What plans does Microsoft have to keep the ABK talent

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
Will be interesting to see if Microsoft actually stay true to their word and go and clean up the messiness over at ABK and allow all their studios to unionize. They made a lot of promises to push this acquisition through.
They didnt did that on zenimax, they wont do that on Activision

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Will be interesting to see if Microsoft actually stay true to their word and go and clean up the messiness over at ABK and allow all their studios to unionize. They made a lot of promises to push this acquisition through.
0 chance to ever happen. People are so dumb to believe anything m$ says, especially about work.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I think that what it's important isn't the popular brand, but the talent that knows how to create and develope it in the proper way.

I mean, even if they didn't have the Destiny IP, having Bungie, Firewalk -or via 2nd party, Deviation- Sony can keep getting the next Halo/Destiny/CoD because they will have the people who knows how to make them.

MS got Halo, Gears or classic Rare IPs but without their creators wasn't the same. I think Killer Instinct was the only one who -even if with poor sales- at least had a great quality at the same or even better than the original ones.

I think CoD already lost a lot of its key talent, but at least in this case they have still enough talented people to keep it very successful and relevant as it is today.

There isn’t much of an overlap with Bungie shooters and CoD. Destiny replaced Halo.

And Marathon is attempt to break into the f2p BR space while not being a BR. It’s hoping to carve out something new in the mainstream.

I think Deviation is the only one staffed with being able to make a CoD military shooter.

Scifi shooters are sorta a different genre…

Reactions: Muddasar

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
At the end of the day, they don’t really have to replace CoD they just need to find something to make up the difference in revenue. If sony had a (just for example) twisted metal gaas that became the next Rocket league and made 300k a year, and a hero-shooter (marathon, concord, etc) that made up another 600k they’ve already replaced the revenue and reliance on COD, especially since they get to fully rake in 100% of the profit due to them being digital games.

Not only that but they can make tv shows and movies out of them, sell merch, and they retain perpetual marketing for them. They don’t gotta pay Bungie an insane marketing contract for Marathon.

Theoretically there are more people playing sci fi shooters or anime MMO’s than military shooters.

i bet sony would rather own MiHoYo or Fortnite over CoD, considering how big of a market they both have overseas and not just the US

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Considering Bethesda employees were part of their mass lay-offs not so long ago, I suspect they have no plan. They just want the IPs and considering their first-party output over the last years, quality is not a priority.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
There isn’t much of an overlap with Bungie shooters and CoD. Destiny replaced Halo.

And Marathon is attempt to break into the f2p BR space while not being a BR. It’s hoping to carve out something new in the mainstream.

I think Deviation is the only one staffed with being able to make a CoD military shooter.

Scifi shooters are sorta a different genre…
We know that Destiny is pretty different than CoD, it's more an evolution of Halo.

We'll have to see how exactly Marathon is. What we know so far is that it's going to be a PvP extraction shooter with sci-fi setting. Yes, obviously going to be GaaS and like anything from top AAA teams is going the target the mainstream, aim to the top.

But regarding gameplay loop, feeling, game modes, features, level design, monetization, narrative etc. we don't know how it's going to be structured. We know the "PvP extraction shooter" part: you make your build customizing your character, weapon and so on and go with a team to fight enemies, collect the maximum loot possible and leave without dying to don't lose that loot. Once out you'll use that loot to craft items for your characters and weapons.

Like The Division's Dark Zone mode or Escape from Tarkov, or let's say a bit like the Souls games but in a MP shooter. But we don't know the rest of the stuff: they can take a ton of references from CoD that may end being a game that feels more like CoD than Destiny or Halo.

There are a ton of things that could get influenced by CoD (or any other popular shooter) to learn from it copying stuff people like from it in several areas and appeal their fans, like the gunplay and jumps, the weapon types, HUD, gameplay loop, leveling up system and progression system, skill tree, perks, customization, other game modes, how narrative is told, monetization system, retention features to keep you engaged coming back to the game again and again, structure of post launch content and releases, monetization system and a long etc.

I assume Bungie and the other Sony teams will take ideas and influences from all the top popular shooters of the last generation or so, will mix them and evolve the idea each one in a different direction. Each one may be pretty different but several of them can be appealing -scifi or not- to the CoD audience (which has some scifi games btw).

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: Vertigo