Which Sony tentpole titles do you think will be released during the holiday seasons of 2024, 2025, and 2026?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Hermen said they plan to release at least one tentpole during the holiday season of each year.

So.. which Sony tentpole titles do you think will be released during the holiday seasons of 2024, 2025, and 2026?

This is what I think:

Regarding 2024:
  • TLOU2R, Helldivers 2, Stellar Blade, MLB, Ronin, Astro, Destiny 2 Final Shape, Concord aren't released in the holiday season, so wouldn't count.
  • I'd say Convallaria, Lost Soul Aside, Until Dawn remake don't count as proven studios and I'd bet they don't aim to be top sellers
  • I think they consider Lego Horizon an experimental title due to many reasons, or maybe even transformational, but not tentpole
  • Several of the announced or released ones are GaaS so would count as transformational instead, not as tentpole. By Totoki's word we shouldn't expect a new entry of existing blockbuster top seller IPs like Horizon for this FY, so should be a new IP instead
  • So I have no idea which is. Maybe it's Cory's new IP (Intergalactic: The Heretic Prophet?), announced in September for November/PS5 Pro release?
Regarding 2025:
  • Pretty likely Death Stranding 2, Venom and/or maybe Cory's new IP (Intergalactic: The Heretic Prophet?)
Regarding 2026:
  • Wolverine, GoT 2, Bend's new IP, Until Dawn 2 (if it is Firesprite's horrow adventure and they codevelop it with Ballistic Moon)
Regarding 2027 (maybe PS6 launch games):
  • ND's next game (new Uncharted?), Housemarque's next game, GoW in a new mythology
Regarding 2028:
  • Horizon 3, Spider-Man 3, GT8 (if it has a meaty enough SP content), Destiny 3 (if has a meaty enough SP content)
Regarding 2029:
  • TLOU3 (6 years of production), new Ratchet & Clank, Bloodborne 2
Regarding 2030:
  • X-Men, Physint, Days Gone 2, ND's new IP (7 years of production)

As reference, in the Business Segment Meeting 2024 Hermen said exactly (00:12:29 of the video):

"We have consistently delivered the highest quality, most beloved narrative experiences available. These tentpole single player releases are our core strength, the foundation of our portfolio. Tentpole are games that will be top sellers in the biggest and most lucrative genres. Either existing hit franchises or new IP for which we have the highest confidence and ambitions. From studios with proved track record in quality and success.

Each calendar year we plan to have at least one tentpole single player launch during the holidays season, showcasing our PlayStation 5 business and brand as well at the peak season of games.

Mantaining this foundation to our porfolio creates the ability to invest in new growth opportunities, predominantly live service games with predictable, persistent revenue streams in proven, succesful genres.

We'll also reserve part our portfolio for experimental opportunities: talented new teams and innovative technology, unlocking new audiences or interesting genres we don't currently serve. Because of the experimental nature of these products we'll limit their number, scope and budget. To unlock further investment these projects must prove that they can scale and that they have a meaningful commercial opportunity and audience.
"

image.png

So "Tentpoles" are:
  • Single player narrative experiences
  • Top sellers in the biggest and most lucrative genres
  • Either sequels or new IPs
  • From proven studios regarding quality and success
"Transformational" are:
  • Growth opportunities
  • Predominantly live services
  • From proven, succesful genres
  • Differentiated via IP, theme or gameplay
"Experimental" are:
  • Growth opportunity unlocking new audiences
  • Smaller titles in scope and budget
  • Sometimes from new teams
  • Sometimes targeting genres not currently served by PS Studios + Bungie
  • Sometimes showcases innovation
  • Will be less common than "tentpole" and "transformational
Totoki said (07:32) regarding the current FY:
"Regarding first-party software, we aim to continue to focus on producing high-quality works and developing live service games. But while major projects are currently under development, we do not plan to release any new major existing franchise titles next fiscal year like God of War Ragnarok and Marvel’s Spider-Man 2.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 2spooky5me

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
2025 will be Marathon, DS2, Venom, Bluepoints game, and Firesprites horror game

2026 will be Ghost 2, FairGame$, Horizon Multiplayer, Cory Barlogs game, Wolverine

2027 will be Naughty Dogs new IP, Bends new game, Housemarques new game, Media Molecules new game, Horizon 3

There will also be a bunch of Xdev games games released inbetween, I wouldn’t doubt a Fromsoft title is in there

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I guess they are counting Concord as the 2024 game.
2025 is either GoT 2 or Venom.
2026 is Wolverine.

