We'll hear "much more" about The Last of Us multiplayer spin-off this year

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
To be honest they need to take as long as possible on this title because they have basically one shot to get it right. They've seen how many GaaS games have flopped right out of the gate or within 3-6 months. They need to make sure the pipeline and roadmap is completely solid and enough stuff to probably cover at least the first year of dlc/seasonal content. Also they need to launch AS POLISHED AS POSSIBLE, if they launch day one on PC like I know they will, any fucking stuttering in the game and you'll instantly lose half your day 1 sales and at least 20% of your steam ratings.
Their GaaS MLB and GT7 performed very well and like this game aren't announced for PC. TLOU1 and TLOU2 are 20M+ sellers, they also have the popularity push of the TV show, Factions 1 was played during many years and this is the biggest ND project ever.

Don't expect this game to be released day one on PC day one. And don't expect it to see it released unpolished (ND always releases polished games) or being dead in 3-6 months.

Missing important milestones along the way, poor communication (look at our concept art!).
They don't have poor communication and didn't miss any milestone. They simply confirmed to be working on this project, revealed that veterans from TLOU and Uncharted are directing it showing the artwork and mentioned that they'll show more about this game this year. They'd miss a milestone if don't announce it this year.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Their GaaS MLB and GT7 performed very well and like this game aren't announced for PC. TLOU1 and TLOU2 are 20M+ sellers, they also have the popularity push of the TV show, Factions 1 was played during many years and this is the biggest ND project ever.

Don't expect this game to be released day one on PC day one. And don't expect it to see it released unpolished (ND always releases polished games) or being dead in 3-6 months.

They don't have poor communication and didn't miss any milestone. They simply confirmed to be working on this project, revealed that veterans from TLOU and Uncharted are directing it showing the artwork and mentioned that they'll show more about this game this year. They'd miss a milestone if don't announce it this year.
Gt7 is a full priced racing game and mlb is a sports game, you can't compare that to a gaas shooter game when that market segment is stuffed to the gills and you have to compete with free to plays like fortnite and pubg.

If they try to do this on the backs of $70 sales on ps4+ps5 alone it's going to flop extremely hard.

Reactions: Remember_Spinal
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Also drumrolllll please....

Ppl act like ND mp games arent well recieved or havent made them money on mtx. Just a few months ago I went back to uc4 mp and played for a few months with full lobbies. Plus thy made bank on mtx for the MP...

They are taking their time planning everything out because this is going to be big big. I'm anxious too but I understand why thy are not ready yet.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Gt7 is a full priced racing game and mlb is a sports game, you can't compare that to a gaas shooter game when that market segment is stuffed to the gills and you have to compete with free to plays like fortnite and pubg.

If they try to do this on the backs of $70 sales on ps4+ps5 alone it's going to flop extremely hard.
Yes, I compare GT7, a full priced AAA GaaS title, to MLB, a full priced AAA GaaS title, to MP shooters that are full priced AAA GaaS titles like CoD, Rainbow Six and so on.

This is going to be the biggest Naughty Dog game, so will be a full priced AAA GaaS title. They won't give away for free their most expensive game ever. And both TLOU games are 20M+ sellers material, this isn't to flop extremely hard at all. Even selling half of that (+ related DLC/IAP/passes) would be a big success.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Yes, I compare GT7, a full priced AAA GaaS title, to MLB, a full priced AAA GaaS title, to MP shooters that are full priced AAA GaaS titles like CoD, Rainbow Six and so on.

This is going to be the biggest Naughty Dog game, so will be a full priced AAA GaaS title. They won't give away for free their most expensive game ever. And the TLOU games sold over 20M each, this isn't to flop extremely hard. Even to sell half of that would be a big success.
There is only one MLB game on the market because of licensing. GT7 is also the only real simcade on ps5. How many copies did GT7 sell btw?

