What if: Microsoft bought Capcom...how would you react?

Firefly

25 Jul 2022
Sony doesnt even need to invest alot in said company, 5-10 percent. If a rival platfrom holder (MS) tried to pull anything sony could scream hostile take over of japanese business.
Tbh I'm not so sure. MS presence in japan is nonexistent I could easily see them making the argument for buying someone like capcom to help boost their presence in japan against PS. (In reality it just a excuse to deprive Sony of capcom games and make them exclusive buts that's their end goal anyway with the publishers they buy).

24 Jun 2022
Sony doesnt even need to invest alot in said company, 5-10 percent. If a rival platfrom holder (MS) tried to pull anything sony could scream hostile take over of japanese business.

Kadokawa? Well, possibly. I could never see Microsoft buying them, there's no synergy. However, Microsoft could try buying shares in From Software and that's the kind of thing Sony has to get ahead of.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Guys you’re making yourself crazy. You can’t just buy shares without receiving beforehand the approval of the company. Everything bigger than 1% of shares, the board needs to be notified. So it’s impossible buy shares without the board’s knowledge.

I don’t think wether Capcom nor Fromsoftware will sell to Microsoft. Keep it realistic, Microsoft tried for sure to do so in the past and were rejected. Do you guys really believe Phil Spencer visits Japan just for making deals to get more Japanese games on Xbox? No he certainly asked them many times if someone would volunteer to sell. Don’t forget Shinji Mikami leaved Tango for not wanting to obey Microsoft. No Japanese corporation with a clear mind and business will sell to Microsoft. Also Nintendo and Sony have power in Japan and Microsoft does not. The argument ”we are nonexistent in the Japanese market” wont work on Japanese regulatory. Heavily doubt that JFTC would side with Microsoft. It’s also in the interest of Japanese government to protect their economy & business from foreign hands. Many options are not left, only hostile takeovers. I assure you that Japanese government will never allow a hostile takeover to go though. Some important info is also, Capcom is a family business or simply they own the biggest share (controlling stake). Again I can tell you not to believe what this clout chasers on Twitter do write.

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I wouldn't care as long as I don't have to play on their garbage console. Maybe if they sold a console without all the bullshit infesting the UI I'd think about it...but nah. I'll just play anything interesting on Steam.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75
24 Jun 2022
Guys you’re making yourself crazy. You can’t just buy shares without receiving beforehand the approval of the company. Everything bigger than 1% of shares, the board needs to be notified. So it’s impossible buy shares without the board’s knowledge.

Uh oh, this kills a certain theory then on ResetERA about Nintendo being unaware of Sazzy Group buying shares into them, then. I'm pretty sure some of those Nintendo family members are on the Board of Directors and Sazzy has purchased way more than 1%.

Meaning they'd of needed the board's approval and like I said, if at least some of those Nintendo family members also sit on the board, then they knew and approved the entire time.

I just love tearing down BS ResetERA defenses for Nintendo, particularly when it comes to an investment firm with some connections to a controversial regime, buying shares into their favorite childhood nostalgia house 😂

• haha
Reactions: Cool hand luke

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Uh oh, this kills a certain theory then on ResetERA about Nintendo being unaware of Sazzy Group buying shares into them, then. I'm pretty sure some of those Nintendo family members are on the Board of Directors and Sazzy has purchased way more than 1%.

Meaning they'd of needed the board's approval and like I said, if at least some of those Nintendo family members also sit on the board, then they knew and approved the entire time.

I just love tearing down BS ResetERA defenses for Nintendo, particularly when it comes to an investment firm with some connections to a controversial regime, buying shares into their favorite childhood nostalgia house 😂
Era has a theory that a company doesn’t know who is buying shares from them? What?

Yossarian

15 Jul 2022
1. Would you buy an Xbox to add to your PS5?

2. Would you switch to Xbox?

3. Would you buy a PC?

4. Would you get rid of your PS5?

5. Or what other action might you take?
1. No. Already sold my SeX

2. Hell no. Never again.

3. Already have one

4. Already got rid of it.

5. If they took resident evil, dmc and monster hunter (aka the capcom series' i care about) off pc/switch I'd probably laugh

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I'd laugh, would be a very poor use of their money when it could be put toward stuff the Xbox market cares about (you could have CDPR, majority control of FROMsoft and patt of Ubisoft for less.)

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I'd laugh, would be a very poor use of their money when it could be put toward stuff the Xbox market cares about (you could have CDPR, majority control of FROMsoft and patt of Ubisoft for less.)
Majority control of fromsoftware will simply never happen.

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
I’m late to this thread but with so many people leaving Xbox studios, problems with projects and such, I think MS should be focusing their time and money on correcting the mess they have before going to buy more studios.

But MS wants to waste money, give Xboxes for free that would have better results than to buy Capcom.

But if that happens I would say, how long before MS curse takes effect and Capcom gets destroyed?

VillaiN

Veteran
10 Feb 2023
U re wasting time. They wont get capcom nor square. They wont sell to ms so their ips die. Jftc d object. Jap goverment d get involved. Ffs they tried to buy nintendo back in the day. Dont u think tgey tried to buy sega or capcom already?

Also i see ms buying 1 more pub a d thats it. They ll have to show results for spending that much money. Some of u act like they ll go and bu whole industry. It wont happen. Relax.

They have shareholders etc.who want results and wont oblige spending whole reserve on losing division. Also buying even 1 more pub ll raise concern with eu and cma. I dont see it happening.

Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
U re wasting time. They wont get capcom nor square. They wont sell to ms so their ips die. Jftc d object. Jap goverment d get involved. Ffs they tried to buy nintendo back in the day. Dont u think tgey tried to buy sega or capcom already?

Also i see ms buying 1 more pub a d thats it. They ll have to show results for spending that much money. Some of u act like they ll go and bu whole industry. It wont happen. Relax.

They have shareholders etc.who want results and wont oblige spending whole reserve on losing division. Also buying even 1 more pub ll raise concern with eu and cma. I dont see it happening.
That’s what I also tried to say, thanks.
People forget that revenue and profit, will be added from Zenimax and Activision Blizzard to Xbox division earnings. There will be for sure a small shift, they will be closer to SIE revenue in the future. Hardly doubt they will be able to buy another publisher. I think the next who buys a pub will be Sony. Square Enix is a safe bet.

Reactions: VillaiN

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I saw a guy saying Microsoft was going to use the US government to force japan to let them pick which publisher they want. I mean these Xbox guys don’t even buy games and for some reason they want Microsoft to buy the whole games industry.

Reactions: Box

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
There was an older rumor that Microsoft tried to buy Capcom but talks fell through. The source was notorious Xbox shill/insider Speshal Nick, but MS do tend to keep their shills close and feed them info. There was also a rumor about MS talking to every Japanese publisher from Sega to Square, with Bandai Namco supposedly being a hard NO on selling.

Reactions: Bryank75