Unpopular Opinion - Insomniac is Wasting their Talents

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
Maybe it’s time to admit they might not be as prolific or successful without working on established IP.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Maybe it’s time to admit they might not be as prolific or successful without working on established IP.
Right...it's not like they created some of the most iconic platformers ever in Spyro and Ratchet and Clank 😐

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
Right...it's not like they created some of the most iconic platformers ever in Spyro and Ratchet and Clank 😐
Okay just forget everything else they’ve made lol. Not to mention one of these isn’t even on the docket for a modern release.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
I don't think sales are even what people pump Insomniac for?

Their release output pace has been stellar and scores good too. How many have they released since being acquired? Absolutely took ND's crown as they bumblefucked around. And I dont even play Insomniac's stuff for the most part. Their pedigree/efficiency is just readily apparent. What is this shade?

Reactions: Box and Zzero

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
I don't think sales are even what people pump Insomniac for?

Their release output pace has been stellar and scores good too. How many have they released since being acquired? Absolutely took ND's crown as they bumblefucked around. And I dont even play Insomniac's stuff for the most part. Their pedigree/efficiency is just readily apparent. What is this shade?
Zero shade but have they not hit a new stratosphere since being handed Spider-Man?

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Zero shade but have they not hit a new stratosphere since being handed Spider-Man?
They chose Spiderman they had the option to pick from any marvel IP. You can't just imply the IP is the reason they are now so successful, when again it became the biggest selling Superhero game of all time. There's been many Spiderman games yet none cracked over 8 million sold.

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
They chose Spiderman they had the option to pick from any marvel IP. You can't just imply the IP is the reason they are now so successful, when again it became the biggest selling Superhero game of all time. There's been many Spiderman games yet none cracked over 8 million sold.
They’re stellar devs of course, I’m just countering OP’s point that they’re wasting their talents on Marvel. Great devs plus a highly recognizable IP = the success we’re currently seeing. I don’t think we see the same results if they, say, make a new Resistence.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
They’re stellar devs of course, I’m just countering OP’s point that they’re wasting their talents on Marvel. Great devs plus a highly recognizable IP = the success we’re currently seeing. I don’t think we see the same results if they, say, make a new Resistence.
Well the Resistance IP has been stagnant for over a decade now? It was established during a time in Playstation history when Sony was struggling to kick-starting new IP. If the Resistance IP was created during PS4 era, you wouldn't have made such a statement. End of the day we don't know how a New IP from them would fare. I'm willing to bet it would be a bigger success than anything they've made other than Spiderman though.

Last generation you'd probably also say it was impossible for Sucker Punch to create a 10+ million selling IP coming off the Infamous franchise.

What we do know is the brand (Insomniac) is officially one of the biggest in gaming currently and so, whatever they do now will get a whole lot more attention than when they were making Resistance.

Reactions: Box and BroodCorp

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Hell no. I'm not into superhero games but insomniac has their expertise and niche and they shouldn't step out of it just to cater to your whims. They weren't forced to make these games, these are the games they wanted to make.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Sales and critical reception are king. Plus they have Wolverine and another unknown game in development.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I'd much rather have more Spidermans and fewer TLOUs so I disagree whole-heartedly.

Last edited:

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
I also can't feel ANY excitement for these casual sueprhero mass stuff. Like at all.
I am having fun when watching the movies but I am not going out of my way to do so

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I also can't feel ANY excitement for these casual sueprhero mass stuff. Like at all.
I am having fun when watching the movies but I am not going out of my way to do so
Luckily for you they are the only sony studio doing superhero stuff, go be mad at bend, naughty dog, sucker punch for not putting out a game

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
I believe Spider-Man is a Sony property they purchased from Marvel when they were struggling. Marvel licenses it back to put him into the mcu. Something of that ilk.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I believe Spider-Man is a Sony property they purchased from Marvel when they were struggling. Marvel licenses it back to put him into the mcu. Something of that ilk.

Sony has the movie license. The game and TV licenses still belong to Marvel.

Reactions: Shmunter