OP
OP
Yurinka

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

2026 will be Ghost 2, FairGame$, Horizon Multiplayer, Cory Barlogs game, Wolverine

2027 will be Naughty Dogs new IP, Bends new game, Housemarques new game, Media Molecules new game, Horizon 3

There will also be a bunch of Xdev games games released inbetween, I wouldn’t doubt a Fromsoft title is in there
I guess they are counting Concord as the 2024 game.
2025 is either GoT 2 or Venom.
2026 is Wolverine.
As I posted above Hermen defined "tentpole" as single player, and as far as we know Concord is PvP only instead. And Concord releases in August, not in holidays seasons. And well, I'd say Firewalk counts as a "proven track record in quality and success", but I'd understand many won't. So I think Concord isn't the 2024 one because doesn't release in holidays season and doesn't qualify by their definitions of "tentole".

Bluepoint is now a support team -as they were in GoWR-, they aren't working in their own game.

Great video as always from him, thanks for sharing, even if there are some things I'd fix:
  • Visual Arts is one of Sony's internal teams, they aren't working in their own game. They suppport in basically all Sony games
  • Bluepoint is also is a support game, they must be codeveloping somebody else's game as did in GoWR
  • He forgot to mention Cory's new IP and -I assume they are the same project- Intergalactic: The Heretic Prophet, which was trademarked in February, meaning pretty likely will be announced in September or October
  • Regarding the announcement vs release distance I'd have included Lego Horizon, Concord, Astro, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade too, because adding them we see that the distance has been shortening.

Maybe he's right and Totoki didn't mean only tentpole sequels and he meant that they weren't going to have any tentpole title at all this FY (maybe because they already have a lot of "transformative" and "experimental" ones plus great 3rd party stuff).

And maybe when Hermen said they plan to release at least a tentpole title per holiday season every calendar year he meant starting next year, not this one.

That would be a possible explanation.

Last edited:

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
Kinda feel like the the bigger reveals are going to be showcased around when the Ps5 Pro is revealed so it's hard to say anything at the moment.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
As I posted above Hermen defined "tentpole" as single player, and as far as we know Concord is PvP only instead. And Concord releases in August, not in holidays seasons. And well, I'd say Firewalk counts as a "proven track record in quality and success", but I'd understand many won't. So I think Concord isn't the 2024 one because doesn't release in holidays season and doesn't qualify by their definitions of "tentole".

Bluepoint is now a support team -as they were in GoWR-, they aren't working in their own game.

Great video as always from him, thanks for sharing, even if there are some things I'd fix:
  • Visual Arts is one of Sony's internal teams, they aren't working in their own game. They suppport in basically all Sony games
  • Bluepoint is also is a support game, they must be codeveloping somebody else's game as did in GoWR
  • He forgot to mention Cory's new IP and -I assume they are the same project- Intergalactic: The Heretic Prophet, which was trademarked in February, meaning pretty likely will be announced in September or October
  • Regarding the announcement vs release distance I'd have included Lego Horizon, Concord, Astro, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade too, because adding them we see that the distance has been shortening.

Maybe he's right and Totoki didn't mean only tentpole sequels and he meant that they weren't going to have any tentpole title at all this FY (maybe because they already have a lot of "transformative" and "experimental" ones plus great 3rd party stuff).

And maybe when Hermen said they plan to release at least a tentpole title per holiday season every calendar year he meant starting next year, not this one.

Why do you think that heretic prophet game is corys?

24 Jun 2022
[2025]

Death Stranding 2 (PS5/PC)

[2026]

Wolverine (PS5)

Ghost of Tsushima 2 (PS5)

[2027]

Venom (PS5)

Wolverine (PC)

Ghosts of Tsushima 2 (PC)

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023

If that is your standard then Astrobot in September doesn't count either and the answer is that there is no 2024 tent pole.

Reactions: Box
OP
OP
Yurinka

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
If that is your standard then Astrobot in September doesn't count either and the answer is that there is no 2024 tent pole.
It isn't "my" standard, I quoted in the OP the two times Sony defined the "tentpole" games. I also mentioned there why I think Astro wouldn't count (In this case because of the release date, but I also assume they don't aim for huge sales with this title) and why I can't find what is their tentpole for 2024 (unless they announce it's Cory's new IP, the trademarked Intergalactic: The Heretic Prophet).

Plus I also added there Totoki's quote that maybe also could be interpreted as no tentpole this year, or at least no tentpole sequel.

It also may depend on what Hermen meant by 'holidays season': I understand this refers to November and December. Maybe October too. If it includes September -I assume this isn't correct- and if they have high hopes for it being a super seller (doubt it) then Astro Bot would be their tentpole holidays game for this year.

But in that case would be hard to match it with Totokis words, unless they could consider that a tentpole even if aiming for great sales doesn't need to achieve GoWR/Spider-Man 2 levels.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
I can't believe they won't do anything Bloodborne related in 2025 for the 10 year anniversary. We don't even know if Souls games will still be trendy in 2028/2030 when the ps6 releases if they want to go the remake route instead.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I can't believe they won't do anything Bloodborne related in 2025 for the 10 year anniversary. We don't even know if Souls games will still be trendy in 2028/2030 when the ps6 releases if they want to go the remake route instead.

I'm sure we will get another remake of TLOU instead for the ps5 pro

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023

Also Destiny 3 should fall in there somewhere.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
2024 - Nothing
2025 - Death Stranding
2026 - Wolverine
2027 - Nothing
2028 - PS6 launch line up: Bloodborne Remake, Venon (crossgen), LBP4 (crossgen)

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
2024 is Lego Horizon
2025 Death Stranding 2 and the rumored Venom game from Insomniac.
2027 GoT2, Bends game
2028 Santa Monica's game
2029 Naughty Dog's game
2030 Physint (Kojima's stealth game)
2031 Xmen coop game from Insomniac

It should also be noted that Sony corp can take any of its hit IP and make it a multiplat/PC port to boost sales in the holiday quarter such as Lego Horizon. If this year is any indication Sony will do quite well software wise in the holiday quarter with Astro Bot and Lego Horizon but I'm not into those games, those games should entice parents though.

peter42O

Veteran
Icon Extra
12 Jan 2024
2024 - Lego Horizon Adventure
2025 - Marvel's Venom
2026 - Marvel's Wolverine

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
The only way I see them having a holiday release (considering new IP is apparently off the table) is having a release game for the PS5 Pro. However, considering Astrobot is October and Lego Horizon is "Holiday", thus November or December, I doubt they have anything else releasing this year.

Next year they HAVE to have at least 2 major SP AAA games coming out, it's inexcusable if they don't. And I'm not counting Death Stranding.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
2024 - Astrobot, Concord
2025 - Death Stranding 2, Ghost of Tsushima 2, Sony Bend new IP, Naughty Dog new IP, Venom, Marathon
2026 - Cory Barlog new IP, Bluepoint Game, Wolverine
2027 - Destiny 3, Fairgame$
2028 - PS5 launch, Spiderman 3, Housemarque new IP, TLOU3
2029 - Ratchet, God of War 6
2030 - Xmen, Helldivers 3

Considering what we know (mainly Insomniacs release schedule) and conjecture we can make the next 5 years should be packed. Really feels like they are reloading right now and the next phase should.eclipse the 2017-2020 run

Maybe ambitious on SSM and Naughty Dog games being so close together but I can't imagine that TLOU3 isn't being worked on already and even 2028 feels ambitious - which would still be 8 years between games. Though maybe I'm overestimating Nuaghty Dog as they don't seem to be putting anyone but Druckmann in the director's chair and he only has so much time

I also can't imagine the next GOW being any later than 2029, that will already be 7 years between entries

Interesting when you lay it out like this. Really all the devs should be pumping out game after game in the next few years just based on 5 year dev cycles and if they aren't then a lot of people need to be fired at Sony

2028 also interesting. That seems like the right year for PS5 and will also be when Spiderman 3 is targeted which would be a huge launch game

Insomniacs roadmap is insane though. Surely they won't be able to deliver this
Screenshot_20240612_193733_Chrome.jpg

Last edited: