those purchases can't even be definitively quantified as being towards PC gaming. People can buy GPUs & CPUs for many other purposes such as for building a better video editing/production or 3D rendering system for work-related purposes.

So if your hope was that by including GMG and Fanatical that reported PC software sales would eat into PlayStation software sales reports in the market, that hope is dead. If the hope was that including them for PC hardware sales would eat into PlayStation hardware sales reports for the market, that hope is also dead because PC isn't a dedicated gaming platform so it's impossible to quantify how many GPU, CPU etc. or even OEM purchases are primarily for gaming.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Muddasar

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The golden age of gaming on Windows is long gone, DX12, W11 and the shitty store fronts have made gaming on PC a complete nightmare.

It's up to Valve now to offer an alternative (they have done a fantastic job with the Deck).
A device nobody wants to buy and flopped in sales 🤷‍♂️
PC gamers are not moving to Deck.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
A device nobody wants to buy and flopped in sales 🤷‍♂️
PC gamers are not moving to Deck.
If you can't see all the doors SteamOS opens then you lack vision.

The Deck is one step in a series of moves Valve has been pulling to free Steam from Windows while also stealing market share from consoles. Valve is always looking 10 years into the future.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
You tell me how many gamers are using SteamOS over Windows for games?

Steam OS was released in 2013.
You clearly don't have any idea of what you are talking about. The leap from how gaming on Linux was 10 years ago to how it is now is incredible, the hardest challenges have all already been overcome.

Let's see where things will be in another 10 years. Steam is already bigger for PC gaming than Windows ever was.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Satoru

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
You clearly don't have any idea of what you are talking about. The leap from how gaming on Linux was 10 years ago to how it is now is incredible, the hardest challenges have all already been overcome.
Show me data 🤷‍♂️

I mean in 2018 it was 0.8% of Steam users using Linux today is 1.2%… and that already includes Deck.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Show me data 🤷‍♂️

I mean in 2018 it was 0.8% of Steam users using Linux today is 1.2%.
You, just like MS, lack vision. That's how Valve always ends up running circles around them.

Don't let your ignorance or Sony fanboysm blind you when it comes to how impressive what Valve has done is, specially on the software front.

Sony better open their eyes too because the Deck shows how easily Valve could show up with an appealing console of their own now.

Xbox does not make any sense in a world where Valve launches a Deck like console nor does enthusiasts being forever subjected to awful software like Windows.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
You, just like MS, lack vision. That's how Valve always ends up running circles around them.

Don't let your ignorance or Sony fanboysm blind you when it comes to how impressive what Valve has done is.

Sony better open their eyes too because the Deck shows how easily Valve could show up with an appealing console of their own now.
You seems exactly like Valve living in promises of decades ago without delivery nothing of substantial except for some one one two tries in the last decade.

Valve only exists because Steam exists… outside that they sit without do any action… fans of Valve are waiting Half-life 3 until today.

Numbers don’t support your claims… just that.

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters