Video game performers will go on strike over artificial intelligence concerns

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023
Hollywood’s video game performers voted to go on strike Thursday, throwing part of the entertainment industry into another work stoppage after talks for a new contract with major game studios broke down over artificial intelligence protections.

The strike — the second for video game voice actors and motion capture performers under the Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists — will begin at 12:01 a.m. Friday. The move comes after nearly two years of negotiations with gaming giants, including divisions of Activision, Warner Bros. and Walt Disney Co., over a new interactive media agreement.

SAG-AFTRA negotiators say gains have been made over wages and job safety in the video game contract, but that the studios will not make a deal over the regulation of generative AI. Without guardrails, game companies could train AI to replicate an actor’s voice, or create a digital replica of their likeness without consent or fair compensation, the union said.

Fran Drescher, the union’s president, said in a prepared statement that members would not approve a contract that would allow companies to “abuse AI.”
“Enough is enough. When these companies get serious about offering an agreement our members can live — and work — with, we will be here, ready to negotiate,” Drescher said.

Last edited:
Reactions: Entropi

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I’m on their side on this one. Greedy corporations want to plagiarize people’s work to fatten the board and CEOs' wallets.

One more thing on what I believe Nintendo is doing the right thing.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: voke and JAHGamer

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Well AI is here to stay and the benefits far outweigh some voice actors not making money, these people will have to deal with it the same way the auto and steel workers dealt with it when all their jobs were outsourced, I have more sympathy for them than people working in hollywood.

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
Well AI is here to stay and the benefits far outweigh some voice actors not making money, these people will have to deal with it the same way the auto and steel workers dealt with it when all their jobs were outsourced, I have more sympathy for them than people working in hollywood.
Exactly, they're about to checkmate themselves.

Insane that they don't see it.

Reactions: toadsage44

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I can't wait for AI to replace voice acting, which has been holding back writers' creativity in RPGs for two decades or more now.

Of course, it will be replacing writers too, soon enough....

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Sucks that insomniac is getting struck against even though they agreed to the union's terms. Imo unions should leverage their bargaining power more effectively by rewarding the places that agree with them instead of punishing everyone.

Reactions: toadsage44

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
im interested in knowing how you came to this conclusion
It restricts the amount of dialog choices in open ended RPGs, so stuff like TES or D&D games. Its less of an issue in JRPGs. Tthis isn't just a me thi g, its a common criticism among WRPG players.

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
lol, they'll just accelerate the process of AI on game localization, which is inevitable, these companies will find a way to reduce game budgets and localization through AI is a big part of it, it won't be now, but maybe in the next 5 - 10 years when the technology is perfect, the translation will be seamless, you'll be able to translate a single voice in english to dozens of languages with proper lip sync, there'll be no need for voice actors at all

24 Jun 2022
All of this is going to come to a head and probably contribute towards a crash of the AAA gaming market (aside from Nintendo). I mean, I support the voice actors, but I'm also one of those people who think Hollywood talent (which is where most of these VAs come from) are overpaid for the typical talent provided. You have your standouts of course, and the big names who command big bucks, but most of them could be replaced by other staff on the game and majority of gamers probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

These big AAA devs are going to keep looking for ways to cut dev costs, so if it's not with voice work, it'll be somewhere else. No matter what, they'll always jump to push those costs down to the customer. I just hope all sides involved come to sensible compromises and solutions at the end of the day.

Reactions: Killer_Sakoman

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
Uh OK? You do know the actors aren't working as real doctors, right?
Shocked Friends GIF

Reactions: Hatefield