What Happened to Minecraft Xbox Series X Ray Tracing?

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
maxresdefault.jpg

All aerated In March 2020:

And DF made a video about the Series X including Minecraft DXR:

And DF made a video about how it was already running over 30fps with little time made by one man work.

You can find others videos.

And now we are entering late 2022 and?

What happened?

Edit - Made a better OP with researched links.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 140
D

Deleted member 13

I think even the latest GPUs by Nvidia/AMD aren't powerful enough for this kind of thing and that game is using nothing but boxes to align up perfectly with BVH tree so that intersections don't have to be tested for triangles and it's still not enough. Basically we are a long way from that kind of RT for games using triangles.

yewles1

21 Jun 2022
Indianapolis, IN, USA
PSN ID
yewyew1
I think even the latest GPUs by Nvidia/AMD aren't powerful enough for this kind of thing and that game is using nothing but boxes to align up perfectly with BVH tree so that intersections don't have to be tested for triangles and it's still not enough. Basically we are a long way from that kind of RT for games using triangles.
It needs time, the hardware just needs to get better, it's no different from any other rendering acceleration evolution.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 13

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I recall the first games that had support for bump mapping, it would tank performance so much that nobody could use it on early hardware.

OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Not these days; compilers be too good.

Seems like compilers used to be pretty trash way back with older gens tho (or at least certain ones; assembly > C compilers for Saturn for example. Love that system but a lot of those devs had a struggle there).
If there is not performance you will continue using high level languages.
That is what happens with Emulators.
Most emulators today runs with good performance so they are made primary with high level language like C/C++.
But in the old days when the performance was a issue (the PC hardware was not stronger enough) it was made with several Assembly instructions.
That is probably true with PS3 emulation nowdays... they are C/C++ with Assembly in key performance path.

But no Emulator was made in fully assembly... just the path that had performance issue with the actual hardware.

24 Jun 2022
If there is not performance you will continue using high level languages.
That is what happens with Emulators.
Most emulators today runs with good performance so they are made primary with high level language like C/C++.
But in the old days when the performance was a issue (the PC hardware was not stronger enough) it was made with several Assembly instructions.
That is probably true with PS3 emulation nowdays... they are C/C++ with Assembly in key performance path.

But no Emulator was made in fully assembly... just the path that had performance issue with the actual hardware.

That makes sense, and I can picture it's the same with actual game software too. Ideally it's best to stick the high-level languages and only go to hand-written assembly when the extra performance is needed.

But what makes game development on older systems so interesting to me is, it seems the high-level languages were not as mature back then, probably because they were usually written for PC Windows and the such, while older consoles had completely proprietary chipsets not based on x86 architectures, therefore the high-level languages didn't natively target the instruction sets of older gaming consoles.

And that is probably why so many games back then had to be coded in assembly or have most of the logic coded in assembly; there wasn't a unification of the high-level languages really targeting the esoteric instruction sets of chipsets back then, probably combined with the fact high-level languages needed more performance overhead and the specs of older consoles didn't really provide the necessary headroom. So it just made for some really interesting game development environments for those times.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 13