VGC: Black Myth Wukong is more like God of War rather than a Soulslike

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

It seems that Black Myth: Wukong has many elements of this subgenre popularized by FromSoftware and also draws from hack and slash.

"It's more like God of War than a soulslike", said a representative of the Chinese studio explained before launching us into the game itself.

But now it's time to get to the really important part, the difficulty of the ARPG. As we told us, a member of Game Science confirmed that Black Myth: Wukong will not have difficulty levels. Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

“Back in 2020, we were using Unreal Engine 4,” a spokesperson from developer Game Science told us. “We’re going for a super realistic style. We want players to feel like they’re in those scenic spots.

“In 2021 we moved to Unreal Engine 5, which helped us in our pursuit of realism. We used mo-cap and scanning technology to create a very real environment. A lot of players find the game to be very beautifully made.

“To be honest, in the genre of action RPGs there are not too many games that feature realistic and natural Chinese environments.”

Last edited:

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
Excited Despicable Me GIF

• Shake
Reactions: 2spooky5me

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Man I hope this does justice to the JTTW mythos, if they get boss designs right then even elden ring and fromsoft will be left in the dust. The 4 heavenly kings, nezha would be peak encounters. Hopefully they do justice to Erlang Shen fight as well as the 81 tribulations of JTTW.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: 2spooky5me

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Many don't realize this... + it looks way more badass
Wukong looks like completely amazing. whole combat, animations, locations. we will see, how it will combines in one whole game. can the all game keep the same quality, not just demos.

Reactions: voke

mckmas8808

26 Mar 2024
Wukong looks like completely amazing. whole combat, animations, locations. we will see, how it will combines in one whole game. can the all game keep the same quality, not just demos.

Yep! This is the only thing keeping this back from being a 90+ scored game.

Reactions: Kokoloko

BLAZE

20 Feb 2024
My hype for this game went up to 100% after hearing that. Don't get me wrong, I don't think the Souls franchise is bad, but I definitely prefer the game design of God of War (2018 and Ragnarök) and similar games.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I consider the reboot series soulslikes anyway so whatever this means… okay? So less punish on death?

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
It looks great there's just so many games coming out at the second half of the year I want I can't afford them all , dead rising , test drive unlimited solar crown , sonic x shadow generations , silent hill 2 , black myth wukong , Asto bot.... This is a packed season for me

• Shake
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: voke and 2spooky5me

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
It looks great there's just so many games coming out at the second half of the year I want I can't afford them all , dead rising , test drive unlimited solar crown , sonic x shadow generations , silent hill 2 , black myth wukong , Asto bot.... This is a packed season for me
Apart from Astro Bot, i am not interested what you play, and still, i have ton what to play.. nice variety of games coming out.