We need to talk about PS5's 2024 / 2025 problem - @MysticRyan

D

Deleted member 223

And to think I had the perfect snarky comment for the whole thread....🙏

Trouble in paradise.

I think as always everything is a bit in the middle but I'm not gonna act like I'm not a brawler when my opinions are on the burner.

Factions getting dropped leaves a hole in the line up and something better fill that up for the Fall. Rebirth ain't that, not for me anyway. A lot will be riding on some of those GaaS titles that were teased like Concord and Fairwhatever, cause I don't think Venom is making it this year...although I could be wrong. Even then it's a smaller title, despite how much I love the Carnage plot. Big picture tho... def in the middle.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Shake
Reactions: Bryank75

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
You don't seem able to understand the diference between Sony published games and third-party games Sony just pays for exclusivity and you keep mixing up things.
Sony is the publisher of Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade, Sony is not the publisher of FFXVI or FFVII:Rebirth.

Sony studios with the exception of Insomniac have been extremely unproductive this gen, you can either be in denial about that or face reality. PlayStation fanboys assume that Sony is infallible and no matter what happens everything is perfect and going according to plan.

Xbox sucking is not an excuse for PlayStation to do the same and Xbots being idiots that will excuse anything isn't justification for PlayStation fans to act the same.

"They are working on the games" as opposed to what? Not working on games? Every studio is doing that, that doesn't mean things are always going smoothly. This is looking like the worst stretch of internal releases ever since PlayStation became a big publisher, for no reason other than bad decisions made by PlayStation leadership.
Blatantly true statement. We're in the 4th year of PS5, and none of the prestige teams from the PS4 era have released announced a PS5 exclusive. And they're gonna ask us to buy a PS5 Pro this fall.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
The very l ast they could do is do rereveals for the shooter games like concord and Marathon with gameplay and something a bit more impactful than a wobbly burger.

Then if they have one or two really impressive single player games to reveal, I'd be happy enough.

The cherry on top would be all pc ports cancelled.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
The very l ast they could do is do rereveals for the shooter games like concord and Marathon with gameplay and something a bit more impactful than a wobbly burger.

Then if they have one or two really impressive single player games to reveal, I'd be happy enough.

The cherry on top would be all pc ports cancelled.
You think Concord or Marathon can even exist without PC ports? Get real pal.

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
I wanna see sony experiment with day 1 pc releases for their blockbuster titles. Especially now that Xbox is thinking about moving all their games to rival platformns.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I wanna see sony experiment with day 1 pc releases for their blockbuster titles. Especially now that Xbox is thinking about moving all their games to rival platformns.
Definitely don't want to see that for many reasons but mainly because I want Sony devs to focus initially on getting the most out of the PS5 hardware and not worrying about developing for console and PC at the same time.

D

Deleted member 223

recognise the economics of game development, which are not always straightforward
The economics of game development say Steam disappears from the industry tomorrow and there is still going to be a Concord, and Fairwhatever, and it will sell best on PlayStation. And Epic, of Fornite fame will continue to pay Sony for crossplay so other platforms like PC and Xbox can feel the "brotherhood" cause the biggest platform for premium gaming is still PlayStation hardware, with the biggest pie, not PC. And that goes for all the other cross platform GaaS. The industry can exist without the PC market. Matter of fact it did for the longest time when consoles reigned supreme and PC was more or less irrelevant for premium gaming. The industry can not exist without consoles - the casual, mass market link.

Obviously that is a trolling talking point you've been riding for a while to bug people with and you're tolerated by the mod staff for certain reasons but that doesn't stop reality from hitting

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Umar

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Remaster of a 3 year old game
Niche title
GaaS
The only one on the list that can potentially push consoles
AA that, as of last showing, looks rough around the edges.

They definitely have a problem. If the GaaS reversal is true, it'll take a while to get everything back on track. This has been Sony's biggest misfire in over a decade.
It's a fucking joke is what it is. All that BS talk and dick to show for it. Many of us didn't even want some MMO style TLOU with repetitive story based raids/dailys, we just wanted Factions 1 to get a spit polish, maybe s few new levels and modes? At some point over the last 10 years.

My 90 year old Grandma is with it enough to see Survivor mode of Factions as "prototype Battle Royale".

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Definitely don't want to see that for many reasons but mainly because I want Sony devs to focus initially on getting the most out of the PS5 hardware and not worrying about developing for console and PC at the same time.
developing for ps5 is developing for pc at the same time. they have the same architecture. publishing a true ps5 exclusive is cutting off your own arm. might be the reason so few sony teams have done it.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
It's a fucking joke is what it is. All that BS talk and dick to show for it. Many of us didn't even want some MMO style TLOU with repetitive story based raids/dailys, we just wanted Factions 1 to get a spit polish, maybe s few new levels and modes? At some point over the last 10 years.

