What Are Sony First Parties Even Doing?

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Why does it seem like Insomniac is the only one still releasing games and trailers? Why have all the other first parties besides Bungie been Silent this entire time?

Why is Naughty Dog even taking so long with Factions 2?

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
john travolta GIF

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
What happened?

Sony part ways with Driveclub studio
Sony part ways with Motorstorm studio
Sony part ways with Days Gone studio
Sony part ways with Ready at Dawn
Sony part ways with Quantic Dream
Sony part ways with Media Molecule

And is there some other i forgot to mention? That studio that makes playstation game like folklore, heavenly sword etc? Gone

See...alot less studio now so have to rely more on the big 4 ( Santa Monica, Guerella, Naughty Dog and Insomniac)

And the new leader jimbo tend to focus more on temporary first party deal ( one year exclusices) and gaas game

Thats what happened

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
What happened?

Sony part ways with Driveclub studio
Sony part ways with Motorstorm studio
Sony part ways with Ready at Dawn
Sony part ways with Quantic Dream

And is there some other i forgot to mention? That studio that makes playstation game like folklore, heavenly sword etc?

See...alot less studio now so have to rely more on the big 4 ( Santa Monica, Guerella, Naughty Dog and Insomniac)

And the new leader jimbo tend to focus more on temporary first party deal ( one year exclusices) and gaas game

Thats what happened

They havent parted ways with Bend ( Days Gone) or Media Molecule.
I agree with the rest though. People complain about Quantic Dream, Ninja Theory or Supermassive games, but they produced exclusives for PS.

And they parted ways with multiple Japanese directors like Tomyama and Ueda, who were making games under Japan Studios, now they are making multiplatform games.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
They havent parted ways with Bend ( Days Gone) or Media Molecule.
I agree with the rest though. People complain about Quantic Dream, Ninja Theory or Supermassive games, but they produced exclusives for PS.

And they parted ways with multiple Japanese directors like Tomyama and Ueda, who were making games under Japan Studios, now they are making multiplatform games.
Playstation also closes pixelopus studio, guerella cambridge, zipper interactive, and incognito ( studio that made twisted metal black and warhawk)

At least that what crossed my mind

And Jimbo brought firesprite studio...spotify...? Thats what i remember

• haha
Reactions: EDMIX and Kokoloko

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

What Are Sony First Parties Even Doing?​

Sony first parties are doing videogames, same as they always did.

Nowadays AAA games need at least 5-6+ years of development, and Sony tradidionally doesn't show them until they're around a year, or a year and a half, from release. Sometimes even only some months before release. So be patient.

• ND: just released TLOUP1 on PS5+PC and Uncharted Legacy of Thieves on PS5+PC, released TLOU2 before that 3 years ago. They are working on TLOU online and multiple SP games.
  • SSM: recently released GoWR, are working in minimum the next GoW after GoWR and -since 2018- in Cory's new IP.
  • Bluepoint: recently released GoWR as support team, working in another new game as support team.
  • Valkyrie: recently released GoWR as support team and ported GoW to PC, pretty likely are supporting SSM on their next projects and/or porting something else.
  • Bend: released Days Gone + PC port around 4 years ago, they are working on a new IP using Days Gone mechanics and systems.
  • Insomniac: recently released Rift Apart and 3 PC ports, will release Spider-Man 2 soon, Wolverine next and have at least another game under development.
  • Sucker Punch: released GoT+GoTDC a few years ago, are working at least in GoT2 since 2+ years ago.
  • San Diego: recently released MLB, will continue releasing MLB games
  • Guerrilla: just released HFW+DLC and Horizon CoM. Working on at least Horizon 3 and Horizon online.
  • Firesprite: just released Horizon CoM, working on multiple games. Apparently one is a narrative adventure and another one is rumored to be Twisted Metal.
  • Media Molecule: recently stopped Dreams support (was released 3 years ago) and moved to work on a new game.
  • Housemarque: recently released Returnal+DLC+PC port, working on a bigger new IP since a couple years ago.
  • Sony London: released Blood & Truth 4 years ago, are working on a MP new IP set in a fantasy London.
  • Bungie: Working on Destiny 2 Final Shape, Marathon and more games, pretty likely being Matter one of them.
  • Firewalk: Working on Concord since they founded the studio in 2018, to be released next year.
  • Haven: Working on $Fairgames and in engine/dev tools stuff for PS Studios.
  • Polyphony: Recently released GT7+GT7VR, working on GT7 content and make sure they're working on GT8.
  • Team Asobi: working on a light hearter 3D action game with humour bigger than the previous Astro games.
  • Nixxes: recently released several PC ports, will continue releasing several PC ports.
  • XDEV: working on more 2nd party games than ever.
Playstation also closes pixelopus studio, guerella cambridge, zipper interactive, and incognito ( studio that made twisted metal black and warhawk)

