Unity unveils new Tech Demo “Lion” running on PS5 at SIGGRAPH 2022

24 Jun 2022
I mean eventually as years pass by tech gets better and at some point big games catch up to the tech demos, just not in the near future for traditionally large games like people try to paint it or get disappointed if a tech demo comes out and within the gen they do not see a game with that caliber of graphics, it is not realistic.

I mean a water drip can eventually become a big mess or a sizable amount of water but it takes time :)

If we're talking about the typical 3P games, then I can largely agree. When I mentioned that TLOU Part 2, Cyberpunk (the PC version at least), and RDR2 matched or beat the tech demos for PS4/XBO back in 2012/2013, I also know that those are not the typical 3P games. One's a 1P title, the other two are among the biggest 3P games ever released to date.

So I guess they are exceptions to the rule. My thing is, we'll still have those exceptions and I feel we're already seeing a few of them in a couple of Sony's 1P titles like Rift Apart and especially HFW. At that pace we should have a couple of games that are at or notably beyond what the UE5 2020 and Matrix demos provide, in a real game, even if that's going to be almost exclusively bound to a Sony 1P release. And I feel we'll get that game before 2025.

For other developers though? It could be longer, and in some cases never happen. I think GTA6 will provide fidelity at or exceeding those demos, mainly because it is not cross-gen and also because it's a marquee R* IP. Maybe that Avatar game does as well. But that's just two games out of hundreds. Maybe Hellblade II? It's a pretty short list.

Gamespot System Wars forum. The lowest of the lows when it comes to internet gaming forums. He was banned from that place and nobody ever gets banned from there.

Wow that is...that's amazing 🤣

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
If we're talking about the typical 3P games, then I can largely agree. When I mentioned that TLOU Part 2, Cyberpunk (the PC version at least), and RDR2 matched or beat the tech demos for PS4/XBO back in 2012/2013, I also know that those are not the typical 3P games. One's a 1P title, the other two are among the biggest 3P games ever released to date.

So I guess they are exceptions to the rule. My thing is, we'll still have those exceptions and I feel we're already seeing a few of them in a couple of Sony's 1P titles like Rift Apart and especially HFW. At that pace we should have a couple of games that are at or notably beyond what the UE5 2020 and Matrix demos provide, in a real game, even if that's going to be almost exclusively bound to a Sony 1P release. And I feel we'll get that game before 2025.

For other developers though? It could be longer, and in some cases never happen. I think GTA6 will provide fidelity at or exceeding those demos, mainly because it is not cross-gen and also because it's a marquee R* IP. Maybe that Avatar game does as well. But that's just two games out of hundreds. Maybe Hellblade II? It's a pretty short list.
I think people don't realize but we're already too close to that UE5 Tech Demo fidelity level. Adding game mechanics, NPCs, foliage, etc. would decrease UE5 Tech Demo's visual fidelity.

If we take that into account and compare the (hypothetical) final result, some of PlayStation's games do not look too far away from that.

Yes, Rift Apart and Horizon Forbidden West are common examples, but God of War Ragnarok also looks amazing -- almost cutscene level at time with those 4K, high-poly assets.

E-4-Cv6z-X0-Aol-H9p.jpg

god-of-war-ragnarok-watermark-screenshot-11-en-08sep21.jpg

god-of-war-ragnarok-watermark-screenshot-07-en-08sep21.jpg

These are compressed images from a one-year-old build. This will be another looker when it releases this year. And again, this is another cross-gen game!

For comparison with the 2018 game; there is a massive difference.

944065-god-of-war-playstation-4-screenshot-killing-cannot-be-half.jpg

gow-09.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 13

I think people don't realize but we're already too close to that UE5 Tech Demo fidelity level. Adding game mechanics, NPCs, foliage, etc. would decrease UE5 Tech Demo's visual fidelity.

If we take that into account and compare the (hypothetical) final result, some of PlayStation's games do not look too far away from that.

Yes, Rift Apart and Horizon Forbidden West are common examples, but God of War Ragnarok also looks amazing -- almost cutscene level at time with those 4K, high-poly assets.

These are compressed images from a one-year-old build. This will be another looker when it releases this year. And again, this is another cross-gen game!
Those images look just like GoW (2018). I fail to see them looking cutscene level. 4k render target will always yield high quality results.

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Those images look just like GoW (2018). I fail to see them looking cutscene level. 4k render target will always yield high quality results.
Nah man, there is generational difference between the two sets of images. The texture quality, poly count, lighting, assets, etc. everything looks massively improved -- especially if you looked at them side by side. High-poly assets seem to be making the biggest differences here.

They have also added a lot more detail. Look at both the Kratos (over the shoulder) shots, and you'll notice the difference. You can also see how different (and improved) Atreus looks -- from skin texture to the smaller details on his suit.

Having said that, God of War (2018) is still one of the most beautiful-looking games out there even after four years.

D

Deleted member 13

Nah man, there is generational difference between the two sets of images. The texture quality, poly count, lighting, assets, etc. everything looks massively improved -- especially if you looked at them side by side. High-poly assets seem to be making the biggest differences here.
I'm coming from seeing GoW (2018) in full native 4k on a PC. Those images I can match the fidelity with my own screenshots.

24 Jun 2022

Exactly. That's why I was saying if there's any game that can exceed the UE5 2020 demo in real-time, for an actual large-scale effort, it'll most likely be a Sony 1P game. And FWIW, a lot of what made that UE5 2020 demo so amazing wasn't just technical features, but artistic flourishes, art direction, color design etc. All things Sony's 1P marquee games tend to excel at extremely well.

I mean, those Ragnarok images are proof enough, and again that's "just" a cross-gen title. I think many are salivating at the thought of what the next games from SSM, GG, ND and other Sony 1P teams look like when they can finally leave PS4 behind (at least in terms of native versions; like MS did with Flight Sim, I think Sony can still support cloud streaming versions of PS5-only games for PS4. Might as well IMHO).

I'm coming from seeing GoW (2018) in full native 4k on a PC. Those images I can match the fidelity with my own screenshots.

Well if anything that just speaks to how good GOW 2018 looks like as a full package 😉