1706218001642.png

Ultros

Developer
Hadoque

Publisher
El Huervo, Kepler Ghost

Release
Feb 13, 2024

ULTROS is a psychedelic metroidvania where you wake up stranded on The Sarcophagus — a cosmic uterus holding an ancient, demonic being. Trapped in the loop of a black hole, you will have to explore The Sarcophagus and meet its inhabitants to understand the part you play...

Reviews:

1707754827341.png

1707754927547.png

Eurogamer
Christian Donlan
Eurogamer
Top Critic
4 / 5
Feb 12, 2024
Psychedelic stylings accompany a game of transformation and discovery.
Read full review

Metro GameCentral
Max Freeman Mills
Metro GameCentral
Top Critic
7 / 10
Feb 12, 2024
Sometimes visuals are enough to carry a game and they certainly take Ultros far, although mediocre combat and some jankiness slightly undermines the unique vision.
Read full review

GamesRadar+
Joe Donnelly
GamesRadar+
Top Critic

Feb 12, 2024
"Just when you thought Ultros couldn't get any more outlandish, it has its own gardening system."
Read full review

Shacknews
Josh Broadwell
Shacknews
Top Critic
9 / 10
Feb 12, 2024
Ultros is a kaleidoscope game. It takes a handful of ordinary things, shakes them up and sticks the pieces together, and then spins it all around. It's just a different version of what we've seen dozens of times before, sure. But it feels special, and it sure does look good.
Read full review

Mick Fraser
Mick Fraser
God is a Geek
Top Critic
8 / 10.0
Feb 12, 2024
Expect to be confused, bewildered, and visually seduced by Ultros, but don't expect to be too surprised by what simmers beneath the surface.
Read full review

Rock, Paper, Shotgun
Katharine Castle
Rock, Paper, Shotgun
Top Critic
Unscored
Feb 12, 2024
Late-game fiddliness spoils what is otherwise a vibrant and always interesting Metroidvania, whose emphasis on growth, connection and (tripping out on mad monsters) make it one of the most sumptuous games of 2024 so far.
Read full review

Push Square
Max Freeman Mills
Push Square
Top Critic
7 / 10
Feb 12, 2024
Ultros boasts a visual identity that deserves real recognition, a stunning vision of alien colour with design ideas that live long in the memory. Its platforming and combat can't quite match that vigorous success, sadly. Still, if you're on the hunt for a unique-looking Metroidvania game that comes bursting with ideas and a modest 10-hour runtime with the option of more if you love it, few games can match it for style.
Read full review

COGconnected
Mark Steighner
COGconnected
Top Critic
80 / 100
Feb 12, 2024
Ultros is a game with a very strong visual identity, trippy theme and a few unique mechanics, like its gardening system for upgrades and abilities. Strip away the psychedelic art and gauzy narrative, however, and you’re left with a somewhat familiar-playing 2D Metroidvania. That isn’t necessarily bad, but I wish the game’s combat and exploration matched the imagination of its art.
Read full review

Giovanni Colantonio
Giovanni Colantonio
Digital Trends
Top Critic

Feb 12, 2024
Ultros is a bold and beautiful artistic vision, but a convoluted Metroidvania.
Read full review

Brodie Gibbons
Brodie Gibbons
Press Start
Top Critic
9 / 10.0
Feb 12, 2024
Ultros takes the durable, and fortunately resurgent, genre of Metroidvania and places a clever roguelike spin on it that incorporates memory and gardening, placing it all within a cosmic womb orbiting a black hole at the edge of space. It'll be El Heurvo's art that's sure to capture your attention at first, but Ultros' several wedded ideas flower into a game that does well to keep it.
Read full review

PSX Brasil
Marco Aurélio Couto
PSX Brasil
Top Critic
75 / 100
Feb 12, 2024
Ultros is a good journey through colors and sound effects; A relaxing journey that inspires the preservation of life and its renewal. However, it could be a memorable experience if it was better balanced in some of its aspects.
Review in Portuguese | Read full review

Digitec Magazine
Kevin Hofer
Digitec Magazine

Unscored
Feb 12, 2024
Ultros is one of those games that grabs me right from the start, even though it doesn't explain almost anything. Maybe that's why I like it. I like being thrown in at the deep end and exploring the unknown without context. And when that world is as stylish as the "sarcophagus", it's all the better. Unfortunately, some ideas and unlockable abilities are not fully fleshed out. The same applies to the combat system, which suffers from a lack of enemy variety and a low difficulty level. Despite the criticism, I enjoyed playing Ultros. And if you like Metroidvanias, you'll probably feel the same.
Review in German | Read full review

