Updated Sept 27 with DF new video tech analysis: Forza Motorsports previews

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
No VR or 120fps mode makes it obsolete already. Idk why Microsoft even bothered trying.
I knew they were lying. I got banned from gaf for saying that. Feels great to feel vindicated. Also the tress aren't like what they show

Reactions: JAHGamer

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
20230911_220327.jpg
RT mode is only at 30fps?
Edit - Ohhhh there is a performance RT mode.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Arc

5 Sep 2023
Well, this is a Sophie’s choice.

I am by no means a 60 FPS purist, but there are certain genres that just can’t or shouldn’t go back, not unless they’re trying to do something like be stuffed onto a handheld.

The biggest part of the marketing so far for this has been… ray tracing. And now it’s not really viable on Xbox for most sim fans.

😕

Great for PC players though. They’ll get the promised jump. For console players though, I can’t help but feel they should have paid their attention elsewhere.

Edit: Am retarded, didn’t see performance RT. Still a bit of a crazy choice but dropping resolution makes much more sense than dropping FPS.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Looking at Super GTs video

Some notes of mine
  • Seems like the physics are pretty much the same as in F7.
  • Graphically it seems worse than GT7, even with Ray Tracing. It looks like a last gen game for the most part, with car models being very bad when compared with its PS counterpart
  • Damage model is better than GT7, but that was always better
  • AI looks better than GT7, but that's not a hard task since the AI in GT games is completely brain dead
  • The tracks look very soulless.
Overall, this doesn't seem nearly as good as GT7, but I actually think it will score higher, as Forza games usually do. It definitely feels more arcady than GT7 as well.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It definitely feels more arcady than GT7 as well.
That is the reason it always scored better... the AI assists are better (auto turns, auto brake, etc) too well at least the last time I played a Forza Motorsport (at Brazil Game Show with FM5 demo on Xbox One a month before release in 2013).

Edit - When I say AI assists are better it not necessary good for these games... it is useful to me like my 2-3 years old child could barely make the car in the track with all assists turned on in GT7 (I have to always use the oval Daytona track to keep him on track well on walls to be fair) but in Forza Motorsport that I played he should have no issue with that (just accelerate and let the AI assists do the rest).

Anyway these AI assists are garbage for me.

Reactions: VillaiN

Snake29

21 Jun 2022
After watching the video, the game feels a bit soulless. That fits right with Xbox, though.

It's just Forza Horizon on circuits. Nothing about it give you any "professional racing game" vibe. The whole UI and "points" systems is arcady as fuck. Even SuperGT didn't liked that.

Love seeing how xbox fans were all hyped up by the first intitial trailer that it would beat GT7 on all fronts. Lol now look at the game now, it doesn't even comes close to GT7.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
How was this in development for 6 years? What were they doing all that time ? Not even trying to be funny, besides the tacky "CaRPG" mechanics, it looks like a copy and paste of FM7.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
How was this in development for 6 years? What were they doing all that time ? Not even trying to be funny, besides the tacky "CaRPG" mechanics, it looks like a copy and paste of FM7.

I was sure at least it was going to have crazy graphics and physics. Maybe they spent all that time trying to get it to run on the SS.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Last edited:

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Yay! Paid Content!

It is hilarious, and very telling, that one of the main things Xbox fanboys claim makes Forza superior is how the games shove supercars up your ass as rewards for breathing, and the main thing they are preemptively bitching about for the new one is that the devs said they have rebalanced prizes to give the game a proper feel of progression, rather than giving away Lamborghinis for winning the first race of the game.

24 Jun 2022
kazunori-yamauchi-1aaac6ff-9a28-4dfd-98f1-ea79db35bdc-resize-750.jpeg

This point was brutal by super gt

Remember "Built up from the ground up" 😆

Doesn't look like it, either. FM7 was a very good-looking sim racer, but FM8 looks virtually identical in terms of car detail, trackside detail, geometry density etc. I guess the resolution is improved?

Going from the 2022 reveal footage to what they've shown yesterday is...quite the step down the ladder. Compared to GT7, its weak in quite a few areas, but does have a couple advantages:

+ Chase Cam (GT7's is too rigid and tight on the car's backside. I love a sexy backside, but I need to see dem hips sometimes too)​
+ 3D trackside objects (trees, for example. Both this and GT7 have LOD shadow pop-in on trackside foliage but FM8 seems to have less, or it's less noticeable)​
+ Visible car damage (usually an area GT's been weak in anyway, but it's nice the Forza games have it)​
+ Some weather effects (particularly on the player camera when in third-person mode. In some instances FM8 has the advantage like with rainy weather)​
- Lighting (this is a big one; GT7 has an overall better lighting system and that gives everything a more realistic pop. Also helps with better contrast ratios and highlights) (Also yes I know FM8 has in-game RT but I am talking lighting as a whole; just having RT doesn't automatically mean your lighting will look better.​
GT7's mix of non-RT lighting systems and artistic choices give it stronger lighting overall than FM8)​
- Color Palette/Balance (This is impacted by the lighting. A lot of FM8's lighting in areas seems kind of flat and that mutes some of the colors)​
- Car model detail (it looks like GT7 has more detailed car models, going by the cars we've seen both games share, in-game (non-Photomode))​
- Car model material (GT7's cars seem to have better material/textures applied to them, while FM8's cars look a bit "flat" by comparison)​