What plans does Microsoft have to keep the ABK talent

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Was wondering what plan Microsoft has to keep the ABK talent and how much will it cost.

We all know Sony put aside 1.2 billion to stop a mass exodus at Bungie.

That’s basically half of the acquisition cost for Bungie which was 2.4 billion.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

Reactions: laynelane
OP
OP
Muddasar

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
They can't even keep the talent they've already got.

True. We saw it happen at Rare.

Does Microsoft even care? They own the IPs.

Then again owning an IP isn’t enough. Who would have imagined Halo being in this state.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Very little can stop talent from leaving, I can't wait to see some of the talent poaching... Sony will go hard there, I'm sure.

Many just leave of their own accord, cause they don't want to work for MSFT.

• noneofmybizz
Reactions: Muddasar

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Was wondering what plan Microsoft has to keep the ABK talent and how much will it cost.
MS acquisitions focus on buying popular brands, not that much in talent.

Probably they'll fire a good chunk of ABK workers in the following months while (something normally signed in any acquisitions) making sure the key individuals considered by MS continue in ABK during a few years. This is something pretty common in big acquisitions.

A ton of very talented people from Activision Blizzard already left in previous years, and make sure more will leave in the following months/years. Some to other MS studios, some will leave MS. In a few cases soon, other cases once they complete the (typicallly 2 or 3 years) mandated years in the acquisition deal.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Bethesda and ABK are meant to replace the dumpster fire of studios they own not working on Forza.

OP
OP
Muddasar

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
MS acquisitions focus on buying popular brands, not that much in talent.

Probably they'll fire a good chunk of ABK workers in the following months while (something normally signed in any acquisitions) making sure the key individuals considered by MS continue in ABK during a few years. This is something pretty common in big acquisitions.

A ton of very talented people from Activision Blizzard already left in previous years, and make sure more will leave in the following months/years. Some to other MS studios, some will leave MS. In a few cases soon, other cases once they complete the (typicallly 2 or 3 years) mandated years in the acquisition deal.

Having a popular brand isn’t enough.

Look what happened to Halo with no Bungie at the helm.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Give ABK employees three months GP head first, another 6 months as bonus.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Very little can stop talent from leaving, I can't wait to see some of the talent poaching... Sony will go hard there, I'm sure.

Many just leave of their own accord, cause they don't want to work for MSFT.
All the real talent left long ago already.

Most of the people that once made Blizzard stand out as PC developers are long gone, Respawn was created 13 years ago, what else is left? Infinity Ward is probably where they have the most talent left and they'll be occupied making games for PlayStation for at least the next 10 years.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
They can't even keep the talent they've already got.
Ice T React GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Summer Nightmares

12 Jan 2023
I don't think they are concerned about keeping talent. I think they are just betting that the game titles are going to be successful because the IP are already famous.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Having a popular brand isn’t enough.

Look what happened to Halo with no Bungie at the helm.
I think that what it's important isn't the popular brand, but the talent that knows how to create and develope it in the proper way.

I mean, even if they didn't have the Destiny IP, having Bungie, Firewalk -or via 2nd party, Deviation- Sony can keep getting the next Halo/Destiny/CoD because they will have the people who knows how to make them.

MS got Halo, Gears or classic Rare IPs but without their creators wasn't the same. I think Killer Instinct was the only one who -even if with poor sales- at least had a great quality at the same or even better than the original ones.

I think CoD already lost a lot of its key talent, but at least in this case they have still enough talented people to keep it very successful and relevant as it is today.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
They should let ABK or ID manage all xbox studions, they were able to manage theirs before... not perfectly, but much much better than whatever it is that xbox is trying to do.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
They can't do much. It will happen especially if they keep Bobby Kotick around. Microsoft wants the IP's they don't and will never care about nuturing Talent the way Sony and Nintendo does.

If Sony is smart they'll help many devs start up studios in the coming years.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Will be interesting to see if Microsoft actually stay true to their word and go and clean up the messiness over at ABK and allow all their studios to unionize. They made a lot of promises to push this acquisition through.

PropellerEar

Veteran
Founder
21 Jun 2022
(Substantial amount of) RSU's that will vest in couple of years, could make some people stay.