Siliconera
Cory Dinkel
Siliconera
Top Critic
8 / 10.0
Feb 12, 2024
Ultros drips style, but does not skimp on substance. The psychedelic art style and dreamy soundtrack elevate the familiar, but not quite tired, gameplay loop.
Read full review

WellPlayed
Ash Wayling
WellPlayed
Top Critic
9 / 10.0
Feb 12, 2024
Ultros is one of those rare beasts that ticks many, many boxes for what makes a game memorable, right from the second its title screen sucker punches you with its prismatic panache.
Read full review

Last edited:

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Same publisher as Sifu.

Sifu was a big success for them but I didn't hear much about Ultros. The hype is very quiet.

The look of the game is pure fire. I don't think we've ever seen something like that. I wonder what is the inspiration for that art style.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Same publisher as Sifu.

Sifu was a big success for them but I didn't hear much about Ultros. The hype is very quiet.

The look of the game is pure fire. I don't think we've ever seen something like that. I wonder what is the inspiration for that art style.
They also published Cat Quest which was more meme than game.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Same publisher as Sifu.

Maybe a sprinkle of Hades? Obviously not isometric but the color scheme, ornate designs, and clean lines remind me of it …

• thinking_hard

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Enough with these 2d Sidescrollers, do indies know how to make anything else?

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Same publisher as Sifu.

Same. I really enjoyed Sifu.

Console exclusive for now. I wonder how much success Sony wants from a partner before making them a part of the family?
The days of waiting to purchase them organically like Insomniac and Bluepoint are kinda gone. Now days someone else like Tencent, Embracer or MS sill come buying them without any previous partnership

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Enough with these 2d Sidescrollers, do indies know how to make anything else?
Well they made Sifu which was a modern 3D brawler.
Maybe they wanted to try there take on this. Plus they made is within 2 years after Sifu released

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Same publisher as Sifu.

Ahhh you are right! Didn't realize that.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Well they made Sifu which was a modern 3D brawler.
Maybe they wanted to try there take on this. Plus they made is within 2 years after Sifu released

Hopefully their next game is 3D.

We already have thousands of generic 2d side scrollers. I think its long past time for indies to finally move on from this crap.

Reactions: Zzero and Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

We already have thousands of generic 2d side scrollers. I think its long past time for indies to finally move on from this crap.
I enjoy some of them tbh. Its mostly for fans who love that genre probably

I have some ideas that I havent seen in 2D side scroller I wouldnt mind trying out one day. Ive tested for about 10+ games and been around some developers so not just a pipe dream lol.

Id love to see them try something new in 3D. And maybe expand on Sifu gameplay in a new game like they did Absolver

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I enjoy some of them tbh. Its mostly for fans who love that genre probably

I have some ideas that I havent seen in 2D side scroller I wouldnt mind trying out one day. Ive tested for about 10+ games and been around some developers so not just a pipe dream lol.

Id love to see them try something new in 3D. And maybe expand on Sifu gameplay in a new game like they did Absolver
I need a mix of 2D games and 3D. I get tired of solely 3D all the time. You give me a solid 2d game with 3D backgrounds and I'm content.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

You think this game looks generic 🧐

And there's not that many big, mainstream Metroidvanias besides Ori and Hollow Knight.

Aeterna Noctis and Afterimage were also in that style. All of them are awesome.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Reviews are starting to come out and Playstation has another winner after Helldivers. What a year for exclusives 😋

It's 10% off for PS+ members

9/10

4/5

Anyone worried about difficulty, it seems you can adjust it in accessibility.

Screenshot_20240212_093942_Samsung Internet.jpg

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
View attachment 3853

Ultros

Developer
Hadoque

Publisher
El Huervo, Kepler Ghost

Release
Feb 13, 2024

ULTROS is a psychedelic metroidvania where you wake up stranded on The Sarcophagus — a cosmic uterus holding an ancient, demonic being. Trapped in the loop of a black hole, you will have to explore The Sarcophagus and meet its inhabitants to understand the part you play...

Really looked interesting and I wanted to get it but no way can I fit it into my rotation now.

• sad
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

1707754965594.png

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
So I played for about an hour and I love it 🤩

I disabled all the post processing effects besides Bloom and color grading and it looks incredible. The game is a mix between Hollow Knight, Dead Cells and Okami.

Screenshot_20240213_013454_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Is it normal that I was more hype about this than Helldivers before release 🤣