Which of these PS controversial initiatives would you cancel?

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Calling all hardcore Sony fans here. Old school fans that been there with the brand since 1994. You have seen all those new initiatives that modern Sony is trying to push. Some of them feel a bit outside their bread and butter like VR, GaaS, Mobile, Streaming, PC ports... old school fans don't seem to be happy about many, if not all of these fresh new ideas from the Californian gaming giant.

Which of these would you cancel and why? You can pick only one.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Mobile, GaaS and VR. PC ports too if people don't buy them. You want your studios to bulk up your platform so you can make "free" money off 3rd party sales, the above don't really help with that.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Legacy PC ports have increasingly become 1 year time exclusive PC ports, so those need to go.

Mobile would expand the brand far more than PC ports could ever dream too, while also making more revenue.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Everything except GaaS, Cloud and Half assed Portable.

Mobile can be a goldmine for them but they will never have a mobile hit because they are always late to the party on everything outside of first party games and tech.

As much as I enjoy VR. I wished they had never made the VR2 ... Such a waste of resources and money for a dead platform.

Reactions: Vertigo

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Everything except GaaS, Cloud and Half assed Portable.

Mobile can be a goldmine for them but they will never have a mobile hit because they are always late to the party on everything outside of first party games and tech.

As much as I enjoy VR. I wished they had never made the VR2 ... Such a waste of resources and money for a dead platform.

In total agreement. Online games is something they always have an always should be competitive with. Cloud will be important beyond streaming when games could offload tasks from hardware and with hemorrhaging game file sizes. And mobile like it or not… at some point mobile will evolve to cater to more hardcore tastes as well as growing its casual appeal. They don’t need a portable to compete on the mobile front. They haven’t done anything there tho. Not yet. I expect numerous NetEase partnerships.

I have nothing good to say about VR outside of cockpit games like racers or perhaps a flight game. Launching PsVr2 and its entire software development pipeline to me is a waste of resources. Is the R&D for the tech appreciated? Sure … but I’m firmly in the position that wearing a helmet to game is a non starter.

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
We haven't really seen their mobile initiative, right?

They could licence off their IPs and have Korean or Chinese devs make gambling mobile games.

GT7 is a GAAS. People seem to love it. Destiny too, it has tons of players.

I'd say cancel none, but carefully monitor and stay agile and listen to what the market is telling you.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023

They could licence off their IPs and have Korean or Chinese devs make gambling mobile games.

I'd say cancel none, but carefully monitor and stay agile and listen to what the market is telling you.
Given that they just fired the head of it, I think we have seen what phase one of the mobile initiative is (its nothing.)

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022

We’ve seen nothing of their mobile initiative.

I don’t even think we know of anything in development do we? There’s Destiny Mobile that Bungie is co-developing with NetEase but that existed before the purchase and is still not officially a thing. We just know it exists and has been in development for almost 5 years now. Post Activision/NetEase falling out I expect Sony to jump in as a big partner tbh. Especially with their push to court Chinese devs.

Altho when I heard two Horizon spin-offs were in development I assumed the one that had generic mmo dev working on it was mobile bound.

• brain
Reactions: Ezekiel

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
The PC ports of course, and since when did people have an issue with PSVR2?! This is the first time I've heard anti VR sentiment from PS fans. I'd still prefer a handheld of course but I'm glad Sony is actually doing something different and still making their console worth owning. They're at least trying and not just handing us a subscription service and telling us to kick rocks

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Umar

Helios

Coolios
11 Jun 2023
Mobile and Half-Assed Portables, there is no point in trying to get into these markets, just feels like a waste of time.
Either go all in on a ps vita successor for portables or don't bother with half-assed portables

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
All I see from Naughty Dog these days on Twitter is some PC patch announcement or some woke garbage. Neither of which are of interest to reasonably minded console gamers. PC ports out!

Reactions: JAHGamer

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Just GAAS from any single player studios. Not needed.

They need some GAAS games but building and buying that expertise is the way to go, not changing proven studios from what they are already good at

The rest I'm fine with

PlayStation dominating all facets of gaming is ideal

Reactions: Muddasar
D

Deleted member 417

Why can't I vote multiple times?

Portables, GaaS, mobile shit and streaming should be fired into the sun.

25 Jul 2022
Couldn't vote because I wouldn't cancel any initiative.

Just seems premature to cancel when we haven't even seen the end results or know all information of yet.

Why the need to cancel something that's additive anyway?

Plus console is only a small segment of the overall gaming landscape its the right decision to broaden the scope with these initiatives or get left behind.

My biggest concern is the quality of PC ports, DONT release until its ready. Last of Us caused an unnecessary black eye to the brand by trying to rush release.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
All except VR.

But to me it's not about the extra things they are doin it's about the lack of significant expansion in investment on traditional games.

Reactions: Deleted member 417