Water is wet moment. Mat Piscatella: "Alan Wake II would have likely benefitted from having a physical release imo"

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Such wisdom from the man who thought just saying "Other Platforms" would sufficiently obfuscate the sales failure of Xbox consoles.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
We have another thread saying less than 10% of Playstation games sold are physical... Assuming this game is going to sell best on PS5, it's going to sell best on PS5 digitally. Maybe the game isn't selling because Epic is a lousy publisher bad at marketing?

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
I don’t think so. It’s gotten critical acclaim mostly because industry people love Remedy and consistently give them the benefit of the doubt. Globally they don’t curry that same favor or even awareness. The original game came out so long ago.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
In terms of sales it would have benefited from Steam. But Remedy probably don't care as Epic are funding.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Sales or profits? I dislike the lack of physical (or false physical code in a box/code on a disc) games but understand the economic argument against them. But still, come on, no physical delux version? Thats money left on the table right there.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Not sure I understand this comment. In what sense would it benefit? Physical sales are typically 20% of the sales total? Sooooo it would have sold a small chunk more copies or what? The way it's worded he makes it sound like it didn't do well because of the lack of physical.

So yeah, it would have "benefitted" slightly, but ... anything outside of the ordinary?

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Not sure I understand this comment. In what sense would it benefit? Physical sales are typically 20% of the sales total? Sooooo it would have sold a small chunk more copies or what? The way it's worded he makes it sound like it didn't do well because of the lack of physical.

So yeah, it would have "benefitted" slightly, but ... anything outside of the ordinary?
No, you have it right. The game would have benefitted by a few dozen extra sales if it was on disc, theoretically.

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022

I bought Control and loved the game a lot. I never even played the first game and I would of bought Alan Wake 2 if there was a physical version. Especially because they’re supposedly in the same universe.

So i’m sure he’s talking about extra sales from physical copies and also marketing: collectors editions, retail marketing itself and so on.

The gaming industry is nowhere near ready for a 100% digital market.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I bought Control and loved the game a lot. I never even played the first game and I would of bought Alan Wake 2 if there was a physical version. Especially because they’re supposedly in the same universe.

So i’m sure he’s talking about extra sales from physical copies and also marketing: collectors editions, retail marketing itself and so on.

The gaming industry is nowhere near ready for a 100% digital market.
But this doesn't go against what I stated above either. Can't really argue with the data. The vast majority of games are sold digitally, so adding physical wouldn't turn a sales clunker into a hit ... correct?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
But this doesn't go against what I stated above either. Can't really argue with the data. The vast majority of games are sold digitally, so adding physical wouldn't turn a sales clunker into a hit ... correct?

That's not entirely correct. Many AAA games still had a big chunk of their sales physical. Wasn't it RE4MAKE that had like close to 50% physical?

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Well yeah, I buy all the big games…but not BG3 nor Alan Wake 2. Will consider if it’s a bargain on psn, but that’s about it.

Reactions: arvfab

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
It's the perfect time for these companies to learn but they wont, will they?

It's always amazing to me how determined some companies, especially in gaming are to deny what consumers want and push in the opposite direction. To try and push things no consumer asked for...

Time to listen. IMO