My 90 year old Grandma is with it enough to see Survivor mode of Factions as "prototype Battle Royale".
Survivor mode indeed was just tht.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
developing for ps5 is developing for pc at the same time. they have the same architecture. publishing a true ps5 exclusive is cutting off your own arm. might be the reason so few sony teams have done it.
Nah plenty of devs have complained in the past on having to focus on multiple hardware itineraries and how it affects them, PC included regardless if they are using same architecture. PS5 is static and PC is not so there is extra stuff they need to account for that makes it more arduous and difficult for them.

We agree to disagree.

And I quote...

There are some fundamental differences, and we'll look at those now. When designing for a console, you are working with finite hardware capabilities and concrete specs. Sure, this is more limiting than the PC's adjustable capabilities. But it also makes it easier for the designers (you)

Also diff source...

Though they follow similar processes, console and PC game development have many distinct differences. Rather than one platform being necessarily more challenging to develop games for than the other, each has unique intricacies that can become obstacles for unprepared development teams

Last edited:

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
You don't seem to understand that all of these games are exclusive bangers coming only to PS5, but you still want to act like it's dry.

Reality:
Release schedule of Sony 1st party games this gen

Insomniac - Miles Morales November 2020
Bluepoint - Demon's Souls November 2020
Housemarque - Returnal April 2021
Insomniac - Rift Apart June 2021
Guerilla - Horizon Forbidden West February 2022
Polyphony - Gran Turismo 7 March 2022
Santa Monica - GoW Ragnarok November 2022
Firesprite - Horizon Call of the Mountain February 2023
Insomniac - Spider-Man 2 October 2023

9 1st party exclusives in the first 3 years, many of them goty contenders, is what you call "extremely unproductive"?!? 😂🤣 The PS3 and PS4 gen must've been terrible for you!

Still desperately trying to equate PlayStation to Xbox....the company with not a single GOTY contender, and not a single 3rd party exclusive on the level of FF7 Rebirth, FF16, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade, Silent Hill 2 Remake, Kena Bridge of Spirits, etc.

Bro you're just yapping, I'm all for holding Sony accountable when it calls for it, but your argument has no basis in reality.
you also forgot to add MLB, which are 3 games. also, you forgot to add whole library of 2020, even if you ignore PS4 2020, we got Remastered versions, so you must have added those, like Ghost of Tsushima, Last of Us duology, Death Stranding etc..

we also got Sackboy and Astro Bot plus 4 big DLCs : Iki Island,Legends plus Horizon DLC and GoWR DLC.

Reactions: GrayWolf323

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Potential finances wise, sure. (not really, hello piracy, and seeing how much less they sell on PC vs PS).

But serving the customer base? Stupidest move they can do. Directly helping Valve, whom are a present/future competitor, and indire try helping MS, PC sku also goes to Windows.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023

Famitsu interviewed Ryan about day 1 PC ports. He didn't give the answer Playstation haters say: that it undermines Playstation consoles, that it detracts from revenue from the PS Store, that it complicates development, etc. No. He only gave one reason: the feelings of Playstation fans:

Jim Ryan said:
We are increasing the number of PS5 exclusive games, and staggering the release of the PC versions. I often have the opportunity to ask game fans for their opinions, and when I ask them how they feel about the time lag, they often say they feel the release of a PC version two or three years after the release of the PlayStation version is acceptable.

How long do you, a CEO put people's feelings over hundreds of millions in free revenue?

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Famitsu interviewed Ryan about day 1 PC ports. He didn't give the answer Playstation haters say: that it undermines Playstation consoles, that it detracts from revenue from the PS Store, that it complicates development, etc. No. He only gave one reason: the feelings of Playstation fans:

How long do you, a CEO put people's feelings over hundreds of millions in free revenue?
How many steam-only gamers, given no other choice, would buy a PS, a game, and potentially other PS exclusive games now they already own the console to play the game they wanted?

It's a stupid fucking move, any way you slice it.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Thats why PlayStation has a massive platform where they don't depend on just first party game sales. It has worked and will work forever if they focus on selling consoles over being a publisher.
Playstation will continue to make first party games like they always have, and with slightly greater sales and profitability, given the growing PS5 install base, as well as the fact that those games will make their way to PC. But that growth will be incremental in nature. The live service games will take Playstation to another level.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Thats why PlayStation has a massive platform where they don't depend on just first party game sales. It has worked and will work forever if they focus on selling consoles over being a publisher.
I think people just have trouble comprehending that Sony has NEVER put the focus on first-party games over third-party games. Literally every other console maker since the NES has made their hardware to sell their own software, while Sony has always taken the approach of building a platform for others to sell games on while they take a cut and release some of their own games to fill niches or add something interesting to the lineup.

• fire
Reactions: Bryank75