Who in games media do you respect?

toadsage44

22 Jun 2022
West Virginia, USA
I used to listen to Retronauts a lot. They don't cover new games, as the name suggests, but I really enjoy their hour+ deep dives into retro games and series. The podcast has been going on for more than a decade, so there are hundreds of episodes and they've covered just about every series you can think of at this point. Unfortunately, they've changed their format up a lot in the past year or two, and went from having a regular cast with rotating guests to a cast made almost entirely of rotating guests. Jeremy Parish was the main reason I got into Retronauts in the first place, because I enjoy watching his videos on YouTube, so when they cut him out of the cast, I jumped ship.

Reactions: Vertigo

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Anyone watch any “fun” YouTubers?

I actually enjoy Kevduit’s content just for the jokes but you can tell when he’s actually having fun vs just ripping on an a trash game and that’s always cool to see displayed.

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
Sal Romano of Gematsu is always on the the spot to give you unbiased Japanese gaming news daily
Anyone watch any “fun” YouTubers?

I actually enjoy Kevduit’s content just for the jokes but you can tell when he’s actually having fun vs just ripping on an a trash game and that’s always cool to see displayed.
VideogameDunkey
Yahtzee Crowshaw

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I like Colin at Last Stand.

I watch Reforge Gaming when I can, he really covers topics very thoroughly and is very professional.

Shinobi602 on Twitter

News sites are far trickier now... Insider gaming and Video Games Chronicle are pretty decent.

But most my news and updates come through our forum and Twitter.

I also get news early through some contacts...

I really can't say who I respect beyond that.... But that is who I trust the most out of who is there.

Many people have been pushed out of left the industry that I used to like.

Ico

Icon Extra
8 May 2024
mostly jerma, i think he is funny and he doesnt care that much about platforms or stuff, only gaming

Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
Men_in_Boxes

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
I watch Reforge Gaming when I can, he really covers topics very thoroughly and is very professional.
Lono has been giving some absolutely insane takes about GAAS recently. He thinks Bungie should cancel Marathon right as it nears release.

steve-martin-thinking.gif

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Two entirely different games at two entirely different points in their development cycle.

Your response is illogical.
You keep moving goalpost, i thought you spoke about GaaS?
Factions were GaaS. Both are in the same release windows, both Playstation studios games.

But look, Lono is insane, when you can't defend you point for critic for 5 seconds 😂

OP
OP
Men_in_Boxes

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
You keep moving goalpost, i thought you spoke about GaaS?
Factions were GaaS. Both are in the same release windows, both Playstation studios games.

But look, Lono is insane, when you can't defend you point for critic for 5 seconds 😂
What? I can't even comprehend your point.

Savagefrogdemon

13 Feb 2023
Jeff Gerstmann was fired by gamespot for giving a game a bad review very experienced and openly talks about the bullshit politics that publishers place on journalism in the industry. 20 plus years in the biz he has seen it all.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Lono has been giving some absolutely insane takes about GAAS recently. He thinks Bungie should cancel Marathon right as it nears release.

steve-martin-thinking.gif
Well, I don't always agree with everything he says.

I think Marathon looks very interesting from what we have seen. Hopefully they do not go the hero shooter route. More people like to customize their character and chase cool gear.

But Destiny is where it's at and they need to get a D3 out as soon as they can with the highest quality possible.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Even with his own set of issues as journalist I only respect Jason in the industry.

As marketing man and hoster my respect goes to Doritos Pope.

IMO the industry has a bit chunk of weak bloggers and biased fans trying to look e like “journalists”.

Edit - I took media as the press media and not person that works in games… maybe I mistook the OP call.

• they're_right_you_know

Savagefrogdemon

13 Feb 2023
Well, I don't always agree with everything he says.

I think Marathon looks very interesting from what we have seen. Hopefully they do not go the hero shooter route. More people like to customize their character and chase cool gear.

But Destiny is where it's at and they need to get a D3 out as soon as they can with the highest quality possible.

Wasn't the word on Marathon that it was in trouble with two project leads quitting and developers saying the recent builds of the game are a mess?

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Wasn't the word on Marathon that it was in trouble with two project leads quitting and developers saying the recent builds of the game are a mess?

No. The director was replaced by Valorant’s Joe Ziegler almost a year and a half ago due to sexual harassment scandal. No one said anything about recent builds. Only impressions revealed were from a year ago from tarkov players invited to play test . The problem w/ Mararhon is the delays. It was supposed to be out already.

Marathon will not have heroes but character kits and loadouts. The players are androids.

• Shake
OP
OP
Men_in_Boxes

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024

You don't cancel a game nearing the final year of its development based on rumors. Come on man, think.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
As someone who did game’s media for a decade. It was corrupt then. PR companies representing EA to Nintendo ask for promised scores in order to guarantee future reviewable copies being free, etc….

I still don’t see any real journalism aside from leak coverage. They rush review scores. Pass previews off as reviews to make release date with fraud reviews. Or are hacks that are just there because they couldn’t do an actual job.

Content creators on YouTube? Most of those guys work hard daily. They definitely have my respect. And thankfully they’re the reason games press is struggling and complete joke. No one reads the content … the only reason publications are still relevant is for meta score dick measuring; the substance is always ignored because most trust YouTubers.
I still can't believe the scores Baldur's Gate 3 received, I mean its like no one played Act 2 and 3 for the reviews. The whole of act 3 was full of bugs but they went and scored it 96. The game awards for last year were absolutely shambolic, ToTK was robbed by the circlejerking.

2021 and 2023 showed the cesspit that is game awards, No one understood the brilliance of returnal