UK Monthly Charts-PS5 #1, Helldivers 2 consecutive weeks sales growth (up 115% in week 2, up 21% week 3). A hit on both PC/PS5 with 57% sales on PS5!

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Is saying the split was 75/25 based on nothing criticism though?
No but you know hat I mean.

Sony is having an amazing year so far, multiple large exclusives right out the gate
Helldivers isn't exclusive, which going back to the PC:pS5 split was my point.

Either Helldivers is amazing and should have stayed exclusive to move PS5 units or it's only doing amazing thanks to the extra players on Steam.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Inappropriate language
Oh so because there are less Xbox fanboys it must be tribalism. You chose OG Xbox and 360 over PS2 and PS3, this proves your thinking is flawed.
Dreamcast the OG Xbox after a few years of PC.
I wasn't a fan of the PS2.
When the PS3 launched i had a 360 with a healthy catalogue of first year games.
It took Sony years to get going with the PS3 to the point that it would have killed them, if not for the PS4, which I bought day one.

Don't assume, you donkey.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Chris himself said it was 60% on PC. Mat NPD also implied it was selling more on PC when the truth is PS5 is selling more.
Always with the agenda when it's Sony-related. They want to prove the console market is dying when it's Xbox only.

I can't believe Chris and Mat lied to us!
It couldn't be because viral games go viral faster on PC and console take some time to catch up.
Why didn't Chris continue saying it was still 60% on PC now instead of 57% on PS5? 🤔

Week 1 sales is not the end all be all, but people were asking for the early splits and they obliged.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
I believe that but we all been thinking based off how hot it's been it's, in the multi Millions by now.
Unbelievable. It’s probably at 8 or 9M and Sony is waiting for it to cross 10M to officially announce it. It’s crazy, if that’s the case then it would be PS’s fastest selling IP ever. It took Ragnarok and SM2 3 months to reach 10M+. I know they were only on one platform, and Helldivers was also on PC. But that’s still great numbers in a quick time, for a game that wasn’t a well know IP with little marketing.

• Shake
Reactions: Gamernyc78

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023

That's not very surprising reply from Shinobi. Look at the SteamDB estimates you get:

Gamalytic: 6.23M
VG Insights: 7.37M
I disregard PlayTracker and SteamSpy because Playtracker is always very low estimates and SteamSpy is so unserious, they believe that every big game sells a quadrillion copies.

Even if you factor in the inflation in estimations due to the more reviews/negative reviews than usual for a big game(81% positive) and you severely downplay the estimates into the 5M range, that still leaves the PS5 sales.

So yeah, anyone with access to that information can easily surmise that the game has sold way more than 5M at this point.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Unbelievable. It’s probably at 8 or 9M and Sony is waiting for it to cross 10M to officially announce it. It’s crazy, if that’s the case then it would be PS’s fastest selling IP ever. It took Ragnarok and SM2 3 months to reach 10M+. I know they were only on one platform, and Helldivers was also on PC. But that’s still great numbers in a quick time, for a game that wasn’t a well know IP with little marketing.
usually, devs announce that. so it will be Arrowhead which will do it.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
That's not very surprising reply from Shinobi. Look at the SteamDB estimates you get:

Gamalytic: 6.23M
VG Insights: 7.37M
I disregard PlayTracker and SteamSpy because Playtracker is always very low estimates and SteamSpy is so unserious, they believe that every big game sells a quadrillion copies.

Even if you factor in the inflation in estimations due to the more reviews/negative reviews than usual for a big game(81% positive) and you severely downplay the estimates into the 5M range, that still leaves the PS5 sales.

So yeah, anyone with access to that information can easily surmise that the game has sold way more than 5M at this point.
We've all surmised tht already lol so yeah his response isn't like omg lol

Reactions: Evilnemesis8

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
We've all surmised tht already lol so yeah his response isn't like omg lol

We're also more in the know on PS related sales figures than 99.99% of PS users and the general public.
But for most people they probably don't realize how big of a hit the game is.

panda-zebra

2 Mar 2024
NW UK
these are uk numbers and you're ok extrapolating it to the whole world? but you didn't like the logic of comparing known steam numbers with a known fixed player cap?
Anyone playing the game back then knew using a combo of players in game and Steam Charts CCU to "prove" PC Helldivers II must be massively outselling the console version was an utter nonsense for obvious reasons.

Using actual UK sales data (the only such available regional data we've got to work with of any recency) as a barometer for how the game might be doing worldwide? That hardly seems like a ridiculous exercise. We know Steam takes a larger slice of the pie in some regions and less in others, but the UK is rarely an outlier.

Using engagement metrics from 1 platform during a time the game's popularity outstripped the game's capacity was dumb, no critical thinking went into those actions. It's fair to question why that happened and why some are apparently still keen to stand by it when it's so flawed.

Chris himself said it was 60% on PC. Mat NPD also implied it was selling more on PC when the truth is PS5 is selling more.

Always with the agenda when it's Sony-related. They want to prove the console market is dying when it's Xbox only.
What that 60% PC figure represented has been largely used out of context, sometimes knowingly other times maybe not. Dring said on Feb 23 that 2nd week sales in Europe were practically 50/50 and were up 40% over week 1, and said this brought the total to around 40/60 in favour of PC for both weeks combined. That's his 60% people were throwing around. This data is Europe-only with UK and Germany excluded. So in non-UK, non-DE Europe, in its first week on sale it did bigger numbers on PC. In its 2nd week, when sales rose 40%, that 40/60 split had evened out to 50/50.

Today he said UK sales, where the game sales increased week-on-week by 115% then a further 21%, were 57/43 (GSD physical + digital). I'd like to see how anyone could spin that, to me it reinforces what we've heard form the start that it's pretty even.

The US engagement data Piscatella put out (which was also widely used to "prove" something it couldn't possibly hope to), suggested that just 1-in-20 PS5 players in the US sent some time in Helldivers II and 1-in-4 PC players did the same. That was Circana panel data - not actual hard data from the platform holders, but their own user sample panel extrapolated to the wider market. The public has no access to anything regarding their panel:- how it is selected, how large it is, the methodology for selection, control, maintenance etc. etc... If anything, to me these figures only suggested that their panel might be susceptible to producing wayward results either when a title is new, server capacity is an issue, basically all kinds of fruity stuff. But it was used to "prove" the game had am 80/20 split by some. Utter nonsense.

We know the game is selling really well on -both- platforms, it's topping sales charts all over the place in its first month on the market, and this day-and-date release with PC, for this kind of title, leaves the game and its future stronger as a whole for releasing this way. No one platform is proven to be out-performing the other so far. Nobody at Sony, Arrowhead or Steam will be at all unhappy about this situation, unlike the usual salty fanbois who are only happy when they're warring. People trying to spin bullshit narratives around this game's early success will never not be pointless.

Either Helldivers is amazing and should have stayed exclusive to move PS5 units or it's only doing amazing thanks to the extra players on Steam.
🙄

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Nobody at Sony, Arrowhead or Steam will be at all unhappy about this situation, unlike the usual salty fanbois who are only happy when they're warring. People trying to spin bullshit narratives around this game's early success will never not be pointless.
Exactly.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Anyone playing the game back then knew using a combo of players in game and Steam Charts CCU to "prove" PC Helldivers II must be massively outselling the console version was an utter nonsense for obvious reasons.

The only time where a PC version of a multiplat game might be outselling a console version by a significant margin is for very specific PC centric titles(PC genre games/certain indie titles) and/or if the game has a big presence in China and other strong PC Asia markets(but mostly China due to the sheer size of the userbase over there).
We know this isn't the case for Helldivers 2 due to the early reviews scaring potential buyers away.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
The only time where a PC version of a multiplat game might be outselling a console version by a significant margin is for very specific PC centric titles(PC genre games/certain indie titles) and/or if the game has a big presence in China and other strong PC Asia markets(but mostly China due to the sheer size of the userbase over there).
We know this isn't the case for Helldivers 2 due to the early reviews scaring potential buyers away.
Correct. PC is lucky to sniff 20% share vs consoles for most titles so this performance means it is punching well above its weight. They can continue to have scraps and be milked for cash.

Reactions: PS_ROCKS

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
In the UK atleast the sales of rebirth are up over ff16.

He says up down over remake. But assuming he means down considering his comment about installbase.

Edit: he updated the tweet

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023

For the UK charts (digital + physical, GSD data) last week, Helldivers 2 is No.1 for a fourth consecutive week, although sales are finally dropping (but still only down by 30% week-on-week).

Week 2: up 115%
Week 3: up 21%
Week 4: down 30%

Yeah, this is catching up to SM2(in the UK) in a week or two.

In the UK atleast the sales of rebirth are up over ff16.
He says up down over remake. But assuming he means down considering his comment about installbase.

Very minimal bump over FFXVI though, doesn't offset the decline in Japan quite yet, still need Circana and Europe to get a better grasp on where things stand as far as the launch number goes.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

Nice to get some more data.
With Japan we can draw some guesses.

It won't reach Remake 3.5 million shipment + digital in 3 days.
I do think the 3 million shipment + digital first week for FFXVI were over shipment.

So I wonder what Rebirth will be?
Around 3 million like FFXVI or lower?

PR come 11 days after Remake launch.
PR come 6 days after FFXVI launch.

We are at 8 days after Rebirth launch so we probably will get the PR in a few days if SE wishes.