What are the most valuable IP's / Studios this generation?

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
In terms of IP and studio talent, who are the most valuable in the industry in your opinion?

Who are the "King-makers" out of all the studios?

Make a list of your top 3-5 studios or IP's and explain why they are strategically important in AAA or even AA gaming.

Reactions: EDMIX

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
GTA is the most valuable single IP.

Call of Duty is still holding on. Take your pick between the younger-skewing creation/service games like Minecraft, Roblox, even Fortnite, etc.

Reactions: Bryank75 and EDMIX

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Insomniac - 3 amazing games in 3 years, all technical showcases raising the bar and showing what the PS5 is capable of.

Ryu Ga Gotoku (Yakuza/LAD/Judgment) - They release a game or two pretty much every year and they're always great games. Sucks that they've sold out to Microsoft but oh well

FromSoftware - I'm not a souls fan but their output is great, their games aren't technically impressive but they have good art direction

Ubisoft - It's become cool to hate on Ubisoft but they do have good games and their release cadence is a lot better than most publishers of their size. AC Mirage and The Crew are great and Prince of Persia and Star Wars Outlaws next year both look like they'll be amazing.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75 and EDMIX

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Putting Nintendo aside since they are too imbalanced.

From
Insomiac
Square's FF14 team
Capcom's team A
They really aren't if you go by internal teams.

Here's my short list, in order of bang for buck.

1. Roblox Corp./ Roblox
2. Epic Games (main Cary N.C. team)/ Fortnite
3. GameFreak/ Pokemon
4. Rockstar North/ Grand Theft Auto
5. FromSoft/Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Elden Ring, too many to list, really
6. Mojang/Minecraft
7. Nintendo EPD 5/ Animal Crossing and Splatoon

And here are a few also rans along with reason of non-inclusion.

Insomniac (Spiderman and Ratchet and Clank) the way I count teams, the most recent R&C game was helmed by a different physical location and thus is counted seperately. Spiderman alone doesn't cut it.)

Blizzard: Is actually multiple seperate and distinct teams, I cannot sort out who does what and thus left them off.

Nintendo EPD 3, 8, 9 and 10. These are the Zelda, 3D Mario, Mario Kart and 2D Mario teams, respectively. The bar is so high that even something like the Switch Zeldas, or Mario Kart 8 (a last gen port) does not get you there.

HAL Labs (Kirby.) Lots of releases, but none big enough.

Id Software (Doom). Just not enough recurrent revenue, Doom 2 was a disappointment, Quake disappointing too, if they even made it.

Ubisoft Montreal (nearly all "thats so Ubisoft" franchises are or have been developed there.) Not enough bang for your buck, high headcount yet less profitable than the big six on my list.

The two EA Sports studios. Part of the question was about IP value and they really don't have any. The high cost of production makes me question how much EA really makes on them. Sure they are valuable and profitable, but do they print money like the 7 above?

Anything mobile. I just don't know enough.

Anything Chinese. I just don't know enough.

Edit: Actually, I think I can come up with three more to get an even ten. They are Mihoyo for Genshin Impact and Honkai StarRail along with ConcernedApe for Stardew Valley and Toby Fox for Undertale. Mihoyo is, of course, a Chinese team, but I know enough about them to give them a spot. As said above there might be even more Chinese teams that I am blanking on, that should be taken as a slight against me, not a slight against them. The other two are one man band games, literally so for Stardew Valley, less so for Undertale, which had at least two monster designers/helpers on the team even if Toby did the lion's share of the work. While neither matches the money or output of, say, Square-Enix CBU III to pull an example at random, they get only slightly lower results despite having <5 people on their dev teams and thus easily have more bang for your buck. In my list above I would slot them in as 7, 8 and 10 with EPD5 being 9th.

Last edited:

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
They really aren't if you go by internal teams.

Here's my short list, in order of bang for buck.

1. Roblox Corp./ Roblox
2. Epic Games (main Cary N.C. team)/ Fortnite
3. GameFreak/ Pokemon
4. Rockstar North/ Grand Theft Auto
5. FromSoft/Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Elden Ring, too many to list, really
6. Mojang/Minecraft
7. Nintendo EPD 5/ Animal Crossing and Splatoon
1. Live service junk
2. Live service junk
3. They release garbage now
4. Last game was a decade ago...great game turned to live service junk
5. agreed
6. Same game for the last decade
7. agreed but its a given

EDMIX

Concord will take that spot.
I concur.

I believe it when I see it lol

But shit, look at Apex, 100 million users. Anything can happen in the online MP realm, but i still doubt it will match COD.