Now compare that to how many shooters there are on the market. You only need to looks to TLoU part 1 sales to know that no, not every franchise can sell gangbusters based on name recognition. If they want factions 2 to sell 2-3 million copies and call that a success... well, ok. But imo they want it to be bigger than that.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Also drumrolllll please....

Ppl act like ND mp games arent well recieved or havent made them money on mtx. Just a few months ago I went back to uc4 mp and played for a few months with full lobbies. Plus thy made bank on mtx for the MP...

They are taking their time planning everything out because this is going to be big big. I'm anxious too but I understand why thy are not ready yet.

You and I must be doing it wrong.

Apparently the way to wait for a game from a developer that makes great games is to be a nervous wreck, shitting yourself because, OMG, WHAT IF IT ISN'T GOOD!?!?!?

All this chicken little bullshit from so many people about so many things that just simply are NOT reasons for CONCERN gets tiresome as fuck.

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
How many copies did GT7 sell btw?
Based on the sales figures that were released during the 25th anniversary of the Gran Turismo series, it is estimated that the game has sold 5–6 millions as of November 16, 2022.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
There is only one MLB game on the market because of licensing.
Yes.

GT7 is also the only real simcade on ps5. How many copies did GT7 sell btw?
We don't know it, but we know it's the fastest selling game in the GT series.

Now compare that to how many shooters there are on the market. You only need to looks to TLoU part 1 sales to know that no, not every franchise can sell gangbusters based on name recognition. If they want factions 2 to sell 2-3 million copies and call that a success... well, ok. But imo they want it to be bigger than that.
That comparision doesn't make any sense. The shooter market is way bigger than the baseball games market and the racing games market. This game will sell 2-3 million pretty likely the first month, maybe even in the first week/weekend, but will continue selling during years.

TLOU2 sold over 4 million copies on its debut weekend.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
This... "year"? It's only fucking March now!

This sonofabitch MP has missed: being separated into its own MP game like Infamous First Light and several others. Then this actual MP sequel game has missed: TLOU days, TLOU2 launch, PS5 launch, TLOU PS5 Remake launch, RV show start, TV show season 1 end.

What are they doing over there, sniffing their fingers after dropping anchor in poo bay? Can we just please get this game out ffs?

Wait: June to hear about it... Does that mean it'll actually release this year still?
I can't beliece they didn't click their fingers and have it instantly ready

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Missing important milestones along the way, poor communication (look at our concept art!). And wtf they still gotta build? They have the gameplay engine from TLOU1 or 2, and they have pvp setup from Factions 1. They had rudimentary infected vs cpu enemy logic since 2013's Left Behind DLC had them attack the David's group/hunters in the shopping mall.

A game like Scavengers - pvp with roaming infected on the map as I understand it - should have been a game play mode within Factions. "oh shit, the other team let the bloater out, we're fucked". Just like if you threw an encroaching ring of spores around Survivor game mode, in my eyes you're 80% of the way to your own Battle Royal mode, with some updating/tweaking. We're talking 2013-ish, before GAAS took hold fully. Sony should have been at the forefront of both BR/GAAS. And everything like TLOU TV show now should have been realised like 5 years earlier.

Ffs I wish there was a go between device between phone touchscreen and laptop for real typing/easy post formatting out in the world. Gonna have to get my old Surface Pro out I think sometimes, but use on my lap on the bus? Eh....
Damn I didn't know game development was so easy

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I have a hard time believing ND would be happy with that level of sales. I think they want to try to be the grounded version of Destiny. Otherwise they would have just done an added mp mode to tlou2 and called it a day. Destiny has 40+mil people btw.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I have a hard time believing ND would be happy with that level of sales. I think they want to try to be the grounded version of Destiny. Otherwise they would have just done an added mp mode to tlou2 and called it a day. Destiny has 40+mil people btw.
Are you serious about the sales? It broke records from past GT games and is passing 7 mil as of Nov 2022 they haven't even counted extra sales from tht point and I bet a sales bump from psvr2 dropping (that's when I bought my copy). Nahhh hard disagree with this one, it'll sell 10 mil plus and thyll be happy. Destiny 2 is on multiple consoles and pc and is ftp at this point.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
Want to hear about a beta date
I don't want to hear about your lovelife
Proud The Karate Kid GIF

• angry
Reactions: Remember_Spinal

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Are you serious about the sales? It broke records from past GT games and is passing 7 mil as of move 2022 they haven't even counted extra sales from tht point and I bet a sales bump from psvr2 dropping (that's when I bought my copy). Nahhh hard disagree with this one, it'll sell 10 mil plus and thyll be happy. Destiny 2 is on multiple consoles and pc and is ftp at this point.
Yeah. I'm serious. There's a reason Sony's strategy now includes PC. They want their games to sell to more people. Jim Ryan himself said his goal is to have hundreds of millions of players have access to the games. GT7 by no means sold bad, but imo the live service future Sony wants is more than that. Much more. They want their own Warzone. They want their own Fortnite.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Yeah. I'm serious. There's a reason Sony's strategy now includes PC. They want their games to sell to more people. Jim Ryan himself said his goal is to have hundreds of millions of players have access to the games. GT7 by no means sold bad, but imo the live service future Sony wants is more than that. Much more. They want their own Warzone. They want their own Fortnite.
Of course thy want more than that, all businesses do. That goes without saying. We went from Polyphony to ND with both having different sales numbers. ND will not sell less than 10 mil no matter what. If it's cross gen forget it thyll reach that easily and so much more. Uc4 sold more than 15 mil and had 37 million players. TLOU over 20 mil. The point of this gaas is obviously to reach these numbers and more in perpetuity. Different model than their previous games and this will have longer legs.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I dont want to hear more. Show more and release it in 2023. I dont think Ive ever seen Playstation have no dates for their next game and know so little about what they are doing. We normally know so much more.

Get these smaller PC porting teams to help faster releases instead of porting…

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
If they don't give info or release in FY2023 then I will consider it dead.

Probably wont be dead. But its pretty dissapointing we have to wait till 2024 for more 1st party games.
Its a real slow generation for sure

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I’m not sure what the argument is, Factions or “The Last of Us Multiplayer” is the first major first party push from sony into the GAAS initiative they are rolling out, theres not even any real question about that.

Gran Turismo and MLB might be games as a service but they have come out every generation/year and use a completely different distribution model. Last of Us as a stand alone game is a major sony IP, with an incredibly huge budget being poured into it. They have to make sure it not only launches in a satisfactory state but that it doesn’t get the push back something like suicide squad or halo infinite got.

Then on top of that, they have to have a good content pipeline mapped out. Nothing kills a multiplayer game faster than a lack of post launch content.

People need to be patient, these things aren’t easy to make, I’m glad sony is taking their time on these games and making sure they are as high quality as their single player games cause thats going to be the difference maker between all these other GAAS that are flopping and a sony first party multiplayer game.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I’m not sure what the argument is, Factions or “The Last of Us Multiplayer” is the first major first party push from sony into the GAAS initiative they are rolling out, theres not even any real question about that.
Games like Dreams, PlayStation All Stars, MLB 21, MLB 22, MLB 23, GT7 and Destiny 2 are GaaS, like it or not. And they had more in the past like LBP or PS Home. This one won't be their first major GaaS, and won't even be the first of their 'over 10' franchises that would get a GaaS in the recent years.

but imo the live service future Sony wants is more than that. Much more. They want their own Warzone. They want their own Fortnite.
I agree, and I think this is why they bought Bungie and signed 2nd party games with Deviation, Firewalk or (who they also bought) Haven: they want to have their own CoD/Destiny/Fortnite/PUBG/Apex Legends/GTA Online.

Regarding some traditional studios like ND or Polyphony also making GaaS, I think it's only to increase their revenue to compensate the higher budgets they'll have this generation.

Last edited: