Where is the sales announcement for Helldivers 2 from PlayStation?

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The developer never shared sales, the most similar thing did was an emoji of a finger pointing up replying to an estimation. Which could mean that it was accurate or that the real numbers were even higher.
Most of times the developer share sales… not Sony.

For example Ragnarok.

Or Spider-man 2.

Most sales you know about Sony’s first party come form the own developer and not Sony themselves.

Sometimes Sony update their earnings list or make a PR but it so random.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Vague tweets are not announcements 🤦‍♂️ stop being disingenuous
That is how it works at Sony.

Sony sometimes make PR about some milestones but these are few.

The developer still have the choice to share it or not… and that happens most of times via Twitter including the big hits 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: mckmas8808

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Most of times the developer share sales… not Sony.
These developers are Sony, they are their subsidiaries.

But yes, on a big corporation like Sony the individal sales for a game are not something worth mentioning to get a dedicated press release or public announcement, unless it's part of a bigger announcement (like announcing a movie adaptation of the IP, fiscal report, maybe the announcement of a sequel or port, etc).

Being something more specific to a brand or studio, makes also sense to announce these things in studio/brand social media accounts when they consider it's worth announce it and doesn't align regarding timing with a nearby higher announcement to include it there. But game sales are considered confidential data protected by NDA, which isn't shared unless greenlighted by higher ups and PR.

It isn't a random data that the CM/development studio can decide to share any random day without approval.

The reason is that being a public company, sales data may affect stock price, so should be shared properly and regarding timing when it is more apropiate for their interests. Specially when in this case apparently they are breaking sales records.

Last edited:

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Ragnarok took 4 months to get 11m???

That means Helldivers 2 is gonna be Sonys fastest selling game by a long shot, holy shit! I predict it’s around 12-15 millions. It’ll easily sell more than Palworld by the years end.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Ragnarok took 4 months to get 11m???

That means Helldivers 2 is gonna be Sonys fastest selling game by a long shot, holy shit! I predict it’s around 12-15 millions. It’ll easily sell more than Palworld by the years end.

God of War Ragnarok 11M announcement:

November 9th 2022 --->Feb 1st 2023
2 months and 22 days

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
God of War Ragnarok 11M announcement:

November 9th 2022 --->Feb 1st 2023
2 months and 22 days~

So just under 3 months.... yeah Helldivers just magically became Sony's biggest franchise. the fact GOW did that without PC is ridiculously impressive.

Reactions: mckmas8808

mckmas8808

26 Mar 2024
So just under 3 months.... yeah Helldivers just magically became Sony's biggest franchise. the fact GOW did that without PC is ridiculously impressive.

It's another franchise Sony can put in their big franchise image now.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023

The developer still have the choice to share it or not… and that happens most of times via Twitter including the big hits 🤷‍♂️
Stop, you're trying to pretend like these 3 posts are the same thing. One of these is not like the other 🤦‍♂️

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Helldivers 2 was released exactly 2 months ago. I estimate assuming a 50%-50% split it already sold above 15M, somewhere around 16-18M maybe. I think they are in track to announce over 20M units sold in 3 months in the fiscal year report of next month.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Helldivers 2 was released exactly 2 months ago. I estimate assuming a 50%-50% split it already sold above 15M, somewhere around 16-18M maybe.
i don't think it's that high, but 13-14m is pretty likely. maybe 15m by the end of the month

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Why are you comparing sales from Ragnarok that sold mostly on PS5 a system that was literally just getting out a hardware shortage. Yes it was also on PS4 but buyers were overlapping.

PC is a different platform. With that said Helldivers is now a juggernaut but definitely not their biggest franchise

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023

No they don't.

The tweets @JAHGamer has posted have dates attached to them.

Milestone tweet for GoW:R on Feb 1st 2023.
Milestone tweet for Spider-Man 2 on Feb 14th 2024.

What do those two have in common?

FY2022 Q3 - February 2, 2023
FY2023 Q3 - February 14, 2024

PlayStation is always calling the shots when it comes to PR milestones of their games.

Helldivers 2 was released exactly 2 months ago. I estimate assuming a 50%-50% split it already sold above 15M, somewhere around 16-18M maybe. I think they are in track to announce over 20M units sold in 3 months in the fiscal year report of next month.

One should not assume a 50%/50% split considering the first month for EU was 56% PC and "nearly 60%" for the US.
This is without taking into account Asia which would have an even more favourable PC split.

i don't think it's that high, but 13-14m is pretty likely. maybe 15m by the end of the month

Yeah, that's more reasonable, although I think it might be slightly lower at 12M~
In the end, we'll just probably have to wait until May 14

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Box and JAHGamer

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
They announced god of war and SM2 on the earrings reports
After the developer shared the data with community via Twitter.
Like I said Sony doesn’t do that for most of their games.

HD2 developers already talked about the numbers on Twitter too.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
One should not assume a 50%/50% split considering the first month for EU was 56% PC and "nearly 60%" for the US.
This is without taking into account Asia which would have an even more favourable PC split.
3 days after release the Arrowhead CEO they had around 1M players:
image.png

He also mentioned that the player split back then was "about 50-50", so I take it as the only official number:
image.png

It may had changed since then, but considering these first months sales almost a 60-40, something like 58%-42% would also fit because shooters are more popular in EU and specially USA. Being conservative that would mean around 13M-16.5M assuming a 58-60% of sales being in PC right now, maybe a bit less if being specially conservative.

We also have to consider that "around 50-50" doesn't mean exactly 50-50.

Last edited: