W for the FTC in Epic case ! Rip Microsoft x Activision

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Epic Games Inc. has agreed to pay $520 million to resolve Federal Trade Commission allegations that the “Fortnite” videogame developer violated online privacy protections for children and tricked players into making unintended purchases.

The FTC said the agreement consisted of two record-breaking settlements that resolve a pair of civil complaints it was filing against Epic. One, filed in federal court, alleged the company violated the federal Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act by collecting personal information from “Fortnite” players under the age of 13 without notifying their parents or obtaining verifiable parental consent.

Epic didn’t admit or deny the FTC’s allegations as part of the settlements.

“No developer creates a game with the intention of ending up here,” Epic said in a statement. “We accepted this agreement because we want Epic to be at the forefront of consumer protection and provide the best experience for our players.”

FTC Chair Lina Khan said protecting the public, especially children, from online privacy invasions and deceptive practices was a top priority. “These enforcement actions make clear to businesses that the FTC is cracking down on these unlawful practices,” she said.

The FTC’s second complaint alleged that Epic deployed a variety of tactics to drive unintended purchases of virtual currency for acquiring perks such as outfits and dance moves in “Fortnite,” including the use of counterintuitive, inconsistent and confusing button configurations. “These tactics led to hundreds of millions of dollars in unauthorized charges for consumers,” it said.

24 Jun 2022
"B-but the FTC has never won a case!!!"

Guess that's not a talking point anymore for certain folks going forward 😂

The cases are not related. Why the click bait?

I guess they're thinking that since this is a "win" of sorts for the FTC in a separate case, it bucks a trend that detractors to their action in the ABK acquisition have been using to try downplaying a chance the deal doesn't go through.

The links are tangentially related at best, but they're there. And it nullifies a certain talking point in a timely manner that might suggest better results for the FTC going forward in terms of winning court cases. Although this settlement w/ Epic was not a court ruling, the fact Epic felt to settle shows that they maybe felt they didn't have a chance of winning if things went through in court.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Though the FTC and Lisa Khan was involved it has little to do with the AKB deal.

mike-zeroh-knights-of-melvin.gif

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
My moneys on the sale going through. Company A wanting to buy Company B who wants to sell to company A….
Just because both parties in the deal agree to it doesn't make the deal kosher. A merger of two of the biggest companies in a given field is NEVER assured, and this one is too big for the health of the industry involved.

24 Jun 2022
My moneys on the sale going through. Company A wanting to buy Company B who wants to sell to company A….

Yeah, most likely the acquisition ends up happening. But I think it's going to come with some notable concessions. I also think the FTC want to drag it out some in order to have new regulatory laws implemented.

Which folks can agree is either a good or bad thing, but I do personally think some new regulatory laws should exist, as long as they make sense. Like say, if Company A buys Company B within a span of X Years at Y Dollars, Company A cannot buy any Company C valued at or higher than Z Dollars for a period of ZZ Years.

Stuff like that. Also I think if there's going to be any concessions, one of them might involve spinning out COD and the teams to manage it into its own corporate entity. Kind of like how the Pokemon Company exists. Meaning Microsoft could still own a portion of i, and have the rights to publishing COD on Xbox platforms, whereas say Sony gets publishing rights to COD on PlayStation platforms and some other company would publish the games on PC. Heck, maybe Nintendo could get publishing rights of COD to their systems.

Other companies would be allowed to buy shares into The COD Company but an outright purchase could never happen unless Microsoft decided to sell their own shares, which I doubt they would ever want to do. But this also would allow them to do things like put COD into GamePass if MS wants; if Sony doesn't want to put COD into PS+ that becomes their own choice but if they change their mind, they technically don't have to go through Microsoft directly to set the licensing terms, it would be set between them and this hypothetical "COD Company".

Considering the amount of money COD generates and the fact they are considering expanding into other media ventures (at least that's what some rumors put it), I don't see why spinning off the COD franchise into its own company (meanwhile MS still keeps Activision and non-COD IPs like Crash, Spyro, Tony Hawk etc.) would a thing MS'd oppose considering their public statements how the deal is mainly for King, especially if MS still retain some ownership in such a COD Company.

Unless they weren't being forthcoming about actual intent expressed publicly. In which case that would make things even harder for them to get the deal done, I'd imagine.

• brain
Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Just because both parties in the deal agree to it doesn't make the deal kosher. A merger of two of the biggest companies in a given field is NEVER assured, and this one is too big for the health of the industry involved.

I totally get that and Im not a fan of guys like Tencent and MS buying so many IP’s and specifically MS’s purchases of huge Publishers.
I just dont think it can be stopped

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Yeah, most likely the acquisition ends up happening. But I think it's going to come with some notable concessions. I also think the FTC want to drag it out some in order to have new regulatory laws implemented.

Which folks can agree is either a good or bad thing, but I do personally think some new regulatory laws should exist, as long as they make sense. Like say, if Company A buys Company B within a span of X Years at Y Dollars, Company A cannot buy any Company C valued at or higher than Z Dollars for a period of ZZ Years.

Stuff like that. Also I think if there's going to be any concessions, one of them might involve spinning out COD and the teams to manage it into its own corporate entity. Kind of like how the Pokemon Company exists. Meaning Microsoft could still own a portion of i, and have the rights to publishing COD on Xbox platforms, whereas say Sony gets publishing rights to COD on PlayStation platforms and some other company would publish the games on PC. Heck, maybe Nintendo could get publishing rights of COD to their systems.

Other companies would be allowed to buy shares into The COD Company but an outright purchase could never happen unless Microsoft decided to sell their own shares, which I doubt they would ever want to do. But this also would allow them to do things like put COD into GamePass if MS wants; if Sony doesn't want to put COD into PS+ that becomes their own choice but if they change their mind, they technically don't have to go through Microsoft directly to set the licensing terms, it would be set between them and this hypothetical "COD Company".

Considering the amount of money COD generates and the fact they are considering expanding into other media ventures (at least that's what some rumors put it), I don't see why spinning off the COD franchise into its own company (meanwhile MS still keeps Activision and non-COD IPs like Crash, Spyro, Tony Hawk etc.) would a thing MS'd oppose considering their public statements how the deal is mainly for King, especially if MS still retain some ownership in such a COD Company.

Unless they weren't being forthcoming about actual intent expressed publicly. In which case that would make things even harder for them to get the deal done, I'd imagine.
I think Microsoft's track record is going to kill this deal. Even without the lies about Bethesda when that deal happened, they have a long history of bad acts that suggest letting them buy the biggest games-only publisher was never going to be allowed.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

Yeah I guess that will be positive if some New regulatory laws pass. I think this should be’s MS’s last publisher purchase for awhile, even though they are planning on more.

Also once this goes through Sony need to do some shopping of their own before all the popular IP’s get bought by everyone else

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I think Microsoft's track record is going to kill this deal. Even without the lies about Bethesda when that deal happened, they have a long history of bad acts that suggest letting them buy the biggest games-only publisher was never going to be allowed.

I hope so. Im more of a glass half empty when it comes to evil corporations that are slowly taking over the world one step at a time lol

OP
OP
shrike0fth0rns

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Lot of shady sht surrounding the deal tho like koticks friends suddenly buying lots of stock just weeks before the deal was announced. Something could come out of left field to derail it.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
It shows that at least they’re willing to make the companies lose a lot of money for the merger to happen