What is a game that you think is an underrated MASTERPIECE?

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
What game(s) do you consider to be a MASTERPIECE, but other gamers don't think much of?

For me, Middle Earth: Shadow of War. This game was a true 10/10, the story is amazing, top tier voice acting (Joel and Mimir VA's), the gameplay loop is addicting, and the ending was beautiful. One of the best endings I've ever experienced in a video game, I really hope we get a 3rd game someday, after they finish the Wonder Woman game.

This game got a lot of flack when it first came out because it had some poor monetization decisions, but they've since walked back on the monetization and the game is pretty much perfect. It's sad that many people never gave it a chance because of the bad press.

latest.png

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
The Evil Within 2, for me, is a fantastic game all around.

100% need to give that another playthrough some time.

Days gone i also really enjoyed.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Yakuza 0. Nier Auromata.

Maybe, not masterpiece but Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima very underrated.

Reactions: JAHGamer
OP
OP
JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
But it's an underrated one...
idk about that one 😂 but we can agree to disagree
Twinsen_painting.gif

I don't get how it isn't much more popular and acclaimed. It released in 1997 and just oozes charm. I guess it should've been released by Nintendo...
what the hell is this? 😂😂
Yakuza 0. Nier Auromata.

Maybe, not masterpiece but Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima very underrated.
Y0 I can see, the Yakuza series as a whole is still relatively niche. Y7 only sold 1.5m copies, but its still one of my favorite franchises

I disagree with Nier Automata though....that game is extremely overrated imo. It's also pretty popular?

Reactions: Jim Ryan

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I wouldnt say Dark souls 3 in and of itself is under rated, but it is overlooked in its genre and is a masterpiece IMO. Especially with the DLC.

Reactions: Nhomnhom
OP
OP
JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
I wouldnt say Dark souls 3 in and of itself is under rated, but it is overlooked in its genre and is a masterpiece IMO. Especially with the DLC.
It's also still the most graphically impressive FromSoftware game imo, even more than Elden Ring. And yes it's overlooked, I rarely hear people talk about it.

Reactions: Dabaus

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Sleeping_Dogs_-_Square_Enix_video_game_cover.jpg

Sleeping Dogs. From the developers of Modnation Racers for fuck's sake.

This is an excellent GTA clone with beautiful graphics and a deep story that leans heavily on the Infernal Affairs movies (which inspired The Departed). Some of the best melee combat in an action game, solid shooting, even car-to-car platforming.

It's what Cyberpunk should've been.

GrayWolf323

6 Sep 2023

This is an excellent GTA clone with beautiful graphics and a deep story that leans heavily on the Infernal Affairs movies (which inspired The Departed). Some of the best melee combat in an action game, solid shooting, even car-to-car platforming.

that was one of the first games I thought of for this topic, another would be Alpha Protocol which is IMO still the best spy game we’ve ever had (even if it is broken in several different ways)

Alpha Protocol & Sleeping Dogs are the two games that I’ll always be sad we didn’t get a sequel for that could have been like going from Assassin's Creed 1 to 2 for their series

I’d also mention Legend of Dragoon as it’s a personal favorite of mine

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023

Sleeping dog is overrated and always was. I played it on release and it's the poor man's GTA with Batman combat.

It's a game from 2012, GTA5 released one year later.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
1704230056490.png

Of course. Did everything in an open world others could not at the time. Dynamic time of day, dynamic weather, dynamic Al, looked good, etc. The bugs in release I couldn't tell you about as I purchased it way down the line but it was a 90 plus game imo. One of the best zombie games I've ever played.

Attachments

• 1704230176023.png
    1704230176023.png
    170.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Reactions: JAHGamer