[UK Charts] In just two days, Zelda ToTK is comfortably the biggest boxed game release of the year, sales 173% higher than Zelda BoTW launch sales

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
A LOT of nostalgia and brand loyalty.

If the same game was released by anyone else, it wouldn't be that much praised. And I really did enjoy the previous one.

It was the first time Nintendo fans played an open world game, they acted like it was revolutionary and life changing. Besides the physics system there wasn't anything amazing about it.

The world is very dull and lifeless, there is even less enemy variety than RAC Rift Apart.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
It was the first time Nintendo fans played an open world game, they acted like it was revolutionary and life changing. Besides the physics system there wasn't anything amazing about it.

The world is very dull and lifeless, there is even less enemy variety than RAC Rift Apart.
So what other open wolrd game would you say is better than BoTW and ToTK?

I would say RDR2 but that is going for something completely different. Nothing else I think comes even close.

I don't think BoTW and ToTK are the best game of all time like some people say but they are damn good games, that make the most out of an embarrassingly weak hardware.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

I would say RDR2 but that is going for something completely different. Nothing else I think comes even close.

I don't think BoTW and ToTK are the best game of all time like some people say but they are damn good games, that make the most out of an embarrassingly weak hardware.
What others? Shit I'd say Ghost of T, Horizon and even Days Gone. I rated BOTW like a 70 and didn't enjoy the lifeless, empty world in comparison to the beautiful, alive and dynamic world of Days Gone. Idk how Days Gone got low reviews and BOTW with all it's misgivings and mediocrity got stellar reviews when it was missing so much compared to other open world games.

Just my opinion but you talking to someone that forced himself to finish BOTW because it was boring to me.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
What others? Shit I'd say Ghost of T, Horizon and even Days Gone. I rated BOTW like a 70 and didn't enjoy the lifeless, empty world in comparison to the beautiful, alive and dynamic world of Days Gone. Idk how Days Gone got low reviews and BOTW with all it's misgivings and mediocrity got stellar reviews when it was missing so much compared to other open world games.

Just my opinion but you talking to someone that forced himself to finish BOTW because it was boring to me.
No way, not even close, sorry. It didn't even occur to me that you would list Horizon and Days Gone as on the same level as these Zelda open world games. It just shows that Zelda pretty much has no competition.

Open world game design is usually just awful, I guess that is what so easily sets Zelda. RDR2 does an impressive job but it mostly excels at different things.

Reactions: ethomaz

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
No way, not even close, sorry. It definitely didn't even occur to me that you would list Horizon and Days Gone as on the same level as these Zelda open world games.
Yup, I did and enjoyed them vastly more. Opinions and tastes and all.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.

It was funny seeing a lot of the Nintendo fans on GAF and other places shit on UBISoft open world games for years, then smother their faces in the taint of Breath of the Wild when it was so similar, just with LESS variety to it.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
It was funny seeing a lot of the Nintendo fans on GAF and other places shit on UBISoft open world games for years, then smother their faces in the taint of Breath of the Wild when it was so similar, just with LESS variety to it.
According to them it does things different 🤣🤣🤣 till this day after I beat it I'm still looking for the "different".

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
No way, not even close, sorry. It didn't even occur to me that you would list Horizon and Days Gone as on the same level as these Zelda open world games. It just shows that Zelda pretty much has no competition.

Open world game design is usually just awful, I guess that is what so easily sets Zelda. RDR2 does an impressive job but it mostly excels at different things.
Zelda feels primitive to me. You had The Witcher 3 in 2015, RDR2 afterwards, and then the pinnacle, Elden Ring, last year. If TOTK is just more of the same (plus Minecraft?), then it won't change my mind.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
The game is much better than I expected. I wasn’t excited for it at all. I’m mostly staying away from sites and discord until I’m done with it though.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
yeah i saw that, but maybe i just don't really like sandbox type games. minecraft doesn't really appeal to me either, even though it's insanely popular.
Same. I'll push through because it's Zelda but I usually ignore crafting mechanics in games. I can't play any survival game for more than 5 minutes.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023

Elden Ring to this is the only open world game i actually enjoyed

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

BotW redefined how open world games should be... it was the first time a game could really replicate the lively and feel of really be in a open where you can do what you want.

Elden Ring took that formula and expanded it... TotK did the same.

So for these are the three games that really do open world right... it is very boring to play old style open world to be fair.

Elden Ring to this is the only open world game i actually enjoyed
Outside this new Zelda it is the only game that follow the same Open World formula of BotW.
And that is why it changed from a 5-10 million franchise to over 20 million.