What Are Sony First Parties Even Doing?

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
made 2 of the best games of all time = a mess
So a studio can't be a mess behind the scenes and still make good games? They literally had 2 exodus... one when the Uncharted 3 team left once Amy got ousted and another after Uncharted 4 shipped because of burnout... so much so they lost the entire multiplayer department as well and couldn't even finish their 1 year roadmap...

It was a well known thing they were struggling to retain talent during TLOU 2 development along with the excessive crunch taking place.

I didn't knock their ability to make good games. I think TLOU 2 is literally one of the top 10 best Playstation games ever.

• haha
Reactions: anonpuffs

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I'd never panic over Naughty Dog they've been a mess since 2014. When Insomniac, Polyphony, Santa Monica start slipping I'll panic.
IMO, ND Has never given any reason to panic until the recent Factions debacle (which is still a rumor today)

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
IMO, ND Has never given any reason to panic until the recent Factions debacle (which is still a rumor today)
They do deliver good games. Though I personally have issues with Uncharted 4 but that's for another day. Great studio was once in my top 2 under the Sony Umbrella.

The new IP they are working on will define their future, imo. Until then, we'll just have to wait.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
They do deliver good games. Though I personally have issues with Uncharted 4 but that's for another day. Great studio was once in my top 2 under the Sony Umbrella.

The new IP they are working on will define their future, imo. Until then, we'll just have to wait.
Agreed. I hope they’ve been working on something other than the Factions multiplayer since TLoU2 launched. If they just started working on their next game after Factions was canceled, oh boy....

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Rebirth looks amazing
But the story changes look like such a turn off

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
And that doesn't even to seem to be their call but Sony's. I bet what they have is dope asf already. I get Bungie deals with gaas but foh really deferring to them over ND in terms of the final state of the game? Thts beyond me.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
And that doesn't even to seem to be their call but Sony's. I bet what they have is dope asf already. I get Bungie deals with gaas but foh really deferring to them over ND in terms of the final state of the game? Thts beyond me.

Yeah, if the Bungie killing it rumor is true, that’s how you kill creativity and any chance to create a transcendent product.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gamernyc78

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yeah, if the Bungie killing it rumor is true, that’s how you kill creativity and any chance to create a transcendent product.

Bungie can't kill games from other studios, according to Sony they simply joined the team that overviews and reviews GaaS specific things where there's also SIE Publishing and PS Studios (management + studios). Other than that they provide support and guidance to other teams working on GaaS, that's all.

Agreed. I hope they’ve been working on something other than the Factions multiplayer since TLoU2 launched. If they just started working on their next game after Factions was canceled, oh boy....
Factions wasn't cancelled, it was branched off to become its own standalone game. They are confirmed to be working on at least a couple of SP games in addition to TLOU online but we don't know since when and in which state hey are, pretty likely at least one of them is in early stages of development.

They literally had 2 exodus...
In big studios every year there's people who leaves and who joins the studio. These "exodus" must have been a very small part of the studio because ND over time kept growing is now bigger than ever. They also work now in more projects at the same time than ever.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
We haven't seen a single thing from Naughty Dog in almost 4 years, except some artwork. Heads should be rolling over there but Hermen is too busy drinking beer on his Yacht with his girlfriend, to be do anything productive.
Rounding up three years and a couple of months to four years for added emphasis lol.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Insomniac is pumping out games

SSM released a banger under 12 months ago
Guerilla 18 months ago
Realistically these studios are a few years from their next title even if they had multiple in the pipeline

Naughty Dog are 3 years since release and dev cycles should tell us a game in the next year or two makes sense. We may even get Factions 2 and their next single player in a close time frame
Sucker Punch next game is probably 2025

That's the big five. For the second tier studios

Bend Studio I could see their next project in the next few years
Media Molecule maybe a smaller project like Tearaway
Housemarque released a game 2.5 years ago. Depending on the scale of the next one they might be ready in 24-25
Bluepoint has been at it for 3 years now but apparently quite involved in Ragnarok so their own projects might still be a bit away
Asobi apparently working on their biggest project since PS5 launch. This could realistically be next year
Firesprite did Horizon VR a few months ago

Otherwise Bungie, Firewall and Haven seem like they'll be the GAAS front and we are least saw teasers of their games

Death Stranding 2, Helldivers 2 and a few more second party games in production too

I think weaknesses in Sony right now is
1. They aren't showing the games being worked on.
2. Naughty Dog are the bread winners. And they have never gone so long without showing a new game. And we are getting close to the point where it's the longest time since they've released a new game
For comparison TLOU to UC4 was 3 years. UC4 to TLOU2 was 4 years. We are now past the 3 year mark and haven't seen anything
3. Lack of new IP to be excited about. Last gen there was no end to them. Another Horizon game just doesn't excite like a new IP.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Monkey Fail GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
We haven't seen a single thing from Naughty Dog in almost 4 years, except some artwork. Heads should be rolling over there but Hermen is too busy drinking beer on his Yacht with his girlfriend, to be do anything productive.
I hope he can convince her to bring her hot friends over, just so they can jump in the water in their bikinis obviously.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Making GAAS while depending on select third parties for single player games. Meanwhile MS is buying out the industry one publisher at a time while sony bean counters allow them to buy garage band start up studios.
Microsoft can buy whatever it won’t save them. Look at Bethesda everything they’ve release since Microsoft bought them is trash. Sony doesn’t seem all that worried.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Making GAAS while depending on select third parties for single player games. Meanwhile MS is buying out the industry one publisher at a time while sony bean counters allow them to buy garage band start up studios.

Its like the opposite, its third parties and new studios making GAAS. Their primary single player studios are all most likely still making single player games…

Suckerpunch - Ghost 2
Naughty Dog - new IP or TLOU 3
Team Asobi- astro something
Insomniac- wolverine
Bend - open world action game
Bluepoint and Housemarque - most likely single player stuff

Cory’s Game is also most likely a single player game

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Which is why heads should be rolling over there because one man shouldn't be overseeing all the projects, when they aren't even the best developer at Naughty Dog 🌚.

Let him go be a mini Kojima with his own Studio and let others take the reigns so Naughty Dog can be efficient again.
You act like Kojima is inefficient when he puts out games far faster than ND does.

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
You act like Kojima is inefficient when he puts out games far faster than ND does.
Next time I'll put it brackets I was simply aligning the fact both artists are also into film making. And we're not gonna pretend Guerilla games didn't assist Kojima in having a quick turn around on the first Death Stranding... an asset he doesn't have this time around... so we shall see how efficient he is.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Not true, the majority of first party games being under development aren't GaaS.

They have 'over 10' or 'a dozen' GaaS under development out of MORE THAN 25 games (some estimated around between 30-40 including VR) being under development at PS Studios + games under development at Bungie which are minimum 3. So 12 GaaS out of MORE THAN 28 games.

Reactions: EDMIX

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
BS. Let's look at their last 5 games

MGS3 - 2004
MGS4 - 2008
MGS5 - 2015
Death Stranding - 2019
Death Stranding 2 - maybe 2024

Uncharted 3 - 2011
The Last of Us - 2013
Uncharted 4 - 2016
The Last of Us 2 - 2020
Factions 2 - maybe 2024