Which underrated Playstation studio will put out a banger this gen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Just vote for the one most likely, in your opinion based on what you know. When I say hit game, i obviously mean something that mid-80’s or higher, receives universal acclaim, a GOTY nomination or awards, sort of like Housemarque, Insomniac, Suckerpunch …etc

Bend (Days Gone, Syphon Filter, Uncharted: Golden Abyss) 2000 - “Working on a new original IP that builds on the open-world systems from Days Gone”

Pixelopus (Entwined, Concrete Genie) 2014 - “Working on a new original IP in collaboration with Sony Pictures Animation”

London Studio (The Getaway, Blood & Truth, Various VR titles) 2002 - “working on a PS5 multiplayer game (fantasy-magic based according to job listings)”

Firesprite (The Persistence, Horizon Call of The Mountain, The Playroom titles) 2021 - “currently working on Horizon VR game, also rumored to be working on Twisted Metal reboot, A narrative driven horror game, and another multiplayer”

Who’s project are you most excited to see, which one do you think will be a hit?

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Probably Sony Bend. Feels the closest and could see Days Gone being their Uncharted 1 / infamous equivalent before breaking through

Probably good they can start fresh with a new IP too

Second is Bluepoint. No idea what an original game from them could be but they've cut their teeth working on the projects of GOAT games and would have learned a lot from that.

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I think im personally really interested in Pixelopus. I loved Concrete Genie but it was pretty small in scope. With a bigger budget, sony pictures animation involved, and now that this is rumored to be more combat oriented and have rpg mechanics i think it will be a big game. I except it to look better than Kena

e43e5e6a167933b5abe6f5386302bbdd.jpg

The-Mitchells-vs.-The-Machines-Spider-Verse.jpg

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
So help me god London Studio better put out that Getway Reboot!

We need that next gen GTA rival, but in the UK.

1116321120_321120_000002_album_normal.jpg

I need them to be saying shit like "bruv" lol
M8!

I want it very hard to understand like top boy

It kind of crazy that if they made a new getaway it would look better than the cinematic

Reactions: EDMIX

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
For me Bend have nothing to prove, they have a long tradition of great games and many of them very successful for the time and the platform where they were released. I think their next IP will sell over 10M like Days Gone but will have better reviews.

Firesprite grew a lot and has a lot of talent from many top studios like Liverpool Studio, Evolution and Bizarre Creations classics and many other top teams. But maybe need to make a AAA lead by them as Firesprite to get the recognition from the people.

Pixel Opus is growing and working on a AAA game with Sony Pictures Animations, which I think will surprise many people.

Arrowhead is working on a AAA since many years ago. If it's for Sony I think it will also get noticed and surprise people that until now ignored their great and big selling top down shooters because they weren't FPS/TPS AAA games.

Most lead and senior Bluepoint staff comes from making masterpieces like the Metroid Prime games, Diablo 2, World of Warcraft and many top tier classics more. Many people think they only know how to make remasters and remakes and are wrong: they have a ton of people who made top tier original games for Nintendo, Activision or Sony before joining Bluepoint. I think they will surprise people with their original games.

Most of the Team Asobi that made Astro's Playroom came from the other Japan Studio internal teams that made many gems. With the restructuring more poeple from the other Japan Studio dev teams got merged into Team Asobi. I think their next games will surprise -specially with non Astro games- the ones who believed the "they killed Japan Studio" lie.

I also think Haven's game will surprise people and will be super successful. They are super talented making new IP but I think this time they won't make something action oriented, which may dissapoint people. I expect them to make something like a mixture of The Sims, Animal Crossing, Minecraft, Dreams, PS Home, Fortnite (not the shooter part) or GTA online (its social part). A persistent world where you socialize with other players and where you can customize and share stuff with other player, and use what they made as tools/source material to make more stuff. More focused on user generated content and social than in action or in a scripted story.

London is also working on a AAA game but unlike the previous teams I'm not confident about them. I'm confident about them when making smaller scale stuff like Singstar or VR things, but not a big ass AAA.

Last edited:

SSfox

Enter The Fox
21 Jun 2022
Shadow Moses
I'm not that excited for any of those studios tbh, except Bend but even then, too many people have left the studio, so gonna have to the proof in.

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I'm not that excited for any of those studios tbh, except Bend but even then, too many people have left the studio, so gonna have to the proof in.

I think they trimmed the right amount of fat. Not a fan of John Garvins writing at all and him and Ross seemed like they were mostly at odds with most of the studio

Looking forward to Ron Allen taking the reigns

24 Jun 2022
I think im personally really interested in Pixelopus. I loved Concrete Genie but it was pretty small in scope. With a bigger budget, sony pictures animation involved, and now that this is rumored to be more combat oriented and have rpg mechanics i think it will be a big game. I except it to look better than Kena

e43e5e6a167933b5abe6f5386302bbdd.jpg

The-Mitchells-vs.-The-Machines-Spider-Verse.jpg

Yeah, it was a tough pick for me between them and Firesprite, but I voted Firesprite simply because we know a (bit) more about what they're working on and that horror game could be something quite interesting, and of course Twisted Metal.

But Pixelopus's new game could be a big success itself depending on what exactly it entails.

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Yeah, it was a tough pick for me between them and Firesprite, but I voted Firesprite simply because we know a (bit) more about what they're working on and that horror game could be something quite interesting, and of course Twisted Metal.

But Pixelopus's new game could be a big success itself depending on what exactly it entails.

This was a job listing for their new game

Screenshot_2022-07-03_at_10.03.29_pm.png

t9yhi3.png

Status
Not open for further replies.