Wave of Japanese tweeting about new bought Xbox. All biased Propaganda?

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
If Sony and Capcom time it right, Monster Hunter World 2 or Monster Hunter 6 coming out on PS5 only in Japan for the series 20th anniversary in 2024 would do huge numbers! Monster Hunter World in Japan gave the PS4 a huge boost when it came out

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Umar
P

peter42O

Personally, I don't see Sony ever going past 10m in console sales in Japan. For Microsoft, they will only do great if Series S or their XCloud with Game Pass takes off. Nintendo will forever dominate with consoles because they have what those in Japan want the most - mobility which is exactly what the Switch can do.

24 Jun 2022
It being an Xbox exclusive isn't what killed it. The game was pure shit. It's a 51 rated game over 28 reviews on MC so it just seems like Capcom took the money and that was it. Or at least that's how it looks to me. Of course, it's been 20 years. Franchise can easily be resurrected especially with the resurgence of survival horror. Now Microsoft is all in so I don't see them having a first party game this generation score under 70 so if they were to get a deal for Dino Crisis 4, I believe that it would be great.

I know it beinng an Xbox exclusive didn't kill it; it didn't help, but otherwise that's just an incidental factor/coincidence. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea for Microsoft to help reinvigorate the IP in all honesty; although most of the installments have primarily PlayStation legacy, Sony already seem pretty well-served between Resident Evil, Silent Hill projects, partnering on games like Calisto Protocol, and potentially bringing back something like Siren. And I would love if they and Square-Enix could bring back Parasite Eve.

That would probably leave a good opening for Microsoft and Capcom to work with the Dino Crisis IP again. Maybe an actually-good FPS or railgun shooter with the Dino Crisis IP this team made with help from iD Software for example, or a proper follow up to Dino Crisis 1 & 2 bringing what few elements from DC 3 that are actually worth exploring further.

Ff16 will be the start I think and then ff7 rebirth. With stock sorting it self out they should be able to atleast do over 50k a week. But long term who knows, they need to bring more stuff for that market.

FF XVI and FFVII Rebirth are definitely going to help kick that off for PS in Japan.

Maybe Valkyrie Elysium and the new Star Ocean games, too, but both of those have PS4 versions and it seems like in Japan they have no issue with getting the PS4 versions at higher numbers, unlike say the UK where we've seen PS5 versions of games (especially 1P games) completely eclipse the PS4 versions in sales once PS5s were available to buy.

Has to be buying Capcom or Square. Maybe getting Arc System Works too.

ASW would definitely be the easiest of the three to go after. Considering Sony's eSports investment within fighting games via EVO I wonder if they will try getting PS brand appeal nested into multiple fighters this gen via PS-themed virtual apparel, guest bonus characters, etc for those playing on PS and PC platforms.

If Sony and Capcom time it right, Monster Hunter World 2 or Monster Hunter 6 coming out on PS5 only in Japan for the series 20th anniversary in 2024 would do huge numbers! Monster Hunter World in Japan gave the PS4 a huge boost when it came out

That might still be a big "if" atm though. With what seems to be Capcom's strategy now, there is probably not as big a chance Nintendo & Sony get their own exclusive Monster Hunter games this gen, and in Japan that would hurt Sony much more than Microsoft. The other possibility is that the Switch gets its own Monster Hunter and the PS5 & Xbox Series get a different Monster Hunter. In Japan, that still gives Sony a huge boon provided Microsoft don't try something like locking Monster Hunter down to GamePass for that territory (which I doubt they'd be able to do without forking out over $100 million to cover potential loss in Xbox & PS (mostly PS) sales), but it could complicate things for the West.

Considering MS and Certain Affinity are supposedly working on their own Monster Hunter-style game (we'll...see how that goes 😬), that increases the chance that Sony and Capcom could do a PS5-only Monster Hunter game in the near future, maybe with a PC version at a later date, meanwhile Nintendo gets their own Monster Hunter game. For solidifying some big ground in Japan, parts of Asia, and the IP's growing appeal in the West, however, it really aught to be imperative that Sony do what it takes to lock down a new Monster Hunter of their own, even if that means cofunding/codeveloping it.

Personally, I don't see Sony ever going past 10m in console sales in Japan. For Microsoft, they will only do great if Series S or their XCloud with Game Pass takes off. Nintendo will forever dominate with consoles because they have what those in Japan want the most - mobility which is exactly what the Switch can do.

Defining Series S doing "great" in Japan really requires a big asterisks though. Like, the best selling Xbox ever in that territory is the 360 at 1.6 million lifetime. Xbox Series are actually still pacing behind that, and that's already with Series S making up majority of the sales. To put it into perspective, Xbox Series in Japan are currently around 390K lifetime so far (although there's some contention with the Famitsu & Media Create numbers). To just reach 360's numbers, they'd need to sell 200K every year...for the next six years. I just don't see Xbox Series able to maintain its current pace, let alone pick up a faster pace, in Japan at least.

