Valve Steam: "We worked with Sony to improve support for PlayStation controllers"

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
they should use AI to auto-detect controllers and apply right buttons for it, it's very frustrating when i want to play a game but only Xbox buttons are avaliable

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
That's pretty cool of Valve and Sony. No wonder my PS5 controller works so well on PC.
they should use AI to auto-detect controllers and apply right buttons for it, it's very frustrating when i want to play a game but only Xbox buttons are avaliable
That's on developers
Developers can design games to detect different controllers and display different prompts accordingly. Many games already do this. Another option for developers is to put options in the settings menu to change the button prompts to the user's choice.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Perfect for when they port Astro Bot. :ROFLMAO:

Neutral prompts or user-select ones are the best from. Devs rely too much auto-detect and then it doesn't work.

I hate Xbox promts and it's extreme frustrating that many games force you to use it or apply mods.

Elend Ring is one that at least until the last time I played didn't let you play with PlayStation prompts, infuriating.

Reactions: Etifilio and Puff

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
Perfect for when they port Astro Bot. :ROFLMAO:

Neutral prompts or user-select ones are the best from. Devs rely too much auto-detect and then it doesn't work.

I hate Xbox promts and it's extreme frustrating that many games force you to use it or apply mods.

Elend Ring is one that at least until the last time I played didn't let you play with PlayStation prompts, infuriating.
I've been using my PS5 controller to play the Steam port of Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5 and it has an option in the menu to choose between Playstation, Xbox, or Nintendo button prompts, it's really convenient

• thisistheway
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I've been using my PS5 controller to play the Steam port of Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5 and it has an option in the menu to choose between Playstation, Xbox, or Nintendo button prompts, it's really convenient
I always had a better experience with those that allow the player to select.

FFXV had a neutral prompt that I really appreciated and that more games should have. It showed the position of the face buttons and worked for pretty much any controller.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
What exactly does this mean?

Are we finally getting on bluetooth all the features we could otherwise only get through USB like HD haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, speaker+mic support, light color control and touchpad support?

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I don’t understand what they are saying here. PS5 controllers are now compatible but weren’t before?

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
AI is not even close to needed for this kind of functionality. :p

Reactions: TrishaCat
24 Jun 2022
Cause it is from Valves perspective.

Isn’t that obvious?

Well it's also because SIE have ported a large amount of their own games to Steam and go by the same license cut as any other 3P publisher on the platform. So even if it's from Valve's POV, it's also a factually accurate POV.

When (if) Valve port DOTA 2, Counterstrike 2, Half-Life: Alyx etc. to PS5 or add PS5 compatibility for Steam Controller & Valve Index, then SIE can make a similar statement (if they even care). But that's not the case of things as they stand.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Well it's also because SIE have ported a large amount of their own games to Steam and go by the same license cut as any other 3P publisher on the platform. So even if it's from Valve's POV, it's also a factually accurate POV.

When (if) Valve port DOTA 2, Counterstrike 2, Half-Life: Alyx etc. to PS5 or add PS5 compatibility for Steam Controller & Valve Index, then SIE can make a similar statement (if they even care). But that's not the case of things as they stand.

Not really. I knew you were gonna go there. A whole lot of nothing.

Irrespective of what Sony or Valve does, from Valves perspective Sony is Third Party.

Valve are Third Party from Sonys perspective.

Nintendo and Microsoft are also Third party from Valves Perspective too.

What do you think First Person and Third Person means?

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Idiots, not only do they give away every competitive advantage but they also help to speed up the process 🤡
The best place to play games will soon be Steamdeck not PS console. Steam holds a library of PS, Xbox, Steam, PC & Mobile games while PS library holds PS, some Xbox, some PC & some mobile games

Ty Sony you’ve made steam the best place to play & experience PS games not your own platform. Oh & for a cheaper price w a better storefront & ecosystem. Gabe 3 steps ahead while PS is 1 step ahead 2 steps back.

Steam went from a 3rd party publisher on Xbox & PS to now being the 1 gaming storefront bigger than Xbox & PS aswell as a monopoly in PC gaming. Gabe understand the value of true permanent exclusive & forcing gamers into its platform/storefront. Gabe playing the long game letting Xbox & PS self destruct. Nintendo aswell understands like Steam which is why when they acquired a port studio it wasn’t to port Nintendo games to other direct competitors platform/storefront it was actually the opposite to bring 3rd party into Nintendo bolstering its platform & storefront making the platform who had x game exclusive to its platform no longer have that exclusive & loosing key games away from Nintendo. Fully expect Nintendo to target key games from PS to be ported ASAP as long as there no contracts keeping it hostage. Nintendo smart in the other hand PS acquired a port studio not to bring more games into its platform & storefront which PS lacks & miss many games from Nintendo, PC, Mobile & sometimes even Xbox but instead PS port studio ports PS own games to other direct competitor platform/storefront diminishing PS own platform/storefront

I can see Apple, Google, Netflix & Meta/Quest make their own hybrid handheld w 3rd party support & true permanent exclusive. PS keeps eyeing Xbox as a competitor which is a low comparison to make instead of seeing PC/Steam, Nintendo, Meta/Quest, Apple, Google as current/future competitors w bigger wallets who’s has had a history of having permanent exclusive content to bolster its platform/storfront. Apple Arcade benefits should speaks enough with how Apple would act if they ever got into traditional gaming/hybrid handhelds

2 Jun 2024
guess that means both Nintendo and Xbox are third party as well going by this retard logic when it's only controller support Xbox even more so