Unity unveils new Tech Demo “Lion” running on PS5 at SIGGRAPH 2022

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
Imagine being this paranoid over a tech demo 🤣

Anyway, that was really short, but it looked super-good. And better than that CGI Lion King train wreck from Disney 😊👍

Hmm...could be very good or very bad. Guessing more VR military simulation programs (Unity did also have that VR demo a couple months ago too IIRC).

I'd argue that RDR2, Cyberpunk (on PC) and TLOU Part 2 surpassed the demos shown for PS4/XBO back in 2012/2013.

The issue is that getting to that point in a commercial release is taking longer and longer, needing more dev time, larger teams, more outsourcing and bigger budgets. Which means more time. So generations have to either run longer or we end up with less AAA games overall (there are but so many support studios, artists, animators, programmers etc. in the industry after all, particularly on AAA side) to get games near the end that meet or exceed the tech demos shown early on.

Though I'd argue in some ways, at least with games like HFW, we're already getting games that measure up very strongly (or exceed in some areas) to the UE5 demo from 2020 and Enter the Matrix city demo, while being huge games on top of that. Well, I guess maybe only HFW would meet that criteria so far IMO, and that's thanks to being a 1P game using a custom, proprietary in-house engine.

So there is some hope we can get a couple of big AAA games by 2024 or so that match up to if not surprise those earlier demos, though I think the best chance for that is going to come from Sony 1P. Maybe Naughty Dog's next game, Spiderman 2, Wolverine, or whatever SSM's original new IP are. Heck, GOW Ragnarok should compare as favorably to the 2020 UE5 demo and Matrix demo as HFW does IMHO.
Paranoia lmao? I'm highlighting the Sony fanatic behavior when that UE5 demo came out and those lunatics actually thought only the PS5 could do that lol.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
No, because you guys have meltdowns. Meltdown less and the incentive goes away.
why not discuss something about the unity clip the op mentioned instead of going straight in on some garbage rant about ps5?

No one has mentioned anything about the ps5, but your straight in there, it's almost like your trying to make it an issue.

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
why not discuss something about the unity clip the op mentioned instead of going straight in on some garbage rant about ps5?

No one has mentioned anything about the ps5, but your straight in there, it's almost like your trying to make it an issue.
Who cares, ignore me. Apparently we're a bunch of adults here but no one has the self-control to just brush things off.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Who cares, ignore me. Apparently we're a bunch of adults here but no one has the self-control to just brush things off.
trying to stir shit up and your answer is "Ignore me" when you get called out for it.

you're exactly like you were on gaf, you just cant help yourself.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: ethomaz

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
trying to stir shit up and your answer is "Ignore me" when you get called out for it.

you're exactly like you were on gaf, you just cant help yourself.
Yes because what I set out to do is come to a new forum and then act like a completely different person... Is it working?

D

Deleted member 13

“Lion marks a key milestone for our Unity Art Tools, and illustrates our ongoing work to build tools that empower creators.

This collaborative demo showcases what happens when artists and developers work together at the production level to push the boundaries of what’s possible for real-time, high-fidelity visuals.”

“This combined production and technological effort features innovations in real-time technology that shows content created with Wētā Digital, SpeedTree, Ziva, SyncSketch, and the Unity Editor artist tools – now part of an integrated demo in a real-time pipeline, experienced on consumer hardware, running at 30 fps at 4K on PlayStation 5®.”

Now that's good fur!

WoolleyGamer

WoolleyGamer
Content Creator
27 Jun 2022
youtube.com
“Lion marks a key milestone for our Unity Art Tools, and illustrates our ongoing work to build tools that empower creators.

This collaborative demo showcases what happens when artists and developers work together at the production level to push the boundaries of what’s possible for real-time, high-fidelity visuals.”

“This combined production and technological effort features innovations in real-time technology that shows content created with Wētā Digital, SpeedTree, Ziva, SyncSketch, and the Unity Editor artist tools – now part of an integrated demo in a real-time pipeline, experienced on consumer hardware, running at 30 fps at 4K on PlayStation 5®.”

looks incredible. Unity's new muscle dynamics has legs! and the FUURRRRR

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
While just a very short glimpse, it looked great. Never thought unity engine could push graphics that hard

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Yes because what I set out to do is come to a new forum and then act like a completely different person... Is it working?
Acting like a decent human being and not some frothing-mouthed fanboy is not a lot to ask for.

But you do you, I just find it sad that is your intended purpose here.

yewles1

21 Jun 2022
Indianapolis, IN, USA
PSN ID
yewyew1
looks incredible. Unity's new muscle dynamics has legs! and the FUURRRRR

Reactions: LED