What genres or types of games do you miss, that are not made anymore?

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I have been thinking about games I used to play and then some that friends of mine used to play...

1080 snowboarding
SSX
Guitar Hero
Dancing and singing games
Dance games
Wipeout
Tactical shooters 3rd person shooters
Even games like Uncharted are not really made anymore... They stopped making Uncharted and they stopped making Tomb Raider.
Devil May Cry, has been a while since we got one of them now too...

What series, game type or genre are you missing?

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
RTS (those with cool campaigns and cutscenes), and arcade racing (in the spirit of FlatOut2, old NFS, and Split\Second).
Damn, you got two big ones that I somehow missed....

Ridge racer and Burnout too.

I used to play so much Command and Conquer and now we get none... It's unbelievable.

Reactions: J_Paganel

DarkLordOtaku

18 Oct 2024
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
I'm very glad CRPGs are experiencing something of a renaissance right now. Growing up on BG1 & BG2, Icewindale, etc. it's felt so quiet in that space until Larian came along and started knocking it out of the park.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
I wasn't realizing how much I was missing testosterone-driven war shooters until I got my hands on Space Marine 2.

No messages, no strong female character, no pronouns, no non-binary NPCs, no global warming innuendo.
Just me and the boys on a bromance journey to blow up aliens for the Emperor.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Good RTS games, I am very good at them but they fell out of the zeitgeist by the time I got into them. Rise of Nations and Age Mythology were my go to games when I was in school.

I also miss games with serious themes like we had in the ps1 and 2 era. Xenosaga, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Drakengaurd, Valkyrie Profile were all games that blew the mind of the teenage me and as I grew older I realised more and more the deep philosophical quandaries in these games.

Nowadays we get the same tropey mary sue games

Reactions: ToTTenTranz

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
  • New Wipeout (VR compatible)
  • New Motorstorm (VR compatible)
  • New Loco Roco
  • (Woke free) Uncharted 5
  • Tetris / Lumines / Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
  • Good pixel art beat'em up (there have been a few recent ones like TMNT)
  • Quantic Dreams games (looking forward to Star Wars Eclipse)

Reactions: Kokoloko

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
  • New Wipeout (VR compatible)
  • New Motorstorm (VR compatible)
  • New Loco Roco
  • (Woke free) Uncharted 5
  • Tetris / Lumines / Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
  • Good pixel art beat'em up (there have been a few recent ones like TMNT)
  • Quantic Dreams games (looking forward to Star Wars Eclipse)
Current day SIE would never give us the top half of that list 😥

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Current day SIE would never give us the top half of that list 😥
I think it's hard because outside the top seller IPs these genres don't sell a shit and costs increased in a way that the minimum amount of minimum sales needed to make a new game sustainable is maybe too high for them.

What could realistically happen is that once they run out of newer / better selling games to remake / remaster and port to PC, or to adapt to movies/tv shows, they could make a Wipeout / Loco Roco / Motorstorm combo of:
  • Remastered collection PS5 + PC port
  • Movie / tv show / cartoon adaptation
Without expecting great numbers, and in case it sticks (I doubt it) then make a newer game. They could also try to push them a bit via Astro Bot, with more bots of these series, more Loco Roco levels, some Wipeout / Motorstorm themed racing levels.

I think that in the same way Sony successfully tried to enter the Super Mario platformer market with Astro Bot, they may try something similar with arcade racing trying to get their Mario Kart, probably merging their IPs again under the Astro IP.

Instead of going stricly with a kart game, it would be cool to make an arcade racer that mixes features of many classic PS arcade racers: scifi anti gravity and combat items (plus game modes) from Wipeout. Nitro, mud, environmental destruction and adrenaline from Motorstorm. Ships that can flip from Rollcage, futuristic flying motorbikes from Jet Moto or Destiny, drifting from Ridge Racer, vehicle destruction from Destruction Derby or Crash Team Racing, car collection and customization stuff from Gran Turismo.

Add there a ton of characters and vehicles from many popular PlayStation IPs (stuff like Destiny, Helldivers, Super Stardust, Resogun, Uncharted, Killzone or Horizon) that can put there, unified under the cartoon Astro Bot aesthetics in a cute and fun family friendly fashion.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Good RTS games, I am very good at them but they fell out of the zeitgeist by the time I got into them. Rise of Nations and Age Mythology were my go to games when I was in school.

Within 3 years, we got Tiberian Sun, Red Alert 2, Age of Empires 2, Starcraft, Populous, Settlers 3 and Homeworld. What a time that was, for base builders like me.

Crazy to think that was 25 years ago. I'm old.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
More aracady flight combat games.

Ace combat is the only good one out now. Everything else is just meh.

Although that genre wasnt that big to begin with.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Anything by Naughty Dog
So much this. Give me another Uncharted ASAP.

I also miss old school survival horror with actual puzzles. I just replayed the original SH2 and that's the sort of thing I'm talking about. Hope the remake has similar puzzles.

Stealth games. And I mean hardcore stealth games like Thief, Splinter Cell and earlier Metal Gear.

Reactions: Shmunter

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
We could use more:

Arena FPS
Stylish character action games
Car combat games
Arcade Racers
Arcade Football games, well arcade sports games of any genre.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I want to see a futuristic racer that is more FZERO GX than Wipeout with heavy online component. Definitely not open world.

Arcade racers in general that aren’t open world are missed. From outrun to burnout 3 or a driveclub… gone.

More 8-10 hr action games is missed too. Everything is padded.

J_Paganel

30 Jan 2024
The last RTS I played was Age of Empires IV. I really liked the little movies they put into the campaign, which let you learn about the history of the scenario you were about to play.
I recently bought AOM:Retold, which is a remaster, of course, but it's an interesting game with a good campaign.

And it works well on SteamDeck, I've only played a little bit, but I think when I have time I'll play through it completely.