Who in games media do you respect?

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
I observe the landscape that is games media. I watch various Youtubers, I'll read from various games outlets, I'll listen to various podcasts and I come away with the following realization...

There is almost nobody in games media that I think gives genuinely interesting or intelligent takes. I hear the same concepts regurgitated using different words by just about everybody. Plenty of likeable, decent people but few who I listen to and think "Wow, that's an interestin position I haven't thought of before". Here's a few people that I feel can provide interesting insight into the hobby we all love.

Richard Hoeg from The Bitcast Podcast. I generally respect is takes on the business of games and he doesn't seem to succumb to groupthink.

David Jaffe. He says a lot of stuff that doesn't appeal to me but just as I'm about to turn him off he'll provide a unique take on something interesting.

Hit the Limit Break Podcast. I just started listening to a new podcast that interviews game developers in the industry who aren't trying to sell their new game. Love this.

Can you think of any media or media personalities that you feel provide something more than the usual talking points?

• haha
Reactions: Umar and Gediminas

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
Colin Mortiarty/Last Stand Media. Even when he operated within the vanilla games media landscape, he didn’t give me the vibe he was there just to be liked by his peers. He’s practically been ousted from that space. I don’t listen to his podcast regularly but I will make it a point to check out his take when there’s a controversial moment happening.

BrokenGamezHDR. He’s been around for something like 15 years now. Weapon Wheel podcast is okay for a change of pace. All members of that crew operate like they don’t give a damn about being popular, which is commendable.

David Jaffe. Another guy not a part of legacy games media, and has the added bonus of actually making amazing games. A bit of a contrarian I suspect, I don’t listen regularly. His clips are always interesting depending on the topic.

Gamer2323. PlayStation guy, very funny.

I talk so much shit myself I don’t feel the need to consume a bunch of gaming related commentary. Most “content creators” for video games are just that, content farms fishing for whatever take will get them more views. I could name dozens of these guys.

Last edited:

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
images

• haha
Reactions: Bryank75

Orangee

3 Mar 2024
MBG larping for 4 hours and arguing with his chat about this random PlayStation topic that just appeared mid stream is the best thing that happend to gaming media. (Especially his reaction to Concord getting shutdown)

• haha
Reactions: MiyazakiLovesKojima

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Mighty keef has some takes that are basically spot on.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Kingthrash use to speak loads of sense and his predictions was spot on. He also has good doc series and some great console warrior anime.

Easy Allies was good before.
Dualshockers and VG247 use to be good till they went of the rails completely.

The one i check the most now is Fextralife. Great reviews.

Reactions: Sircaw

MiyazakiLovesKojima

Colin Mortiarty/Last Stand Media. Even when he operated within the vanilla games media landscape, he didn’t give me the vibe he was there just to be liked by his peers. He’s practically been ousted from that space. I don’t listen to his podcast regularly but I will make it a point to check out his take when there’s a controversial moment happening.
@Sircaw would definitely enjoy my Last Stand with Colin 🤡

• haha
Reactions: Bryank75

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Skillup only. Otherwise game specific creators. All the console dedicated shows are sponsored ads.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
None. The only outfit that does anything remotely resembling investigative journalism is Steve from Gamers Nexus, but he is pretty much exclusively focused on the PC hardware sector. The rest of these clowns sit on Twitter and Reddit all day, get occasional emails from Microsoft marketing or game company PR and regurgitate it uncritically. You can't take any "game journalist" seriously regarding anything that actually matters. Even Schreier cannot help but insert his own bullshit opinions and craft narratives that shit his worldview in his reporting.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
None. The only outfit that does anything remotely resembling investigative journalism is Steve from Gamers Nexus, but he is pretty much exclusively focused on the PC hardware sector. The rest of these clowns sit on Twitter and Reddit all day, get occasional emails from Microsoft marketing or game company PR and regurgitate it uncritically. You can't take any "game journalist" seriously regarding anything that actually matters. Even Schreier cannot help but insert his own bullshit opinions and craft narratives that shit his worldview in his reporting.

As someone who did game’s media for a decade. It was corrupt then. PR companies representing EA to Nintendo ask for promised scores in order to guarantee future reviewable copies being free, etc….

I still don’t see any real journalism aside from leak coverage. They rush review scores. Pass previews off as reviews to make release date with fraud reviews. Or are hacks that are just there because they couldn’t do an actual job.

Content creators on YouTube? Most of those guys work hard daily. They definitely have my respect. And thankfully they’re the reason games press is struggling and complete joke. No one reads the content … the only reason publications are still relevant is for meta score dick measuring; the substance is always ignored because most trust YouTubers.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: anonpuffs

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
As someone who did game’s media for a decade. It was corrupt then. PR companies representing EA to Nintendo ask for promised scores in order to guarantee future reviewable copies being free, etc….

I still don’t see any real journalism aside from leak coverage. They rush review scores. Pass previews off as reviews to make release date with fraud reviews. Or are hacks that are just there because they couldn’t do an actual job.

Content creators on YouTube? Most of those guys work hard daily. They definitely have my respect. And thankfully they’re the reason games press is struggling and complete joke. No one reads the content … the only reason publications are still relevant is for meta score dick measuring; the substance is always ignored because most trust YouTubers.
Most YouTubers are compromised too. Unless they are very small.
Later, they get the treatment like other 'no integrity' journalists. Travels, free games and shit.

• Cerny
Reactions: MiyazakiLovesKojima

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Most YouTubers are compromised too. Unless they are very small.
Later, they get the treatment like other 'no integrity' journalists. Travels, free games and shit.

The console specific ones… don’t trust those at all. It seems like game or genre specific creators are more popular and respected generally. I’m not talking about the sponsored twitch players … (i sorta think twitch metrics are obsolete since they indicate streamer popularity and not the games).

They also specialize in their coverage so it’s generally accurate/honest. And if you like those types of games, when those gamers are interested in something else; it’s very likely it’ll possibly appeal to you.

You’re not going to agree with everyone. It’s a subjective medium. Find those you trust or identify with in some form and they might steer you towards stuff you may also like.

It’s kinda why I never trust online game reviews. Critics are out of touch or don’t understand. You need the players for those real impressions

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

Some of the "reviewers" don't even play the game. They might do 4-5 hours then go to discord and ask their buddies and just crib notes off them.