What do you think was the most influential Game of the 00s?

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
looking back 2 decades ago I can see the following being the most Influential games on the 00s, what do you think? agree, disagree? what would you put in?

2001 - Halo - this game really showed how future FPS on Consoles would play for the next two decades
2001 - GTA 3 - The blue print of 3D open world games
2004 - World of Warcraft - I'm not the biggest know it all on MMO's but just from hearing other people it seems to have influences every other MMO in the past two decades
2004 - Halo 2 - Very innovative online multiplayer
2005- Resident Evil 4 - Popularized the over the shoulder camera that just about every third person shooter since has used, it may of not invented it but it showed the industry how it could be used in TPS and even besides the over the shoulder camera it even gave inspiration to other games like Bioshock and God of War 2018. I would say it also showed a lot of developers how to reinvent their franchises
2005 - Shadow of The Colossus
2006 - Wii Sports
2007 - Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Last edited:
  • fire
  • brain
Reactions: Diah and Kokoloko

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Grand Theft Auto 3 and its not really debatable. Not only did it build its own genre, that has been named after it, but it also invented the modern incarnation of the mini-map and the standard way that open world games give quests. Among, likely, a bunch of other stuff that I've forgotten.

OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Grand Theft Auto 3 and its not really debatable. Not only did it build its own genre, that has been named after it, but it also invented the modern incarnation of the mini-map and the standard way that open world games give quests. Among, likely, a bunch of other stuff that I've forgotten.
GTA is definitely a great answer. The only things you can really say against it is that from what I hear from a lot of of people is that Shenmue and Driver did a some things in GTA 3 before GTA 3 however it's not about who did it first, it about who did it so well that everybody looked to it for inspiration and you cannot deny GTA 3 shaped a lot of what we still see in gaming over 20 years later.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
GTA3 was easily the most influential.

Some other very influential games:
Persona 3
DOTA
Half-Life 2
TF2
Left 4 Dead
Portal
Demon's Souls
MGS2
Dear Eshter
Fahrenheit

Last edited:
  • fire
Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I dont think its just one. And the previous posts have got it right

My opinion: 2000’s

-GTA3/San Andreas
-Half Life 2
-World of Warcraft (MMO’s to the next level)
-Halo (Next level what Golden Eye did for console shooters in the 90’s)
-RE4 ( 3rd person over the shoulder camera angle )
-Gears ( 3rd person shooters)
-Dark Souls (I know Demons Souls started it but Dark Souls was a commercial hit that everyone knows)
-Skyrim
-Cod modern Warfare
-Uncharted 2 ( Story driven action games, cinematic set pieces )

-Super Meat Boy, Limbo for that indie like revolution
-Minecraft (Dec 2010 Beta release ) but this could be classed as 2010’s.

Before the 90’s- 2000’s is also interesting

Heres just some

-Tetris ( Yes it was released in 1989 but gonna include it)
-Sonic ( Gaming rivalry Mario vs Sonic )
-Doom ( We all know why )
-Street Fighter 2 (Took games and fighters to a new level)
-Final Fantasy 7 (Put JRPG’s and RPG’s on the commercial map)
-Resident Evil/Silent Hill - Survival Horror Genre is born
-Gran Turismo ( Racers became more popular than Ever
-Mario 64 - 3D Platformers
-Zelda OOT - 3D Adventure games
-MGS - Took Story telling in games to a new level
-Golden Eye ( Took 1st person shooters/multiplayer games up a level for Consoles )

-Quake 3? Unreal Tournament? Counter Strike - Competitive online shooter

Others: Half Life, Diablo, Civilisation, Sim City, Command and Conquer. Star/WarCraft. Ultima Online. Mario Kart. Sims

Last edited:
Reactions: Diah

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Warcraft by far. Warcraft 3 spawned DotA which inspired DotA 2, League of legends, and was one of the big impetuses behind tower defense games rising to popularity. League is probably the most played core game (i.e. non cellphone type game) in the world today with over a hundred million monthly players.
Then on a parallel track you have World of Warcraft which followed in the footsteps of others like Everquest and Ultima Online but really was the first to become 4th wall breaking and leak out into the wider cultural zeitgeist. Can't really remember any other games that had South Park episodes making fun of the playerbase. And in the gaming space itself you had dozens of companies try to imitate it due to its massive success, spending billions of dollars in total and most of them failing.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Smash Bros Melee - Pretty much set the standard for competitive fighters

Counter Strike - set the standard for competitive multiplayer fps games

Half Life 2 - Set the standard for environmental intractability

The Sims - pretty much set the blueprint for life sim games

Devil May Cry 1 and 3, pretty much created the character action genre and set the blueprint for every hack and slash game after

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Smash Bros Melee - Pretty much set the standard for competitive fighters

Counter Strike - set the standard for competitive multiplayer fps games

Half Life 2 - Set the standard for environmental intractability

The Sims - pretty much set the blueprint for life sim games

Devil May Cry 1 and 3, pretty much created the character action genre and set the blueprint for every hack and slash game after
I thought counter strike was 1999 but your right, its 2000

Nomen_Nescio

11 Aug 2023
Gotta be Resident Evil 4.

As much as I hate it for ruining the RE series, it literally created a new genre of game.

The over the shoulder view/shooting are used to this day by most 3rd person games.
Yeah I remember hating it, then 5 and 6 came out and 4 felt great, in comparison. I am worried that Capcom has again begun to flirt with action heavy shit, given how RE 8 ends. Seven was great and a return to what makes the series unique and great.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Yeah I remember hating it, then 5 and 6 came out and 4 felt great, in comparison. I am worried that Capcom has again begun to flirt with action heavy shit, given how RE 8 ends. Seven was great and a return to what makes the series unique and great.
About RE4, me too. RE5 was a good coop game but so far away from Resident Evil.
RE8 I really enjoyed. Yes the ending was action packed but I think it was ok because prior to the end they really did justice of the old RE formula.
Horror check. Metroidvania level design, big check. Lots and lots of connecting level design, in the overall map and each section too. And also they brought it all back together with the lore. Lots more enemy variety than RE7 (which I also enjoyed ) I hope they keep it up with RE9

OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Gotta be Resident Evil 4.

As much as I hate it for ruining the RE series, it literally created a new genre of game.

The over the shoulder view/shooting are used to this day by most 3rd person games.
Dog Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
As usual, Zelda and Mario and other shit.
the thing is if this were the 80s and 90s absolutely.
however the zelda and mario games of the 00s didn't really influence much.
Mario sunshine, galaxy, new supermario bros, new super mario bros wii, super mario 64 DS didn't seem to indpire platformers weather it be 2D or 3D.
out of all the Zelda games in the 2000s maybe Wind Waker gets some credit for opening up cel shaded games being a thing but they pivoted hard with Twilight Princess.

Grand Theft Auto 3 seems to be the most popular answer for the 00s most influential games and even Dan Houser said anyone who says they didn't borrow from mario 64 and Ocarina of Time is lying: https://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/10/...ckstars-dan-houser-on-grand-theft-auto-v.html

So yeah if this was the 90s Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time would be leading the pack easily

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
If making the case for RE4/GEARS, you have to properly attribute the cover system to PS2's Kill.Switch.

OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
If making the case for RE4/GEARS, you have to properly attribute the cover system to PS2's Kill.Switch.
I don't think anyone says RE4 inpired cover systems future games would use. There are only two parts in the game that let you use cover, the dynamite throwers by the dumpster before getting to Mendez's house and in the military part with Mike there are a few places you can cover.
But even Cliff has publicly said Gears used KillSwitch as inspiration for the cover system Gears uses