VGC: Nintendo Next Console releasing next year, details leaked

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
nintendojapanstore-1280x859.jpg

Details:
  • LCD screen instead of an OLED screen to lower cost, to balance out the higher amount of storage required for higher fidelity games.
  • Accept physical games via a cartridge slot
  • At least Over 100GB of internal memory
  • Targeting second half of 2024
  • Portable and Docked Mode

Development kits for Nintendo’s next console are now with key partner studios, with launch planned for next year, sources have told VGC.

According to multiple people with knowledge of Nintendo’s next-gen console plans, the company is likely to release new hardware during the second half of 2024, to ensure that it has ample stock available on day one and to avoid the kind of shortages seen with PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S.

Although specific details on the console are being kept closely guarded, those VGC spoke to indicated that the next-gen console would be able to be used in portable mode, similar to the Nintendo Switch.

Two sources VGC spoke to suggested that the console could launch with an LCD screen, instead of the more premium OLED, in order to bring down costs, especially considering the increased storage needed for higher fidelity games. The current Switch comes with just 32GB of internal memory, while many current-gen PlayStation and Xbox games are over 100GB.

source

Last edited:
Reactions: Systemshock2023

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
It fits with the common sense:
  • Nintendo said they won't release it this FY, and no March release pretty likely means November 2024 release
  • Devs getting devkits around a year and a half before release make sense, some key ones should already had early prototypes even before
  • Makes sense repeat the hybrid approach since it was a great success and would be way easier for them to compete in the portable market they dominate and where they are basically alone than in the home console market, where Sony is too strong
  • Following their trend of cheap and weak overpriced hardware, makes sense for them releasing it with LCD instead of OLED (which could be added later to a different SKU)

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
Pointless report as it contradicts itself on a key feature, the type of screen.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
When people say "memory" to mean disc, my doubt meter starts jumping. Even by PS3 standards, 100GB is not enough.

Reactions: Muddasar

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
100GB? 250GB is the least they should consider.

Specs wise, I don't expect it to be more powerful than Steam Deck. They have to sell it at $250-$300.
Internal probably for game save for catridges user

Most Switch owners go digital usuaully buy a sd card anyway.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
So fall 2024? I was hoping for a March release.

LCD screen? Nintendo is cheap, so it sounds credible.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
That sounds like another weak underpowered consoles

I missed the day when nintendo used to be the leading tech in videogame

24 Jun 2022
Haven't NAND prices been falling substantially over the years? Unless they're using SLC-quality NAND, having "100 GB" of internal storage isn't just weak. It's pathetic.

And it's definitely penny-pinching just to increase profit margins, at the expense of long-term product value that meets bare minimum of current market expectations. Could care less about the screen type, just as long as the resolution is good.

That sounds like another weak underpowered consoles

I missed the day when nintendo used to be the leading tech in videogame

Eh, they lucked out in all those instances. Either by being super LTTP (SNES), or having a 3P company develop their GPU (N64, Gamecube).

Nintendo have never chased having the most powerful console on the market; they just lucked into that due to timing and naturally benefiting from Moore's Law.

Even in the case of systems like SNES, the majority of advantages it had over Genesis were due to coprocessors in the cartridges themselves (which is why the average SNES game costed more than the average Genesis/MegaDrive game).

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Nah they used to be the best

Remember Nintendo 64 and Gamecube

Mario 64 graphics blow me away when i was a kid

Yup. Saying otherwise is some revisionist history.

GameCube was somewhat competitive against the Xbox and clearly superior to ps2 at the time. The N64 was marketed as the powerhouse console and could properly display 3d polygons. Nintendo was indeed once competitive with console horsepower.

I don’t expect them to compete now tho. They quit the home console race. The hybrid semantics is copium. It’s a handheld and those should be your expectations. I’ll be surprised if it’s close to steamdeck’s capacities but I doubt even that capable.

I’m getting one for sure whenever Metroid Prime 4 drops.

Reactions: Airbus

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Only thing I care about as far as Nintendo hype is the specs. That is, are they going to challenge MS/Sony or continue to stay on their lane.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Only thing I care about as far as Nintendo hype is the specs. That is, are they going to challenge MS/Sony or continue to stay on their lane.
Their profit margins are great. I don’t see anyone at Nintendo making a case to sacrifice profits by making expensive hardware.

Therefore, I expect a modest jump for the next Switch.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023

It's more than hardware that keeps Nintendo from challenging Sony. Full voice acting is still out of reach for most Nintendo projects. They're not close to Uncharted 2 levels of mocap-blended animation. If Nintendo had unlimited hardware resources, they would still not hit AAA production values of God of War 3, let alone Rangarok.

• haha
Reactions: Zzero

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Haven't NAND prices been falling substantially over the years? Unless they're using SLC-quality NAND, having "100 GB" of internal storage isn't just weak. It's pathetic.

And it's definitely penny-pinching just to increase profit margins, at the expense of long-term product value that meets bare minimum of current market expectations. Could care less about the screen type, just as long as the resolution is good.

Eh, they lucked out in all those instances. Either by being super LTTP (SNES), or having a 3P company develop their GPU (N64, Gamecube).

Nintendo have never chased having the most powerful console on the market; they just lucked into that due to timing and naturally benefiting from Moore's Law.

Even in the case of systems like SNES, the majority of advantages it had over Genesis were due to coprocessors in the cartridges themselves (which is why the average SNES game costed more than the average Genesis/MegaDrive game).
That's the thing, all these talks about super 4 TFLOPS NVIDIA Orin ARM chip that could cost Nintendo no less than 150 USD per unit.

At most I think it would probably be an Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 chip that costs them 50 USD.

Nintendo is skimpy little bastard.

Banana

10 Jan 2023
It's more than hardware that keeps Nintendo from challenging Sony. Full voice acting is still out of reach for most Nintendo projects. They're not close to Uncharted 2 levels of mocap-blended animation. If Nintendo had unlimited hardware resources, they would still not hit AAA production values of God of War 3, let alone Rangarok.
Nintendo's games don't really fit that style anyway.

I am very surprised about the LCD screen. I'm curious how successful this console will be.