We need to talk about PS5's 2024 / 2025 problem - @MysticRyan

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Playstation will continue to make first party games like they always have, and with slightly greater sales and profitability, given the growing PS5 install base, as well as the fact that those games will make their way to PC. But that growth will be incremental in nature. The live service games will take Playstation to another level.

We will have to see as it develops, each game is a new unknown that can hit or miss. Gaming is unpredictable and I prefer businesses to carve their own path than follow trends....that's why I have a fundamental issue with the big GAAS push of PlayStation.

But if it's successful I won't begrudge them. I might even enjoy some of them.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
We will have to see as it develops, each game is a new unknown that can hit or miss. Gaming is unpredictable and I prefer businesses to carve their own path than follow trends....that's why I have a fundamental issue with the big GAAS push of PlayStation.

But if it's successful I won't begrudge them. I might even enjoy some of them.
The anti-GAAS freakout are so tiresome, as they require a reductionist mindset that all live service games take the same approach, and that all of them are exploitative and offer nothing in terms of gameplay, while also overlooking that there have been games in the past that would now be considered GAAS and nobody minded due to how they were handled.

It is just infantile, constant "WAAAAAAAAH! GAAS IS EEEEEEEEEVIL!" screeching with no thought or discrimination applied to it.

Then again, we also see zealots who fling feces at the concept of DLC and act like it's a recent development when paid expansions have been a thing going all the way back to the early 1980s.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Playstation's 2024 problem is that their main competitor is leaving the console market, and they decided it's a good idea to port their shit for PC and fuck their pipeline so much that they don't have anything PS Studios (not publishing, actual studios) that's coming out other than shitty live service games.

So while Xbox commits suicide and Sony has a golden opportunity to be the only key player in the home console market, they decide to fuck it up.
To add on to that PC/Steam is only getting larger globally and setting new concurrent records, and Nintendo's 6 year old Switch which is still having best selling months is coming out with a sequel in 2024 which could possibly cannibalize PS5's sales.

Sony's response is to show exactly 0 gameplay footage of their first party studio games for about 3 years, with only cancellation and closure announcements in between.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
To add on to that PC/Steam is only getting larger globally and setting new concurrent records, and Nintendo's 6 year old Switch which is still having best selling months is coming out with a sequel in 2024 which could possibly cannibalize PS5's sales.

Sony's response is to show exactly 0 gameplay footage of their first party studio games for about 3 years, with only cancellation and closure announcements in between.
Switch never has nor will it canabalize ps5 sales, different gaming demographics. Again and I've shown data in other thread most Switch owners actually own a PlayStation console. Switch users are a diff breed. They either just want a switch no matter who else comes out with a console to play their Mario or Pokémon or they have switch as complimentary to PlayStation (like me) . They usually do not forgo one for another.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
The anti-GAAS freakout are so tiresome, as they require a reductionist mindset that all live service games take the same approach, and that all of them are exploitative and offer nothing in terms of gameplay, while also overlooking that there have been games in the past that would now be considered GAAS and nobody minded due to how they were handled.

It is just infantile, constant "WAAAAAAAAH! GAAS IS EEEEEEEEEVIL!" screeching with no thought or discrimination applied to it.

Then again, we also see zealots who fling feces at the concept of DLC and act like it's a recent development when paid expansions have been a thing going all the way back to the early 1980s.

Well absolutely, I love GT7 and I'm guessing most people consider it GAAS in its current format.

I'll also be there for Helldivers 2 on day 1.

Destiny 2 was my game for many many years.... All the way back to D1 beta actually and I'm excited for Marathon.

But then.... Things like Suicide Squad.... Nah.

It all depends on the overall context, quality / execution etc.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Switch never has nor will it canabalize ps5 sales, different gaming demographics. Again and I've shown data in other thread most Switch owners actually own a PlayStation console. Switch users are a diff breed. They either just want a switch no matter who else comes out with a console to play their Mario or Pokémon or they have switch as complimentary to PlayStation (like me) . They usually do not forgo one for another.

a sequel in 2024 which could possibly cannibalize PS5's sales.
Never said the first switch was the one cannibalizing sales, but a more powerful switch 2 with DLSS that can get more third party ports can definitely encroach on PS5 when combined with PC.

• haha

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Never said the first switch was the one cannibalizing sales, but a more powerful switch 2 with DLSS that can get more third party ports can definitely encroach on PS5 when combined with PC.
The only thing the next Nintendo system will be more powerful than is the Switch. Nintendo is NEVER going to cannibalize Sony's user base, and it is a ludicrous fantasy held only by fanboys who are willfully blind to how Nintendo does things to think they could, would or even want to do so.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Thats why PlayStation has a massive platform where they don't depend on just first party game sales. It has worked and will work forever if they focus on selling consoles over being a publisher.
There's Sony produced shit that isn't on PS+ BC collection, right? There's different things they can easily do to better serve their PS customers and make the box/services more attractive to peeps whom would have to come to PS if they'd knock the PC shit on the head.

• haha

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I'm impatient but I won't really start to worry until the showcase they normally have in June, if nothing shows up there then I'm going to start panicking a little. Last year's showcase was bad enough, but at least we still had first party games coming in SM2

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I don't think it will. People are buying switches for a diff reason than they buy a PS5 and that won't change with Switch 2. But hey it's all conjecture at this point.

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Sony anounce games too early pony cries. Sony doesn't anounce shit too early ponies still cry. Can we wait till "check notes " rise of ronin is out?