Wouldn't be shocked if it did.

Wouldn't be shocked if it didn't lol

Insomniac - 3 amazing games in 3 years, all technical showcases raising the bar and showing what the PS5 is capable of.

Truth.

When you have a team this good and games moving 30 million units and we've yet to get Wolverine yet, you know you have an ace on your hands. They got this team for a fucking bargain!
Ubisoft - It's become cool to hate on Ubisoft but they do have good games and their release cadence is a lot better than most publishers of their size. AC Mirage and The Crew are great and Prince of Persia and Star Wars Outlaws next year both look like they'll be amazing.

Some of the most solid teams in the entire industry. I have no doubt they'll knock it out of the park with AC Red and Star Wars Outlaws.

People love to hate on this publisher, but they have some of the most talented developers in the industry. When you look at the issues of some of the titles that released this year, it shit that Ubisoft has done flawlessly for generations.

Like Cyberpunk struggling with police Ai or not having a working train station or even having the ability to hack cars to have them stop as DLC, all that is shit done in Watchdogs 1, 2 and 3. So I think sometimes gamers get a bit exaggerative and maybe need to objectively look at what those teams have done, they are doing things that other teams struggle to even get a fraction of done.

Even Star Wars Outlaws, look at all the shit Starfield is dealing with, I doubt Ubisoft will struggle with near those issues as they have a stable of very, very talented teams. Not to take away from Starfield mind you as I get its a different game, but if you give Ubisoft that concept, they are doing it justice with some amazing, functional and logical features.

When someone tells you they hope Cyberpunk 2 has a working train station, the ability to hack the whole city to the point of doing a black out, they are asking for this team to achieve what Watchdogs did in 2013.... (and with 2 other games after within the same generation)

^ Notice several things

Left one area during a fire fight, to get to another area all in real time no loading. (....Starfield)

Cyberpunk laughs*

They also did it with ai chasing after them and understanding they exist on vehicles with combat

Cyberpunk silence*

lol

So I trust Ubisoft to do lots of concepts well cause they have a solid history of doing many ideas very well and I think most gamers don't give them the credit they deserve. We have games literally launching with limited Ai, stripped of features and taking years to patch common sense features, Ubisoft should NEVER be getting this level of hate as they are not fucking even putting out games in that state in the first place.

They get it done right and feature complete the first time and I feel many seem to ignore this for what ever hot take they have on Ubisoft. I had no worries that AC Mirage was as advertised, just like I have little worries about AC Red, Star Wars Outlaws etc

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
I believe it when I see it lol

But shit, look at Apex, 100 million users. Anything can happen in the online MP realm, but i still doubt it will match COD.

Wouldn't be shocked if it did.

Wouldn't be shocked if it didn't lol

Truth.

When you have a team this good and games moving 30 million units and we've yet to get Wolverine yet, you know you have an ace on your hands. They got this team for a fucking bargain!

Some of the most solid teams in the entire industry. I have no doubt they'll knock it out of the park with AC Red and Star Wars Outlaws.

People love to hate on this publisher, but they have some of the most talented developers in the industry. When you look at the issues of some of the titles that released this year, it shit that Ubisoft has done flawlessly for generations.

Like Cyberpunk struggling with police Ai or not having a working train station or even having the ability to hack cars to have them stop as DLC, all that is shit done in Watchdogs 1, 2 and 3. So I think sometimes gamers get a bit exaggerative and maybe need to objectively look at what those teams have done, they are doing things that other teams struggle to even get a fraction of done.

Even Star Wars Outlaws, look at all the shit Starfield is dealing with, I doubt Ubisoft will struggle with near those issues as they have a stable of very, very talented teams. Not to take away from Starfield mind you as I get its a different game, but if you give Ubisoft that concept, they are doing it justice with some amazing, functional and logical features.

When someone tells you they hope Cyberpunk 2 has a working train station, the ability to hack the whole city to the point of doing a black out, they are asking for this team to achieve what Watchdogs did in 2013.... (and with 2 other games after within the same generation)

^ Notice several things

Left one area during a fire fight, to get to another area all in real time no loading. (....Starfield)

Cyberpunk laughs*

They also did it with ai chasing after them and understanding they exist on vehicles with combat

Cyberpunk silence*

lol

So I trust Ubisoft to do lots of concepts well cause they have a solid history of doing many ideas very well and I think most gamers don't give them the credit they deserve. We have games literally launching with limited Ai, stripped of features and taking years to patch common sense features, Ubisoft should NEVER be getting this level of hate as they are not fucking even putting out games in that state in the first place.

