UK Charts March Week 2: FF7 Rebirth 89% drop in UK ("higher side of normal"); Unicorn Overlord debuts at #7 (60% sales on Switch); WWE #1

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Too early to say. Digital chunk could be massive and legs on the game should be comparable to Remake.

but still … whoa.. tempered launch for sure.

I guess the next single player numbered entry will be a gameplay sequel to 16.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Too early to say. Digital chunk could be massive and legs on the game should be comparable to Remake.

but still … whoa.. tempered launch for sure.

I guess the next single player we numbered entry will be a gameplay sequel to 16.
Yeah it is to early but damn that drop is massive. Not a gd look but we shall see.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
FF games sales are generally front loaded. Part 2’s budget is clearly gargantuan… and if it pays off significantly less than 16 did. I dunno wtf to say. They’ll definitely reevaluate 7’s westernized open world game design too.

I’m fine with them making a sequel to 16. I didn’t like it much at all but I’d still like to see them iterate on the formula. It needs works big time … and honestly I prefer it over the nonsense they’re doing with this narrative here.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
The fact that is a sequel to an 80+ hour game is a huge barrier of entry to a lot of people. Even if you sell it cheaper on bundles with part 1 it's just a massive time sink.

At one point this "how long to beat" driven school of game design has to reevaluate their priorites

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: xollowsob

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
The fact that is a sequel to an 80+ hour game is a huge barrier of entry to a lot of people. Even if you sell it cheaper on bundles with part 1 it's just a massive time sink.

At one point this "how long to beat" driven school of game design has to reevaluate their priorites
31h story, not 80h.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: anonpuffs

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Thts on the higher side of normal. And this isn't a "normal" game to many with high expectations. Let's call a spade a spade.
for example, Zelda had 78% drop even in japan. it is nothing new really. you can say, it is a little bit higher in normal range but nothing special.
and i bet, Zelda had high expectations.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
There are some good numbers in there like WWE 2K24 being #1.

Last edited:

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Posted this in the previous week's thread.

Compared to other JRPGs(they're usually a VERY frontloaded genre) it's on the very high end in terms of week 2 drops but that's not surprising for a remake/nostalgia project IMO.

(UK Numbers) Week 1 ---> Week 2
Final Fantasy XIII (-80%)
Final Fantasy XV (-75%)

Final Fantasy VII Remake (-87%)
Final Fantasy XVI (-78%)
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (-89%)

The game is also less digital than Remake(COVID) and FF XVI(it was cheaper digitally than retail in the UK for some reason)
So this higher physical drop is more significant in terms of the totality of sales than the last two entries.

Like I said, it is not unexpected, because it's a JRPG AND it's a Part 2 of a trilogy.
Each instalment will probably be more(?) front loaded due to the playerbase being more and more comitted and likely to buy the next part Day 1-3.

But for fans here(and everywhere else) expecting a little bit more commercial success considering the critical reception and the general buzz within the community, that's just not going to be the reality of things.

FF7R2 budget is almost assuredly quite significantly smaller than FFXVI due to the much faster development timeline(and less money spent on marketing. This was the correct move since a Part 2 would get dimishing return from advertisement, you're going to lose potential customers once they realize they've "got to" play the first part first.

I expect the break even point to be significantly lower compared to FFXVI.

To be fair, this is pretty much the only way to make the economics of the trilogy make sense with diminshing returns every instalment. Anything less than this relatively quick development timeline would've been seen as a real loss in terms of opportunity cost. Folks have to remember for a company it's not that something has to sell well or not, they also have to look at it in from the lens of "what if we had greenlight THIS project instead?"

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Final Fantasy XV (-75%)
Final Fantasy XVI (-78%)
yes, all in the same range. thank you for proving my point.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
yes, all in the same range. thank you for proving my point.
If do you mean same range as like Remake where the drop was based on a similar launch I could agree but that is hardly the case here.

It is 89% drop over a weak first week launch.

That means physical this week is 4.6k.

Plus others FF second week drop are not in the same range at all.

Reactions: KvallyX

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
uk_charts_ps5_we_2mar24_c0de2a52-7586-46ec-9a87-81ff4032241d.jpg

uk-charts_ps5_we-9mar24_5617b5c2-2f47-4c50-b459-2bdb9c3b3fe6.jpg

KDNFcAQ.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Final Fantasy XV (-75%)
Final Fantasy XVI (-78%)
Already explained whether you want to accept the response or not.

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: ethomaz