What if: Microsoft bought Capcom...how would you react?

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I'm not saying it will happen or even COULD happen... but I am curious how each person here might react if Capcom got acquired somehow.

Would you buy an Xbox to add to your PS5?

Would you switch to Xbox?

Would you buy a PC?

Would you get rid of your PS5?

Or what other action might you take?

This thread was inspired by many of the posts by Xbox fanatics on Twitter yesterday, calling for an acquisition from MSFT in Japan.

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
Like most people i would find it a little annoying just for the fact i would rather they spend the money building up there own studios and IP's and not just buying it.
I like many others would still not need to buy a Xbox or Sell there PlayStation's, as with a PC and PlayStation you get the best of both worlds.
The only thing i worry about is they take on so many studios and IP and they will only focus on the IP's that sell well and make games more bite size giving room for "DLC" and Micro-transactions to keep you in the ecosystem, also the fact that they will need to downsize some of the studios so they can keep funding the more profitable ones going.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
RIP Capcom. In a scenario like that it wouldn't take more than a few years for MS to have completely destroyed any value that they had.

Looking at Capcom games/IPs it becomes pretty clear that the Japanese games I like are spread out over a bunch of different publishers so there is pretty much nothing MS can buy to force me to support Xbox.

The big loss here would be Resident Evil but it's a franchise that has already had many ups and downs and that I like more for it's older titles ans remakes that have already been done. I'm used to the idea of not expecting much from RE.

What appeals to me in a scenario like Sony buying SE or Konami is the expectation that things would actually improve, the opposite of what I would expect with them under MS.

Last edited:
P

peter42O

Obviously, I would be extremely happy seeing as Capcom is the only Japanese publisher that I would want Microsoft to acquire. Future Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry, etc. games all day one on Game Pass? Yes please.

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
I loved the Resident Evil franchise enough to buy a GameCube in the past. That love started to diminish with RE4 and turned to 0 with RE6. Since RE7 I'm a fan again, but not enough to buy again a console just for it. New entries would be played on PC (maybe).

I don't care for any other current Capcom franchise.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
i don't play their games. somewhat those games are overrated for me. so it wouldn't effect me.

but how many publishers they can buy it? while hitting debt year after year. it is like regulators turns blind eye on everything

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
It'd be terrible for gaming because all Microsoft does is take titles away from other platforms with these purchases. Switch would lose a shit ton of interesting titles, and I'd need to get a gaming PC to continue to play their remaining titles until Capcom is ground into dust by Xbox incompetence.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Honestly I don’t even need to imagine because I know this scenario will never occur. Especially after they bought Activision Blizzard and got this hard scrutinised for this merger. Remember EUC gave an antitrust warning to Microsoft’s next potential acquisition. I heavily doubt that Microsoft will ever be allowed to buy a pub. Not even if Sony announces Square Enix. Microsoft has to much IPs and assets already with Activision Blizzard alone. Not to forget Zenimax.

Reactions: Bryank75

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022
Remain status quo.
Capcom have a lot of my favourite games, I just wouldn't be happy about them being bought. Or any third publisher.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Obviously, I would be extremely happy seeing as Capcom is the only Japanese publisher that I would want Microsoft to acquire. Future Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry, etc. games all day one on Game Pass? Yes please.
Such a short sighted view of the industry, it's actually unbelievable people think this way.

Anyway, the more MS gets, the less interested I am in the industry.

I own a Series X and a GPU sub but I hate choice being taken away from me. Develop your own IPs and let people have choice on IPs they played for decades.

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
It would be wild to see the reactions.. but I wouldn't want that. Doesn't even really make sense as Capcom is one of the few Japanese developers which mostly supports everyone as it is. Sure Xbox doesn't get the more niche titles, but it gets all of the big Capcom ones.. so it would kinda be a waste for MS.

The only reason I could see MS wanting to get Capcom would be to ensure that PS doesn't get them and take everything off Xbox.

If anyone, I'd like to see Xbox get Sega. Xbox and Sega were closely intertwined back in the old days, and Sega has a long history with PC as well... a large amount of their current games are PC strategy games.. so by all measures they fit Microsoft better... but again, they're perfectly fine on their own as well.

The big 3 are Capcom, SquareEnix, and Namco.. if any of those go to Sony or Xbox... that's a REALLY big deal.

• brain
P

peter42O

Such a short sighted view of the industry, it's actually unbelievable people think this way.

Anyway, the more MS gets, the less interested I am in the industry.

I own a Series X and a GPU sub but I hate choice being taken away from me. Develop your own IPs and let people have choice on IPs they played for decades.

As long as I get the games day one on Game Pass, Microsoft can give Sony every game for all I care. As long as I can play the games I want to play on the console of my choice, it doesn't affect me if others can play those same games elsewhere. You playing it on PlayStation isn't going to affect me playing it on Game Pass.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Awesome Congrats GIF by Adult Swim

• haha

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
It's the number 1 dream acquisition after Acti for those garbage sewer rats. They're already making fanfics and graphs about it.

If Capcom is dumb enough to sell they will lose Evo support that Sony owns, bad relationship with Sony and Nintendo and all their IPs are dead after the next installment.

The devs should walkout the day it's announced in protest.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
As long as I get the games day one on Game Pass, Microsoft can give Sony every game for all I care. As long as I can play the games I want to play on the console of my choice, it doesn't affect me if others can play those same games elsewhere. You playing it on PlayStation isn't going to affect me playing it on Game Pass.
Those would be mutually exclusive with a Capcom acquisition, but perfectly feasible right now if Microsoft redirected some funding to securing GP rights.

However, the reverse is not true - having titles on GP would affect me, even if I play it elsewhere, because it devalues gaming as a whole and those individual titles. GP is a cancerous blight on gaming and cheerleading for it is short-sighted, selfish, and foul.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Holy hell man, do you not see the end game for this attitude and approach?