UK CMA Says Microsoft-Activision Deal Will 'Not Result in a Substantial Lessening of Competition'

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
When has MS ever managed anything successfully not named Windows and Office?
I think ABK leadership will basically take over Microsoft Game Studios

I'd be more worried about other IP and devs. COD needs a new support studio? iD software and Tango aren't doing anything special!

D

Deleted member 417

Have the CMA or any other regulatory bodies official said that the deal will pass without any changes?

Because until they do, how do we know that this isn't a PR campaign?

Fwiw I think the deal will pass.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Have the CMA or any other regulatory bodies official said that the deal will pass without any changes?

Because until they do, how do we know that this isn't a PR campaign?

Fwiw I think the deal will pass.
They don't need to

They left the key to the house on the front porch and shouted to the street "I trust nobody will use the key on my front porch to rob me"

Reactions: Deleted member 417
D

Deleted member 417

They don't need to

They left the key to the house on the front porch and shouted to the street "I trust nobody will use the key on my front porch to rob me"
Until I see confirmation from those guys, imma wait it out.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
No surprise tbh
Billionaires and Trillionaires/elite get away with all sorts. Thinking MS won’t be allowed to buy a video game company they want, was wishful thinking. These guys are all buddies lol.

MS and the government/elite are very closely tied together, have been for decades. Its like not letting your cousin buy something from the corner shop lol.

Anyway, hopefully this is all over and Sony can take their finger out their ass and buy some big Japanese/Western Publishers themselves.

If MS is gonna take games away from PS, Sony has to do the same thing. Get some loans and buy big, IP’s that will make people never leave PS.
Because guess what,MS is gonna be buying more, EA? Rockstar? Sega? Yes MS will come for them. And they are gonna bring these games day 1 to gamepass. People are fickle

Sony needs to buy some popular IP’s/Publishers for their own future. Not because they need to, because they are capable Of making their own games, but they need to, so they can speed up the process and stop MS buying all our favourite IPs. Unfortunately MS has made it like that.

Plus like I said before, invest in more 1st person shooters, Online games, WRPG’s and JRPG’s.
They need rivals for Cod, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Future Diablo, Quake. “You” might not play them, but people will.

Bring back Killzone, Resistance, New Shooters from Firewalk and Deviation Studios. Have to make Bungie games exclusive now. Make a deal with EA for Battlefield. Makea deal with Valve for Counter Strike 2. Bioshock etc.

Buy CDPR for Witcher series. And make your own WRPG’s. Sony’s production value is better than 90% of the market, out some money in, some smart heads and makea better WRPG.
Buy Fromsoft/level 5/Atlus, Square for JRPG’s.
Buy Konami IP.

They have to do something because MS is just getting starting buying, all the classic video game IP’s that have been around for decades they will buy. They said it themselves, there not gonna stop with Activision purchase.
We know Xbox cant stick around the gaming industry without MS money or buying IP’s. Sony need to do the same not for their library, because they have done great without, but to stop MS buying it all

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022
Confused Power Rangers GIF

I dunno, I wont be buying any Activision Blizzard games anyway anymore, even if they are on PS.

If the regulators are not gonna act, gamers have to take a hardline, even if it's just 10-20% of us.

Hmm, I know its a kick in the guts. But Sony is really doing just fine as they are, no?
Even with this deal looking to go through now, Sony is not going to be out of 1st place after this. There games still do the talking.

I dont think they will respond with a massive acquisition that is Take 2 levels. Square I see happening in the near future.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 417

Currently, to me the deal is done. It's going to pass. I expect nothing from regulators.
I think it will pass but i don't buy this story. Of all of the horseshit we have seen on twitter, why are people falling for this one?

• Where has the quote originated from? Where's the source?
  • Why would the CMa give an officially unofficially nudge nudge wink wink to MS, 1 month before their official findings?
  • Isn't it strange that the CMA have said this? The one regulator who wouldn't budge at all, who have now apparently done a bizarre 180?
  • IF the deal was going to fail, wouldn't we expect to see these kinds of shenanigans close to the decision in order to keep stock prices high?
I've been alive long enough to know that companies with big pockets pay their way to what they want and, everyone is a lying scumbag when it comes to making money.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Nah Sony have a 10 year reprieve from MS enacting exclusivity and they do need that time for making competitors. First thing to do is cancel Xbox versions of any Bungie projects and go after a really big fish
Yep, sony need to have a sit down with Bungie, “ we gotta talk about that all platform shit, yea”

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I think it will pass but i don't buy this story. Of all of the horseshit we have seen on twitter, why are people falling for this one?

• Why would the CMa give an officially unofficially nudge nudge wink wink to MS, 1 month before their official findings?
  • Isn't it strange that the CMA have said this? The one regulator who wouldn't budge at all, who have now apparently done a bizarre 180?
  • IF the deal was going to fail, wouldn't we expect to see these kinds of shenanigans close to the decision in order to keep stock prices high?
I've been alive long enough to know that companies with big pockets pay their way to what they want and, everyone is a lying scumbag when it comes to making money.
But if it weren't true, shouldn't this have been debunked by now?

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022

The source is an official document released from the CMA, they revised their provisional findings to drop the console market concerns.

But yeah the deal hasn't been approved yet, the cloud SLC is still the main contention and was the CMAs strongest argument anyway. Now the question is do they accept behavoruial remedies for the cloud or still ask for a divestiture.