At least that what crossed my mind

And Jimbo brought firesprite studio...spotify...? Thats what i remember
Firesprite is basically the resurrection of Sony Liverpool Studio (Wipeout, Psygnosis), Evolution (Motorstorm, Driveclub) and Bizarre Creations (Project Gotham Racing, Metropolis Street Racer, Geometry Wars, Blur) combined and mixed with young talent and people from multiple other AAA studios.

Sony didn't part ways with them. They are fine and working on new IPs.

We don't know the platforms of the next Toyama and Udea games, we don't know the publisher of the Toyama game and both could be supported by Sony via Shuhei Yoshida's PlayStation Indies.

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Maybe they are waiting till the games are closer to completion but thats the only excuse I got. If thats not the reason, its bad management by Jim and Herman. Simple as. We are more left in the dark more then ever before when it comes to 1st Party.

I woudnt be too worried though, Rise of Ronin (Xdev), Death Stranding 2 and Wolverine (Insomniac ) are all single player games coming to PS5 soon.

We have 3 online games in Concord, Marathon and that generic heist game by Haven.

Then we have:
-Sucker Punch - Probably working on Ghost of Tsushima 2 and an online game

-Bluepoint - They’ve been working on something since 2020 and helped with Ragnarok

-House Marque : Obviously working on something

Santa Monica’s 2nd team? Cory’s game. Im hoping they were working on it alongside GOW Ragnarok or it would be stupid decision by Jim and Herman, they have plenty of money to make a 2nd team for there Major Studios.

Naughty Dog are working on 2 projects supposedly. They released TLOU2 3 years ago

MediaMolecule: ?
Bend: ?
Other teams

Last edited:
Reactions: EDMIX

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
-Bluepoint - They’ve been working on something since 2020 and helped with Ragnarok
According to the game credits and LinkedIn the whole studio worked on Ragnarok since 2020 until almost its release, so they weren't working in anything else other than GoWR until released it.

When released GoWR they didn't have a complete design team to lead a new game themselves, so since they said that moved away from remakes and remasters, pretty likely after Ragnarok are working again as support studio for another new game.

Well Nintendo is like 2 generations behind making Wii U games and Xbox is Xbox, so technically its a clusterfuck as Sony is leading the industry, but very poorly recently
In the recent years -covid related hardware shipment constrains aside- Sony has been more successful than ever. Particularly their big 1st party games.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
It's sad that almost all major 1st party PS studios will only release one game for this generation. No wonder Shawn Layden call this unsustainable.
that’s not true. Guerilla, ND, Insomniac, Bungie, bluepoint, housemarque, Firesprite, Santa Monica, San Diego, team asobi are all on track to release more than one. Nixxies , Valkyrie. Haven is working on their own game and helping in concord so is bungie. Bungie is also consulting on multiple SIE projects. Sucker Punch, Bend, London, media molecule, savage, ployphony, firewalk may only release 1project. Almost all ps studios are working on multiple projects.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Making GAAS while depending on select third parties for single player games. Meanwhile MS is buying out the industry one publisher at a time while sony bean counters allow them to buy garage band start up studios.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
making truly next-gen games takes time.

Now....hopefully they change some of their design philosophy otherwise, they will feel the same.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I have no problem with the studios taking the time they need to produce games on the level they are aiming for...

However at a management level, they should have bought more 1st party AAA story based studios, studios that elevate the quality and mystique around PSStudios.

Studios like Kojima, From, IOI, Remedy, CDPR or a publisher like Square / Capcom. Even a move like buying Konami IP's would have been appreciated but we have gotten nothing to plug these holes in the timetables and GAAS are a gamble that will not satiate the demand for single player story games IMO.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Why does it seem like Insomniac is the only one still releasing games and trailers? Why have all the other first parties besides Bungie been Silent this entire time?

Why is Naughty Dog even taking so long with Factions 2?
Simple the bitches and dick heads crying out Soony after E3 and complaining Sony was showing stuff too far out, now we all deal with it. There are alot of games in development they just haven't been showing it because thy don't want the blowback. Ironically enough when this was going on (this narrative) Xbox was only showing Forza, Gears and Sea of Thieves for like three years straight until release , not releasing shit, yet Sony always had a consistent output and don't get me started on the lie that was Crackdown 3

Last edited: