What is the story behind Icon Era?

Summer Nightmares

Veteran
Icon Extra
12 Jan 2023
Title. Im curious about it, especially when I see some random "founder" post now and then.

What is the story behind this forum? A group of online or real life friends who just decided to start a new site? Or rebel users who didn't know each other from other foums who decided to start their own?

I know that @Bryank75 is from Ireland because he said so himself, @Gediminas seems to lean heavily into playstation games, and @Dr Bass is always a pleasure to read because he is usually one the most level headed users here. How did you all come together to create this place?

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Title. Im curious about it, especially when I see some random "founder" post now and then.

What is the story behind this forum? A group of online or real life friends who just decided to start a new site? Or rebel users who didn't know each other from other foums who decided to start their own?

I know that @Bryank75 is from Ireland because he said so himself, @Gediminas seems to lean heavily into playstation games, and @Dr Bass is always a pleasure to read because he is usually one the most level headed users here. How did you all come together to create this place?

So, most of us came from Neogaf and some of us were also on other forums... Reset, Gamespot, VGChartz and various others.

However, Gaf was the connecting point. We all met there and most of us were very big PlayStation fans. Then at a certain point, there seemed to be a purge of PlayStation fans and super fans on Gaf and I believe Garani made a discord.

One by one we all joined as a backup place in case we all got banned.

I believe the guys had tried to make a forum before but it didn't take off.
Eventually I took over admin of the discord and started to throw around ideas for our own forum....

The guys already had a xenforo license and already had servers and knowledge.

So anyone that wanted to be a founder invested a small amount and that's how it got started.

We all have our own histories through that time.... If you want any backstory I haven't mentioned, I'd be happy to expand.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022

I was promised huge amounts of cash, hot chicks and copious amounts of alcohol and drugs.

Instead, what I got was people like @TubzGaming, @Kokoloko and @PropellerEar.

Fuck this place.

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I just want to say, I found this place on Twitter. Your Tweets kept popping up on my "For You" section and after a while, I finally clicked on you and investigated. You're not perfect (GAAS blindspot), but you have cultivated a nice home here. Thank you for creating this Haven for gamers.

That was definitely the aim.

A home for lots of the gamers who might have different opinions, slightly more abrasive.

We didn't want politics to be a major part and we didn't want to ban people as easily or as fast as Gaf and reset do...

The only way that people get banned is if they keep attacking other users after several interventions usually.

It's been a lot of fun though. I love our community and I always miss people of they leave or get banned.... It's never something I like to see.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I love our community and I always miss people of they leave or get banned.... It's never something I like to see.
I can a attest to this, when Elder legend got banned, @Bryank75 was in complete tears in the mod channel.

Tears of Joy.

season 1 smile GIF

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
I’m sure a lot are also like me. I was on Neogaf from 06-17, Resetera 17-22. I was banned for telling them the ABK deal wasn’t as sunshine and rainbows as they wanted to hear. Then I found iconera, as I didn’t want to return to Neogaf because I find the community to be political.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Wow did not expect such nice words in the OP. I try. 😛

I think most of us were NeoGAF posters that thought the site moderation was strangely Xbox slanted. To the point where you just couldn’t even “discuss.” Some of the founders here were indeed banned from there but I never got a ban or even a warning for anything. I just thought it got out of hand and wanted a fair video game forum. It’s still what we strive for. This stuff should be fun after all.

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
A year or two ago some GoW leaks originated or were broken here. Thats why I joined.
Yes, we've had a few leaks here... Including the "Ooze game" and the Returnal PC port footage and some smaller ones.

I think I let slip that Starfield was getting another delay once too...

Reactions: Bo_Hazem

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Well discovered this place because fairly well known YouTube whom I interact with occasionally on Twitter kept retweeting the tweets. I eventually checked it out and deiced to join and that's how I joined my first gaming forum.

Though things get a bit tense here at times, I do think the overall community here is pretty decent. A nice little outlet to voice opinions about a shared hobby.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
GAF was full of Xbox shills and GP evangelists at the beginning of the gen. It was as bad as ERA. Most of them are still there and protected.

The worst was when they put the sticky about console warring (basically if you dare criticize Xbox). It was a complete purge of all the PS fans so they came here instead.

When it was obvious Xbox lost the gen there was a shift and the tone about Phil/Xbox changed...or maybe Evilore felt threatened by IconEra so he stopped banning all the PS fans 👀

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
GAF was full of Xbox shills and GP evangelists at the beginning of the gen. It was as bad as ERA. Most of them are still there and protected.

The worst was when they put the sticky about console warring (basically if you dare criticize Xbox). It was a complete purge of all the PS fans so they came here instead.

When it was obvious Xbox lost the gen there was a shift and the tone about Phil/Xbox changed...or maybe Evilore felt threatened by IconEra so he stopped banning all the PS fans 👀
Yeah it was pretty bad.

And these guys evangelized the fake narratives done by Xbox crowd on social networks.

VRR, VRS, 9TF, Mesh Shaders, Full RDNA2, etc etc were posted in every single thread.

The funny part is that the own release of the console made them eat so many crows lol

BTW I think Evil Lore give white card to the mods that start to ban PS fans for whatever reason… after he had to take again the things over his hand to not have most of member permanent banner 😂😂😂