It might be a stretch for PS5 to reach 10 million in Japan this gen, at least not without a few more key exclusives that really appeal to that market and a slimmer model (which the D-Chassis model may suffice for starting next year), but they should be able to reach at least 7 million, considering this generation will probably go until 2028. If Sony play their cards right though they should be able to get between 8 - 10 million in Japan over the course of the generation however. But yeah, overall Nintendo is still gonna dominate that country in terms of hardware and software sales, it would take a serious of massively unfortunate events for them to suddenly end up in 2nd place in Japan.

P

peter42O

I know it beinng an Xbox exclusive didn't kill it; it didn't help, but otherwise that's just an incidental factor/coincidence. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea for Microsoft to help reinvigorate the IP in all honesty; although most of the installments have primarily PlayStation legacy, Sony already seem pretty well-served between Resident Evil, Silent Hill projects, partnering on games like Calisto Protocol, and potentially bringing back something like Siren. And I would love if they and Square-Enix could bring back Parasite Eve.

That would probably leave a good opening for Microsoft and Capcom to work with the Dino Crisis IP again. Maybe an actually-good FPS or railgun shooter with the Dino Crisis IP this team made with help from iD Software for example, or a proper follow up to Dino Crisis 1 & 2 bringing what few elements from DC 3 that are actually worth exploring further.

I would argue that it did help. Less people had to suffer through it. lol

Joking aside, Sony has marketing deals for a bunch of survival horror games which is why I suggested Microsoft actually fund the game which is probably the only way Capcom would bring it back. I never played Parasite Eve (no, im not going to play them, lol) but always heard and read good things about the game and would be nice to see Square Enix resurrect it.

I bring back Dino Crisis as a pure survival horror game in third person similar to the Resident Evil remakes but obviously with Dinosaurs!!! Capcom internally would make the game though. If there was a Microsoft studio to do it, I would go with Mikami and Tango Gameworks. Speaking of which, I don't understand how they're not making The Evil Within 3. SMH. Survival horror is hot, you would think Microsoft would want to capitalize on this. Of course, this part is a conversation for another time. I wouldn't want to see it be a FPS or railgun shooter. No stupid gimmicky stuff. Just a pure third person survival horror game with Dinosaurs! Basically, I would just reboot the franchise and go from there.

Defining Series S doing "great" in Japan really requires a big asterisks though. Like, the best selling Xbox ever in that territory is the 360 at 1.6 million lifetime. Xbox Series are actually still pacing behind that, and that's already with Series S making up majority of the sales. To put it into perspective, Xbox Series in Japan are currently around 390K lifetime so far (although there's some contention with the Famitsu & Media Create numbers). To just reach 360's numbers, they'd need to sell 200K every year...for the next six years. I just don't see Xbox Series able to maintain its current pace, let alone pick up a faster pace, in Japan at least.

It might be a stretch for PS5 to reach 10 million in Japan this gen, at least not without a few more key exclusives that really appeal to that market and a slimmer model (which the D-Chassis model may suffice for starting next year), but they should be able to reach at least 7 million, considering this generation will probably go until 2028. If Sony play their cards right though they should be able to get between 8 - 10 million in Japan over the course of the generation however. But yeah, overall Nintendo is still gonna dominate that country in terms of hardware and software sales, it would take a serious of massively unfortunate events for them to suddenly end up in 2nd place in Japan.

I agree with everything you said. I don't see Xbox doing much with their consoles. In my mind, their wild card is X-Cloud with Game Pass or a TV App. This is where I believe they can get more consumers into their eco-system. But until then, Series S is their best bet.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I never thought Jeff Grubb is this disappointing...
That guy said the same back in 2018 and 2020 about Microsoft. It doesn't matter what may Microsoft want. All the money of the whole world is worthless, if the targeted company doesn't want to sell. Japanese will not sell sell especially to American companies like Microsoft. All big Japanese publisher have their audience on far more popular Japanese brands (competition). Jeff Grubb just wants a win for Microsoft in Japan.
Greg Miller is more credible than this fraud!
This proves one more thing: Microsoft is keep being a shady company!

@Bryank75 @Dabaus @Old Gamer @Yurinka @CloudStrife @ethomaz

• Informative
Reactions: Bryank75

BigMclargeHuge

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
I never thought Jeff Grubb is this disappointing...
That guy said the same back in 2018 and 2020 about Microsoft. It doesn't matter what may Microsoft want. All the money of the whole world is worthless, if the targeted company doesn't want to sell. Japanese will not sell sell especially to American companies like Microsoft. All big Japanese publisher have their audience on far more popular Japanese brands (competition). Jeff Grubb just wants a win for Microsoft in Japan.
Greg Miller is more credible than this fraud!
This proves one more thing: Microsoft is keep being a shady company!

@Bryank75 @Dabaus @Old Gamer @Yurinka @CloudStrife @ethomaz

The acquisition begging never ends.

On another note, man did giantbomb go downhill.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Now you have heard it from a native Japanese.
Microsoft can acquire a shit in Japan.
Genki is following this account.