• Informative
Reactions: Deleted member 417

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
The source is an official document released from the CMA, they revised their provisional findings to drop the console market concerns.

But yeah the deal hasn't been approved yet, the cloud SLC is still the main contention and was the CMAs strongest argument anyway. Now the question is do they accept behavoruial remedies for the cloud or still ask for a divestiture.
Basically, it's a game of influence, and Sony is a tiny shop compared to anyone from Silicon Valley.
The CMA just told them "sod off, we'll only listen to Google".

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
activision-blizzard-acquisition-could-be-approved-by-ftc-with-concessions-report.webp

The UK CMA has issued an update on its provisional findings in its assessment of Microsoft’s proposed acquisition of Activision Blizzard. Although the update is provisional, the UK CMA has said that “the CMA inquiry group has updated its provisional findings and reached the provisional conclusion that, overall, the transaction will not result in a substantial lessening of competition in relation to console gaming in the UK. To many, this will be deemed a major step closer towards closing the proposed acquisition.

The UK CMA will report its final report on April 26, 2023.

Martin Coleman, chair of the independent panel of experts conducting this investigation, said:

Provisional findings are a key aspect of the merger process and are explicitly designed to give the businesses involved, and any interested third parties, the chance to respond with new evidence before we make a final decision.

Having considered the additional evidence provided, we have now provisionally concluded that the merger will not result in a substantial lessening of competition in console gaming services because the cost to Microsoft of withholding Call of Duty from PlayStation would outweigh any gains from taking such action.

Our provisional view that this deal raises concerns in the cloud gaming market is not affected by today’s announcement. Our investigation remains on course for completion by the end of April.

You can read the full report here.

I dont understand why they did a 180?

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
I dont understand why they did a 180?
The issue stems from how the CMA calculated that it would be worth it financially for microsoft to foreclose cod on playstation. They realised their calculations wasn't correct and that it wouldn't be worth it for microsoft to foreclose.

Reactions: Puff

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Yep, sony need to have a sit down with Bungie, “ we gotta talk about that all platform shit, yea”
Probably won't be for awhile, in fact it would be worth building up Bungie as even more of a multiplat powerhouse for the next decade

But yeah Sony just need to be frank with Bungie that if MS eventually take COD exclusive they will need to respond with Destiny and Bungies new IP(s)

That's also why I think getting Take 2 is the most important thing for Sony regardless of cost. They need checks and balances against MS doing anything dumb with COD.

If it were me running Sony:
Buy Take2
Win gamers hearts and minds with some spiel about reviving BioShock, Spec Ops and Bully
Fold 2KSports and MLB into one big sports subsidiary and license FIFA
Say it's really all about Zynga
Promise 10 year deal for GTA to appease regulators (while not talking about the rest of the catalogue)

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022

The 180 happened because the cma calculations on slc for consoles were wrong. They made a math error. Their new figures shows that not that many players would leave PS for cod, only 3% or less, it also shows ms need PS to make abk purchase worthwhile they need the ps player base….. Find the last part hard to believe cause xb is a loss leading business imo, dont know what the cma is smoking there, shows how lil they know about the industry.

On top of that ms have offered up remedies behind closed doors that pretty much remove all other slc concerns on consoles. So thats how we got here, no corruption, cma fucked up the math. Regardless if Sony signs or not the 10 year deal is backed into regulator remedies.

Now both EU and cma are just worried about cloud gaming impact. They might both still come back and tell ms to divest for the sake of cloud gaming.

In my opinin they should go back and add nintendo to their math instead of not counting nintendo in the high end console market, removing nintendo and only counting ms and sony pretty much made sony look like pacman on paper. The high end market argument was a stupid argument for sony and regulators to get behind.

If i were Sony i would dip after the current 3 year agreement is done, say bye to that 3% of players and put that money else where other than ms pocket.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
The issue stems from how the CMA calculated that it would be worth it financially for microsoft to foreclose cod on playstation. They realised their calculations wasn't correct and that it wouldn't be worth it for microsoft to foreclose.
How do they calculate what's worth it for a trillion dollar company that's been running Xbox at a loss for 22 years?

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Probably won't be for awhile, in fact it would be worth building up Bungie as even more of a multiplat powerhouse for the next decade

But yeah Sony just need to be frank with Bungie that if MS eventually take COD exclusive they will need to respond with Destiny and Bungies new IP(s)

That's also why I think getting Take 2 is the most important thing for Sony regardless of cost. They need checks and balances against MS doing anything dumb with COD.

If it were me running Sony:
Buy Take2
Win gamers hearts and minds with some spiel about reviving BioShock, Spec Ops and Bully
Fold 2KSports and MLB into one big sports subsidiary and license FIFA
Say it's really all about Zynga
Promise 10 year deal for GTA to appease regulators (while not talking about the rest of the catalogue)

TakeTwo is absolutely necessary to balance out this tilt in power....

They shouldn't need to offer any deal for GTA etc though, as they are once in a generation games or less....(GTAV)

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
How do they calculate what's worth it for a trillion dollar company that's been running Xbox at a loss for 22 years?
Exactly, all this error shows is that regulators are stupid and dont know what the hell they are doing. Must be nice getting paid to be stupid on the job😂😂