They get it done right and feature complete the first time and I feel many seem to ignore this for what ever hot take they have on Ubisoft. I had no worries that AC Mirage was as advertised, just like I have little worries about AC Red, Star Wars Outlaws etc
Exactly, gamers really do take Ubisoft for granted since they've been around so long. They've also arguably been the most influential team in gaming history ever, for better or worse, they pretty much set the the standard for open world games, even the biggest and best games like Witcher 3 have to give credit to Ubisoft. I'm not a big Avatar movie fan but I hope their new game does well. AC Red, Prince of Persia, and Star wars are all day 1 buys for me.

Reactions: EDMIX
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Paw Patrol MUST be the most valuable IP in gaming right now.

And what about Peppa Pig?

I totally disagree with you and there are 5 dogs in Paw Patrol, so that disqualifies it. Each one of those dogs could hold down their own IP, it's so big now. Microsoft just couldn't afford them, so they went for Activision, the cheaper option...

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
And what about Peppa Pig?

I totally disagree with you and there are 5 dogs in Paw Patrol, so that disqualifies it. Each one of those dogs could hold down their own IP, it's so big now. Microsoft just couldn't afford them, so they went for Activision, the cheaper option...
Neither Peppa Pig nor Paw Patrol could hold a candle to the juggernaut that is Teletubbies!

• Surprised
Reactions: Bryank75

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Nintendo - Self Explanatory at this point.. I don't care for most of their games anymore, but I can't deny how important they are to gaming as a whole. As most gamers start out gaming on Nintendo platforms like myself and then eventually branch out. And their IP's are eternal. They understand the concept of IP preservation.

Playstation Studios - I'm not gonna list singular studios for Playstation as it's truly one umbrella. Playstation Studios is basically the HBO of gaming at this point. They will have some misses but you are always guaranteed quality, great story telling, top notch visuals, great gameplay and quality control. They have pushed the medium forward in so many ways and forced the industry to try and keep up with them in some ways too. They have something for everyone even if they are slightly losing sight of the fact they already have winning formula many can't replicate.

CAPCOM - Probably the most consistent 3rd party publisher of the last 4 decades? Up for debate but they are up there. In my opinion they are the Nintendo of 3rd party publishers.

Ubisoft - I've always had a soft spot for them. I even was championing for Sony to buy them on this very forum. Extremely talented developers. One of the few pubs out there always willing to take a risk. They use to be the only major 3rd party pub who were actively creating innovative AA games. I'm not sure if they still are? As their financials got icky. But even so, they pretty much try offer a little of everything. I'd really love to see them get their quality control back on track because they have the talent, IP's and creative talent to do good things. It's a shame what Happened with Assassin's Creed: Unity... I feel this was the moment that sorta broke them and the media assassinated their image... Had that game been given 6 - 8 more months, I feel it would changed their trajectory last gen.

Square Enix - While they are not on top now, I do think they are extremely valuable and offer experiences that can't be found else where. They have a slew of IP's many would kill for. They also are willing to step outside of the box at times even to their detriment lol. But, I do have a soft spot for them as they provided me with some of the best gaming experiences of all time. They just need to refocus and get back to the basics, stop trying to chase trends.

Honorable Mention - From Software... I didn't put them in the top 5 because outside of SEKIRO (which is better than everything they've made except Bloodborne). They really kinda have just stuck to their niche which is great, but until they can truly reinvent the wheel again... I can't put them up there with the greats for now.

• fire
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Neither Peppa Pig nor Paw Patrol could hold a candle to the juggernaut that is Teletubbies!

You're right, you win. How could I have overlooked them?!

Drag Queen Love GIF by Teletubbies

Time for Tubby Tustard!

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
You're right, you win. How could I have overlooked them?!

Drag Queen Love GIF by Teletubbies

Time for Tubby Tustard!
If you ever get the chance to watch an episode of Teletubbies on a good sound system, I shit you not, the bass is incredible. There was a story I read in the late 90s that ravers coming down from all-nighters were a decent portion of the show’s viewership due to the mellow vibe being well-suited to the purpose of chilling out after rolling all night.

• haha

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Rockstar really deserves a shout out but they've been so complacent. They've made the same mistake Playstation is now making where they've cut out the middle man (AA). They don't even try to create IP's anymore, which is a shame.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Rockstar really deserves a shout out but they've been so complacent. They've made the same mistake Playstation is now making where they've cut out the middle man (AA). They don't even try to create IP's anymore, which is a shame.
They are executing at an unparalleled level. If GTA6 continues the record, I can't consider them complacent.

• haha
Reactions: KiryuRealty