Unreal Engine 5 Demo - Dissection

• Thread starter Deleted member 13
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 13

All,

I will continue to make my analysis threads here for all the enthusiasts and those that want to learn a bit more about 3D graphics. Hopefully @brainchild will help me with some of this thread.

First up is taking a look at the editor mode and getting some stats on how our rendering is doing and how Nanite is performing. I don't know Lumen or Nanite in depth, but I will learn as this thread unfolds. Hopefully I can explain things as simple as can be but being a little technical at the same time.
Here are the following specs for my computer:
AMD 3950X Ryzen
RTX 3090 w/24G VRAM
64G DDR4 RAM
EVO 970 2T SSD

Our first video:

A few things to note here: Take a look at the stats on your right.

1) Total RAM Usage to run this demo is around 9-10G. Very light.

2) Total VRAM Usage to run this demo on graphics card is between 14-15G.

3) I wanted to get some metrics at the Nanite streaming and sure enough, they had it in their profiler. Check out the number of stream requests from Nanite: between 9k to 25k streaming requests. Nanite works by streaming in higher res geometry dependent on camera distance. In this demo, we can see that pointing the camera at various instances of the geometry in the scene makes more or less requests. Looking straight up at the sky yields nearly 40 requests (which is expected).

4) Overall performance: 60FPS

This demo is just to get a feel for how it is performing. My intention is to critique this demo. I want to know what makes it tick and understand what it's doing and also how to push the graphics card to the limits. 😂

*NOTE:*
The desktop resolution is native 4k
* At first glance, I thought the fidelity of the PS5 demo was sharper, but after looking at the video closely, I can verify that the detail is the same.
* I have not shown a video of actually "playing" the demo yet. We will get to that next.

Questions, comments?

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
All,

I will continue to make my analysis threads here for all the enthusiasts and those that want to learn a bit more about 3D graphics. Hopefully @brainchild will help me with some of this thread.

First up is taking a look at the editor mode and getting some stats on how our rendering is doing and how Nanite is performing. I don't know Lumen or Nanite in depth, but I will learn as this thread unfolds. Hopefully I can explain things as simple as can be but being a little technical at the same time.
Here are the following specs for my computer:
AMD 3950X Ryzen
RTX 3090 w/24G VRAM
64G DDR4 RAM
EVO 970 2T SSD

Our first video:

A few things to note here: Take a look at the stats on your right.

1) Total RAM Usage to run this demo is around 9-10G. Very light.

2) Total VRAM Usage to run this demo on graphics card is between 14-15G.

3) I wanted to get some metrics at the Nanite streaming and sure enough, they had it in their profiler. Check out the number of stream requests from Nanite: between 9k to 25k streaming requests. Nanite works by streaming in higher res geometry dependent on camera distance. In this demo, we can see that pointing the camera at various instances of the geometry in the scene makes more or less requests. Looking straight up at the sky yields nearly 40 requests (which is expected).

4) Overall performance: 60FPS

This demo is just to get a feel for how it is performing. My intention is to critique this demo. I want to know what makes it tick and understand what it's doing and also how to push the graphics card to the limits. 😂

*NOTE:*
The desktop resolution is native 4k
* At first glance, I thought the fidelity of the PS5 demo was sharper, but after looking at the video closely, I can verify that the detail is the same.
* I have not shown a video of actually "playing" the demo yet. We will get to that next.

Questions, comments?

I just ordered the
AMD Ryzen 5900x,
G.skill DD4 16gb 3600 CL14 Tridents,
SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB
No Graphics card yet I'm running a Radeon VII still waiting for new cards in October.

But your rig is nice.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Nope. I mainly use it for games. Low latency memory works better in specific configs. ANd I never have run out of memory when playing games.

Fair enough. I have 32GB (not low latency) but my Desktop is 4 years old, so not as good anymore. I do a lot of audio editing and recording, so it comes in handy having that much memory.

Next one I'm probably adding 64GB.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
and i am sitting with 8Gb :D
Sad No Way GIF by Apple Music

Reactions: TubzGaming

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
@VFX_Veteran what's your take on this? Would love your opinion.

My 2 cents - It's looks fabulous, but the animations seem very "canned".
Geez you weren’t kidding.

Side note. It would be awesome if this little corner attracted some real industry attention over time. Maybe VFX could even interview some peeps … If he wanted to of course.

• thisistheway
Reactions: Satoru and Bo_Hazem