What is the deal with the Xbox series s? No one is buying it?

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
In Australia we recently Had a competition if you bought Shapes (a cracker brand here) you could win an Xbox Series S every hour, this competition went on for a month. We also have stock listing for consoles and eveeytime the Ps5 is posted, it was sold out within minutes. The series S would be posted, it would be in stock for many months, thr post would barely get any traction.

Even at the height of the chip shortage i would always see the series s in store, nobody was buying this.

Who was this console even made for? If you wanted a next gen console you would want power, if you wanted something cheap and portable you would buy a switch.

They literally have to give this console away just to get it into peoples homes.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Half of the audience doesn't want the less powerful one (and thats being generous) and half of the audience doesn't want the disc-less one. So at best you're looking at 1/4th the customer base and even then...

It was cheap enough, I'd have got one if it had a disk drive but nope.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
It's just a bad product, only the most casual and uniformed people buy it (only to regret it).

Digital only, low storage(that you can't expand without getting ripped off), heavilly compromised hardware, Xbox One S retro, basic featureless gamepad that requires AA batteries, no exclusive games.

OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Half of the audience doesn't want the less powerful one (and thats being generous) and half of the audience doesn't want the disc-less one. So at best you're looking at 1/4th the customer base and even then...

It was cheap enough, I'd have got one if it had a disk drive but nope.

look at the comments, people see it as an emulation machine, there is no hype around this console. Its just sad at this point.

It's just a bad product, only the most casual and uniformed people buy it (only to regret it).

Digital only, low storage(that you can't expand without getting ripped off), heavilly compromised hardware, Xbox One S retro, basic featureless gamepad that requires AA batteries, no exclusive games.

I really don't understand what they wee hoping to achieve with this, also its holding back the 9th gen. I can see why more companies are choosing to go ps5 only

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Big Brain Phil thought he would kill Nintendo dead with the Series S and the PS5 would be stillborn with the Series X. And his fans believed him.

A link to an old thread from 2020 was posted earlier today and people were laughing and shitting on Jim Ryan because he said low-powered consoles were a bad idea. They thought he was terrified and he would make a PS5 S to compete before it's too late.

He was right 100% and Xbox is losing billions with that unsold stock. Retailers should dump it in a minefield with ET.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
My favorite series s damage control post was something like

“Perfect console for the living room!”

Like what? That’s the purpose of every game console.

Series S is trash. It fucked them for the rest of this gen. No doubt about it.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
The Series S appears to have been intended as a giveaway machine to partners doing IPTV and telecom services to add Game Pass to the service bundles, but the deals never materialized. That’s most likely due to MS basically failing to live up to the promises they made to those former partners in the 360 era and the Bone era by never actually pushing or even releasing the add-on hardware and supporting software an Xbox would need to be a capable IPTV box.

• brain

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It is bad product.

Why? It is a machine created to replace Xbox One X at cheaper price that doesn’t performance/power to be considered to deliver next-generation experience.

I mean it is basically a previous gen level being sold as next-gen cheap entry… I have no ideia who can anybody think it should be successful 🤷‍♂️.

Plus there is no future for Series S… MS eventually will just drop it and move to the upgrade Series X.

A discless Series X at $399 should be better option.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
My favorite series s damage control post was something like

“Perfect console for the living room!”

Like what? That’s the purpose of every game console.

Series S is trash. It fucked them for the rest of this gen. No doubt about it.
That by itself is not true too.

Living room usually have the bigger TVs in the home plus people seat far away from TV (for comfort and to give space to more people).

So in living room is the worst place for a Series S… it is the place you want more resolution and sharper IQ first that is exactly what Series X is.

I really don’t see any good reason to buy Series S except you are really low economically and even so can’t you wait some more months saving to buy a Series X? 4-5 months saving $50 will get you there 🤷‍♂️

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Another interesting thing about the Series S is that when it comes time to upgrade the Series S owner is more likely to got with a PS5 over a Series X because Gamepass doesn't tie you to the console as you don't own anything.

Gamepass loses appeal/value the longer you have it, because you play the games you want then and then you just fall into that situation where each month you need to hope they add enough you are interested in playing to justify the $15.

The Series S is just poorly thought out on every level. Console sales should never be about baiting the uninformed into buying your console because it's cheap. Plenty of these Series S will go inactive pretty soon and the prices of a used one is already sub $200.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Another interesting thing about the Series S is that when it comes time to upgrade the Series S owner is more likely to got with a PS5 over a Series X because Gamepass doesn't tie you to the console as you don't own anything.

Gamepass loses appeal/value the longer you have it, because you play the games you want then and then you just fall into that situation where each month you need to hope they add enough you are interested in playing to justify the $15.

The Series S is just poorly thought out on every level. Console sales should never be about baiting the uninformed into buying your console because it's cheap. Plenty of these Series S will go inactive pretty soon and the prices of a used one is already sub $200.
Interesting point