Even if blocking acqusitions isnt black letter law of japan, look at how the CMA is treating this activision blizzard deal, and thats a territory where Microsoft does well in. What happens if both nintendo and sony raise a stink, japan regulators are going to just let that slide? Anythings possible thats why sony need to hurry up and put a ring onsome of these companies just in case.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Even if blocking acqusitions isnt black letter law of japan, look at how the CMA is treating this activision blizzard deal, and thats a territory where Microsoft does well in. What happens if both nintendo and sony raise a stink, japan regulators are going to just let that slide? Anythings possible thats why sony need to hurry up and put a ring onsome of these companies just in case.
Absolutely. So that’s why I speculate Sony to do in late Fall (November 2022) a major move with announcing the acquisition of a partner (Square Enix).

Don’t forget the words of the their strategy meeting in Tokyo in May 26th 2022:

Quote from Sony executive:

Strategy meeting

"We have to join hands with a partner"

May 26 PlayStation Briefing Session Tokyo

Ryan added: “As we transition from our historic game development strategy to a much broader and much wider market reach than we enjoy today, it is very likely that inorganic stimulus will be required to help us to realise these dreams.

“And to the extent that potential targets fit with our strategy, to the extent that potential targets allow us to accelerate the way in which we are able to deliver on our strategy, we will certainly consider farther M&A activity to add to our business portfolio.”

Potential targets fit with our strategy, to the extent that potential targets allow us to accelerate the way in which we are able to deliver on our strategy"

This obviously a Hint to Sony x Square Enix merger. All this words are official statements from Sony Playstation - strategy Briefing in Tokyo. 26th May 2022.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Absolutely. So that’s why I speculate Sony to do in late Fall (November 2022) a major move with announcing the acquisition of a partner (Square Enix).

Don’t forget the words of the their strategy meeting in Tokyo in May 26th 2022:

Quote from Sony executive:

Strategy meeting

"We have to join hands with a partner"

May 26 PlayStation Briefing Session Tokyo

Ryan added: “As we transition from our historic game development strategy to a much broader and much wider market reach than we enjoy today, it is very likely that inorganic stimulus will be required to help us to realise these dreams.

“And to the extent that potential targets fit with our strategy, to the extent that potential targets allow us to accelerate the way in which we are able to deliver on our strategy, we will certainly consider farther M&A activity to add to our business portfolio.”

Potential targets fit with our strategy, to the extent that potential targets allow us to accelerate the way in which we are able to deliver on our strategy"

This obviously a Hint to Sony x Square Enix merger. All this words are official statements from Sony Playstation - strategy Briefing in Tokyo. 26th May 2022.
We'll see. I hope your right man. With that said it seems so brazen and bold that while under investigation, Microsoft and their lackeys are bragging about making/looking for more acquisitions. Is this some sort of american corporation hubris?

P

peter42O

Sony can have Square Enix.....Microsoft can go get Capcom baby!!! Woohoo!!! Give me more acquisitions baby!!! Oh man!!! Can't wait!!! 😂

• fire
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Sony can have Square Enix.....Microsoft can go get Capcom baby!!! Woohoo!!! Give me more acquisitions baby!!! Oh man!!! Can't wait!!! 😂
Put your hopeless dream to rest Xbot. Capcom is family owned and they don’t intend to sell. Also Capcom is very close with Nintendo and Sony. Japanese companies don‘t want to be enslaved by an American scumbag company like Microsoft is.

P

peter42O

Put your hopeless dream to rest Xbot. Capcom is family owned and they don’t intend to sell. Also Capcom is very close with Nintendo and Sony. Japanese companies don‘t want to be enslaved by an American scumbag company like Microsoft is.

Hahahahaha. Nah man, I will keep my dreams alive!!! Hehehe.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The acquisition begging never ends.

On another note, man did giantbomb go downhill.

Thats what happens when you take a stance and go woke. WHich they did politically. If you want to be this haven for unbiased opinions on the gaming sphere dont bring any kind of politics into you're site. They took a hard stance on things, and thats why a lot of people on some of their youtube videos that disagree get deleted or banned.

Go watch the last state of play reaction they did, literally skipped over Hogwarts and said as much that they have no interest in talking about that game.

That should give you an idea of where they are.

I'm pretty sure BRad, Vinnie, and Alex were not about that and thats why they bounced. Jeff bounced because he would rather talk about more interesting things that whatever game is popular that week.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Thats what happens when you take a stance and go woke. WHich they did politically. If you want to be this haven for unbiased opinions on the gaming sphere dont bring any kind of politics into you're site. They took a hard stance on things, and thats why a lot of people on some of their youtube videos that disagree get deleted or banned.

Go watch the last state of play reaction they did, literally skipped over Hogwarts and said as much that they have no interest in talking about that game.

That should give you an idea of where they are.

I'm pretty sure BRad, Vinnie, and Alex were not about that and thats why they bounced. Jeff bounced because he would rather talk about more interesting things that whatever game is popular that week.
Really? lol. Like children imitating the latest trend