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Wii u had 3rd party support. No indication of people buying switch for 3rd party games

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
It's the portability aspect for... Get this... Real Games.
That's why Switch is popular, not just Nintendo IP doing some of the heavy lifting. They want their games, progress, friends etc... Not only when chained to the TV.

Now imagine that with better tech spec, better 3rd party, and a Steam Deck with a Sony logo on it.

Sony would absolutely have cleaned up with a portable PS4/5 rather than a feature-lacking screen controller.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It's the portability aspect for... Get this... Real Games.
That's why Switch is popular, not just Nintendo IP doing some of the heavy lifting. They want their games, progress, friends etc... Not only when chained to the TV.

Now imagine that with better tech spec, better 3rd party, and a Steam Deck with a Sony logo on it.

Sony would absolutely have cleaned up with a portable PS4/5 rather than a feature-lacking screen controller.
they're already cleaning up with the "feature-lacking screen controller" - you can't buy one anywhere bc it keeps selling out

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
they're already cleaning up with the "feature-lacking screen controller" - you can't buy one anywhere bc it keeps selling out
Its the first time, including Vita, that the portable has all the needed buttons for ports/remote play which the home console expects to be present.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I had to put a damn restock app and fir weeks when I got notifications thy were gone in seconds. I luckily got one after a notification at 2am in the dm morning!

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
If Sony do open up the cloud streaming service it'll take much of the venom I have towards PS Portal out. It's not that I hate the Portal itself or think it's a bad product for what it does, I just think it's not as good as it could be, physically and service-support wise.

I do still think there's a lost generation of portability there, when Vita wasn't fully realised, in favor of gimmick-ass rear touchpad, and half-assed product misfires afterwards.

I do think a fully-buttoned Vita shaped PS handheld with local storage/streaming/not fully remote play dependent (all things the Vita had), would have been a better product to bring to market over Portal. It just needs to not have it's own game library/OS, it needs to plug into PS backend. PS4 OS? A cut-down/customised version of PS5 OS like PS3 XBM over PSNow/PS+?

• haha

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
If Sony do open up the cloud streaming service it'll take much of the venom I have towards PS Portal out. It's not that I hate the Portal itself or think it's a bad product for what it does, I just think it's not as good as it could be, physically and service-support wise.

I do still think there's a lost generation of portability there, when Vita wasn't fully realised, in favor of gimmick-ass rear touchpad, and half-assed product misfires afterwards.

I do think a fully-buttoned Vita shaped PS handheld with local storage/streaming/not fully remote play dependent (all things the Vita had), would have been a better product to bring to market over Portal. It just needs to not have it's own game library/OS, it needs to plug into PS backend. PS4 OS? A cut-down/customised version of PS5 OS like PS3 XBM over PSNow/PS+?
Such an idiotic idea.

The thing people like you don’t seem to grasp is the research and development costs and materials costs, as well as testing and support for a whole new system is a fuckload of money, for something that will not sell in large enough numbers to justify it.

Does nobody whining about the Portal not being a standalone device realize that the Vita was a money-loser for Sony?

The Portal is the smartest thing they could have made. Remote Play is a more robust and functional system than anyone who hasn’t tried it realizes, and by this point everyone should be aware that no Sony system since the PS2 has gone it’s lifespan without added features so streaming not being available day one only means it isn't available today, not that it wont ever be available.

if you want something that does more tham Portal and also does Remote Play, STFU and buy a Loki or a G Cloud already.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
There's no new software system r&d? Lop off as many PS4/PS5 OS features as wanted, such as in the faux PS3 dashboard in PSNow/PS+ streaming, but present the device to PSN as just another PS4/5 SKU. SKU. They also share UI's across TV's and consoles, they could make it work.

There's almost no effort involved in launching the thing, Switch sales and if not sales, then the burgeoning ecosystem of PC handhelds scene, should say people want portable access to games they own, natively. Not only stream/remote play access to. The library and future support is already accounted for in that it'll be PS4/5 level. Quibble over cross gen if we must, I only say PS4 portable because I assume one could be made vs a native digital PS5 portable.

Portal seems OK for what it is, I guess, but ffs it's less of a product than Hyperkin's new SEGA Nomad knockoff, that thing at least takes the physical carts rather than streaming only.

Wraith Phantom

22 Jun 2022
These YouTubers are getting annoying. Put out better content than waiting on announcements. Its lazy ,lazy work.Their channels live of BS hype & drama. Put out better content than just talk about annoucements.

We all know games take 4-6 years to be made. So why would a chef show you uncooked food?? Even if they did a CGI trailer you will still wait a year or more for actual gameplay footage. Announcing titles does nothing for anyone. Its a lot of lazy youtubers talking about nothing. Putting out poor content. Its not pandemic anymore do better with gaming content than just talking.

Dudes asking for roadmaps at January. Who the hell are you? They gave us a list of games for q1,q2 and people still asking about games later down the road ,Many have not even played the games comingnout in the next two months.Just STFU we know they are developing games. Just wait till they are ready. Nobody bought their PS5 just for first party ganes .When 3rd party outnumber PS studios by far. Expecting games out frequently dont even add up on basic maths. This aint the thing to be complaining about considering PS track record on game releases. This aint the complaint to have this paywalls to play online whilst PC is free is a complaint. Game gifting not being do able , etc,etc . Not games we know are getting made.

This why I don't listen to most Youtuber content. They spend more time just talking about goofy console war takes. Instead of deep dive on games,streaming gameplay, playing competitive matches with their subscribers. Stop falling for goofy console war takes.You cant change anything the games are not ready. You don't announce shit that's not ready.

Reactions: Gamernyc78